FBSD Boot Loader & ZFS File System - BSD

This is a discussion on FBSD Boot Loader & ZFS File System - BSD ; Anyone have a hack that will allow FBSDs boot-loader to mount / on a ZFS file system? I want to install and boot FBSD on ZFS. The problem is freebsd's the boot loader. I can set up a ZFS files ...

  1. FBSD Boot Loader & ZFS File System

    Anyone have a hack that will allow FBSDs boot-loader to mount / on a
    ZFS file system? I want to install and boot FBSD on ZFS. The problem is
    freebsd's the boot loader. I can set up a ZFS files system and move
    those partitions to / /tmp /var /usr /home etc but can't make it boot
    */* What would you suggest I do about it?

    I've been at this for hours trying to make it work. I've had no luck.

    TIA

  2. Re: FBSD Boot Loader & ZFS File System

    Timmy wrote:
    > Anyone have a hack that will allow FBSDs boot-loader to mount / on a
    > ZFS file system? I want to install and boot FBSD on ZFS. The problem is

    boot from zfs is currently not possible, according to the wiki:
    http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS
    (second result from "freebsd zfs boot" on Google...)
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  3. Re: FBSD Boot Loader & ZFS File System

    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Timmy wrote:
    >> Anyone have a hack that will allow FBSDs boot-loader to mount / on a
    >> ZFS file system? I want to install and boot FBSD on ZFS. The problem is

    > boot from zfs is currently not possible, according to the wiki:
    > http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS
    > (second result from "freebsd zfs boot" on Google...)

    And of course the first result is a blog, which describes the kind of
    hack you're looking for
    https://www.ish.com.au/solutions/articles/freebsdzfs

    Good luck!
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  4. Re: FBSD Boot Loader & ZFS File System

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:45:05 +0200
    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

    > Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > > Timmy wrote:
    > >> Anyone have a hack that will allow FBSDs boot-loader to mount / on
    > >> a ZFS file system? I want to install and boot FBSD on ZFS. The
    > >> problem is

    > > boot from zfs is currently not possible, according to the wiki:
    > > http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS
    > > (second result from "freebsd zfs boot" on Google...)

    > And of course the first result is a blog, which describes the kind of
    > hack you're looking for
    > https://www.ish.com.au/solutions/articles/freebsdzfs

    I have ZFS setup by following those instructions. The problem is with
    booting ZFS on (/) ... is what I'm having problems with.

    FreeBsd's bootloader WILL NOT BOOT A ZFS file system. You can mount ZFS
    file system but not boot from it. I've been hacking at the bootloader
    for days, I just can't get it to work.

    Torfinn, how do you boot / with ZFS?

    Please tell me.

    TIA.

  5. Re: FBSD Boot Loader & ZFS File System

    Timmy wrote:
    > I have ZFS setup by following those instructions. The problem is with
    > booting ZFS on (/) ... is what I'm having problems with.

    As said before in this thread - that is not possible. Not yet, anyway.

    > FreeBsd's bootloader WILL NOT BOOT A ZFS file system.

    Yes, we know that already.

    > You can mount ZFS file system but not boot from it.

    We know that too.

    > I've been hacking at the bootloader for days, I just can't get it to work.

    I don't know that your "hacking" is, but if you are trying to chenge the
    bootloader so that it can boot from zfs, you are only looking at half
    the solution. My guess is that you need some bits in the FreeBSD
    implementation of zfs too.

    > Torfinn, how do you boot / with ZFS?

    You can't. Use the hack in the link I posted for a workaround that will
    allow you to see (and use) the ufs partition that you boot from after
    the system has booted.

    HTH
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,