Prevent loading items from /boot/loader.conf - BSD

This is a discussion on Prevent loading items from /boot/loader.conf - BSD ; Hi, I'm playing around with gmirror. I set geom_mirror_load="YES" at /boot/loader.conf. Is there a way from the boot menu to suppress loading geom for what soever reason? I tried "disable-module geom_mirror" which didn't work. Thanks, Helmut -- No Swen today, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Prevent loading items from /boot/loader.conf

  1. Prevent loading items from /boot/loader.conf

    Hi,

    I'm playing around with gmirror. I set geom_mirror_load="YES" at
    /boot/loader.conf.

    Is there a way from the boot menu to suppress loading geom for what soever
    reason? I tried "disable-module geom_mirror" which didn't work.

    Thanks, Helmut

    --
    No Swen today, my love has gone away
    My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn


  2. Re: Prevent loading items from /boot/loader.conf

    Helmut Schneider wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm playing around with gmirror. I set geom_mirror_load="YES" at
    > /boot/loader.conf.
    >
    > Is there a way from the boot menu to suppress loading geom for what soever
    > reason? I tried "disable-module geom_mirror" which didn't work.
    >
    > Thanks, Helmut
    >


    Remove the line in loader.conf ?


    --

    Michel TALON


  3. Re: Prevent loading items from /boot/loader.conf

    Michel Talon wrote:
    > Helmut Schneider wrote:
    >> I'm playing around with gmirror. I set geom_mirror_load="YES" at
    >> /boot/loader.conf.
    >>
    >> Is there a way from the boot menu to suppress loading geom for what
    >> soever reason? I tried "disable-module geom_mirror" which didn't work.

    >
    > Remove the line in loader.conf ?


    I had a typo at /etc/fstab and was (probably because of my KVM-over-IP
    switch) not able to type anything at the mountroot prompt while the keyboard
    worked fine at the boot loader. Booting from a live CD to mount the disk,
    alter /etc/fstab and/or /boot/load.conf sucks at that point - especially
    when you're at home starring at the remote console, incapable of action.

    --
    No Swen today, my love has gone away
    My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn


  4. Re: Prevent loading items from /boot/loader.conf

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 16:09:08 UTC, talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr (Michel Talon)
    wrote:

    > Helmut Schneider wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm playing around with gmirror. I set geom_mirror_load="YES" at
    > > /boot/loader.conf.
    > >
    > > Is there a way from the boot menu to suppress loading geom for what soever
    > > reason? I tried "disable-module geom_mirror" which didn't work.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Helmut
    > >

    >
    > Remove the line in loader.conf ?


    Which editor would you invoke from the boot menu?

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..
    http://tinyurl.com/2xqr6h


  5. Re: Prevent loading items from /boot/loader.conf

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:26:49 UTC, "Helmut Schneider"
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm playing around with gmirror. I set geom_mirror_load="YES" at
    > /boot/loader.conf.
    >
    > Is there a way from the boot menu to suppress loading geom for what soever
    > reason? I tried "disable-module geom_mirror" which didn't work.


    When you say 'boot menu', I take it you mean the boot loader prompt? The
    one that prompts 'OK?'..

    If so, how about:

    unset geom_mirror_load

    If you don't mean that prompt, then please clarify.

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..
    http://tinyurl.com/2xqr6h


  6. Re: Prevent loading items from /boot/loader.conf

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:26:49 UTC, "Helmut Schneider"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm playing around with gmirror. I set geom_mirror_load="YES" at
    >> /boot/loader.conf.
    >>
    >> Is there a way from the boot menu to suppress loading geom for what
    >> soever reason? I tried "disable-module geom_mirror" which didn't work.

    >
    > When you say 'boot menu', I take it you mean the boot loader prompt? The
    > one that prompts 'OK?'..


    Yes.

    > If so, how about:
    >
    > unset geom_mirror_load
    >
    > If you don't mean that prompt, then please clarify.


    OK unset geom_mirror_load
    no such file or directory
    OK disable-module geom_mirror
    geom_mirror will not be loaded.
    OK

    But it is loading regardless.

    --
    No Swen today, my love has gone away
    My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn

  7. Re: Prevent loading items from /boot/loader.conf

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 18:08:38 UTC, "Helmut Schneider"
    wrote:

    > Bob Eager wrote:
    > > On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:26:49 UTC, "Helmut Schneider"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm playing around with gmirror. I set geom_mirror_load="YES" at
    > >> /boot/loader.conf.
    > >>
    > >> Is there a way from the boot menu to suppress loading geom for what
    > >> soever reason? I tried "disable-module geom_mirror" which didn't work.

    > >
    > > When you say 'boot menu', I take it you mean the boot loader prompt? The
    > > one that prompts 'OK?'..

    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > > If so, how about:
    > >
    > > unset geom_mirror_load
    > >
    > > If you don't mean that prompt, then please clarify.

    >
    > OK unset geom_mirror_load
    > no such file or directory
    > OK disable-module geom_mirror
    > geom_mirror will not be loaded.
    > OK
    >
    > But it is loading regardless.


    Guess it's already loaded. So:

    unload geom_mirror

    then boot?

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..
    http://tinyurl.com/2xqr6h


  8. Re: Prevent loading items from /boot/loader.conf

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 20:08:38 +0200, "Helmut Schneider" wrote:
    > Bob Eager wrote:
    >> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:26:49 UTC, "Helmut Schneider"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm playing around with gmirror. I set geom_mirror_load="YES" at
    >>> /boot/loader.conf.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way from the boot menu to suppress loading geom for what
    >>> soever reason? I tried "disable-module geom_mirror" which didn't work.

    >>
    >> When you say 'boot menu', I take it you mean the boot loader prompt? The
    >> one that prompts 'OK?'..

    >
    > Yes.
    >
    >> If so, how about:
    >>
    >> unset geom_mirror_load
    >>
    >> If you don't mean that prompt, then please clarify.

    >
    > OK unset geom_mirror_load
    > no such file or directory
    > OK disable-module geom_mirror
    > geom_mirror will not be loaded.
    > OK


    Try `unload'. This unloads everything, and you can manually load only
    the bits you want.

    OK unload
    OK load kernel
    OK load snd_hda
    OK boot


  9. Re: Prevent loading items from /boot/loader.conf

    Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 20:08:38 +0200, "Helmut Schneider"
    > wrote:
    >> Bob Eager wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:26:49 UTC, "Helmut Schneider"
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I'm playing around with gmirror. I set geom_mirror_load="YES" at
    >>>> /boot/loader.conf.
    >>>>
    >>>> Is there a way from the boot menu to suppress loading geom for what
    >>>> soever reason? I tried "disable-module geom_mirror" which didn't work.
    >>>
    >>> When you say 'boot menu', I take it you mean the boot loader prompt? The
    >>> one that prompts 'OK?'..

    >>
    >> Yes.
    >>
    >>> If so, how about:
    >>>
    >>> unset geom_mirror_load
    >>>
    >>> If you don't mean that prompt, then please clarify.

    >>
    >> OK unset geom_mirror_load
    >> no such file or directory
    >> OK disable-module geom_mirror
    >> geom_mirror will not be loaded.
    >> OK

    >
    > Try `unload'. This unloads everything, and you can manually load only
    > the bits you want.
    >
    > OK unload
    > OK load kernel
    > OK load snd_hda
    > OK boot



    That one's foine, thanks.

    --
    No Swen today, my love has gone away
    My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn


+ Reply to Thread