fsck for one partition - BSD

This is a discussion on fsck for one partition - BSD ; Hello, on my server I try to install BSD 7. I had run Vmware on an Ubuntu Edgy and installed the BSD with a generic kernel on a native HDD. So I can chage the bootdevice and I can run ...

  1. fsck for one partition

    Hello,

    on my server I try to install BSD 7. I had run Vmware on an Ubuntu Edgy
    and installed the BSD with a generic kernel on a native HDD. So I can
    chage the bootdevice and I can run the BSD. Normally the
    server starts Ubuntu and I can setup the BSD till I have all services
    running and then I can switch.

    Under the VM the BSD runs correctly. If I start the BSD with change the
    bootsequence, it would run into an error. BSD boots and can't mount
    /usr (I have created the partitions during the setup automaticlly.
    After the Setup I have labeld with glabel and changed the fstab). Under
    the VM runs the BSD without any problems, but I try to boot it from the
    BIOS I get this error.

    fsck runs under the VM without errors

    Can anyone help me? I have no idea to solve.

    Thanks

    Phil

  2. Re: fsck for one partition

    Philipp Kraus wrote:
    > Under the VM the BSD runs correctly. If I start the BSD with change the
    > bootsequence, it would run into an error. BSD boots and can't mount
    > /usr (I have created the partitions during the setup automaticlly.
    > After the Setup I have labeld with glabel and changed the fstab). Under
    > the VM runs the BSD without any problems, but I try to boot it from the
    > BIOS I get this error.

    What error?

    > fsck runs under the VM without errors
    >
    > Can anyone help me? I have no idea to solve.

    Hardly, as long as you don't say what the problem is. No, you *did not*
    tell it.

    Martin

    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.

  3. Re: fsck for one partition

    Hi,

    On 2008-07-12 16:17:59 +0200, Martin Etteldorf said:

    > Philipp Kraus wrote:
    >> Under the VM the BSD runs correctly. If I start the BSD with change the
    >> bootsequence, it would run into an error. BSD boots and can't mount
    >> /usr (I have created the partitions during the setup automaticlly.
    >> After the Setup I have labeld with glabel and changed the fstab). Under
    >> the VM runs the BSD without any problems, but I try to boot it from the
    >> BIOS I get this error.

    > What error?

    sorry.

    BSD try to mount all partitions and can't mount /usr. I should run fsck
    to repair
    the partition (with B option). I call fsck with the option and now I
    get the error, that it can't
    repaire, because there is a "bad block". I get this messages only I
    start BSD from BIOS.

    Now I start my VM with the same BSD. The VM use the HDD directly. I
    don't get an error, all
    mountpoints will be set and the systems runs without errors.

    I don't understand it, because the BSD is installed on a physical HDD,
    that I use as the HDD in the VM and on my computer. On one side it runs
    under VM on the other side it runs directly on my system. But I use a
    generic kernel so all hardware should be detected. Why I get an error
    only on one partition, if there is an error with harddisk devices, it
    shouldn't mount everything.

    Thanks

    Phil

  4. Re: fsck for one partition

    Philipp Kraus wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On 2008-07-12 16:17:59 +0200, Martin Etteldorf said:
    >
    >> Philipp Kraus wrote:
    >>> Under the VM the BSD runs correctly. If I start the BSD with change the
    >>> bootsequence, it would run into an error. BSD boots and can't mount
    >>> /usr (I have created the partitions during the setup automaticlly.
    >>> After the Setup I have labeld with glabel and changed the fstab). Under
    >>> the VM runs the BSD without any problems, but I try to boot it from the
    >>> BIOS I get this error.

    >> What error?

    > sorry.
    >
    > BSD try to mount all partitions and can't mount /usr. I should run fsck
    > to repair
    > the partition (with B option). I call fsck with the option and now I
    > get the error, that it can't
    > repaire, because there is a "bad block". I get this messages only I
    > start BSD from BIOS.

    Again: What's the *exact error message*?
    I venture to doubt that the system is telling you "bad block".

    > I don't understand it, because the BSD is installed on a physical HDD,
    > that I use as the HDD in the VM and on my computer. On one side it runs
    > under VM on the other side it runs directly on my system. But I use a
    > generic kernel so all hardware should be detected. Why I get an error
    > only on one partition, if there is an error with harddisk devices, it
    > shouldn't mount everything.

    Maybe you should start with posting the actual error message instead
    of something you made up.
    If I may hazard a guess, I'd assume you're getting a "bad super block"
    error message. The solution for this would be quite simple:
    Get your fstab entries right.

    Martin
    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.
    Do all that you know, and try all that you don't;
    Not a chance must be wasted to-day!"

  5. Re: fsck for one partition

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 at 17:05 -0000, Martin Etteldorf wrote:

    > Maybe you should start with posting the actual error message instead
    > of something you made up. If I may hazard a guess, I'd assume you're
    > getting a "bad super block" error message. The solution for this
    > would be quite simple: Get your fstab entries right.

    My guess is that under the virtual machine the disk is appearing as
    the first drive (ad0), but on the host machine the drive has a
    different designation (ad1, ad2 or ad3).

    Give us the output of the df command for FreeBSD under emulation and
    for your Linux host system.

    I have been running FreeBSD under kvm recently, but have not yet tried
    booting the FreeBSD instance on the host system. It should be
    possible to do so.

    You might need to reinstall the virtual instance to more closely match
    the host configuration. In particular, if you are putting the FreeBSD
    partitions on sdb, you may need to reconfigure VMWare to assign that
    drive as disk 1 instead of disk 0.

    disk 0 == da0 == sda == hda
    disk 1 == da1 == sdb == hdb
    disk 2 == da2 == sdc == hdc
    disk 3 == da3 == sdd == hdd

    For kvm/qemu the command might be something like:

    kvm -boot c -snapshot -m 256 -hdb /dev/sdb -cdrom 6.3-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

    Stuart
    --
    I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
    -- Daniel Boone

  6. Re: fsck for one partition

    Stuart Barkley wrote:

    >> Maybe you should start with posting the actual error message instead
    >> of something you made up. If I may hazard a guess, I'd assume you're
    >> getting a "bad super block" error message. The solution for this
    >> would be quite simple: Get your fstab entries right.

    > My guess is that under the virtual machine the disk is appearing as
    > the first drive (ad0), but on the host machine the drive has a
    > different designation (ad1, ad2 or ad3).

    That's what I was saying, right.

    Martin
    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.
    Do all that you know, and try all that you don't;
    Not a chance must be wasted to-day!"

+ Reply to Thread