show block size - BSD

This is a discussion on show block size - BSD ; Hi, is there a command to show the current block size? Something like bsdlabel -A /dev/$device | grep bytes but easier, printing out only the block size? Thanks, Helmut -- No Swen today, my love has gone away My mailbox ...

  1. show block size

    --
    No Swen today, my love has gone away
    My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn

  2. Re: show block size

    Helmut Schneider wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > is there a command to show the current block size? Something like
    >
    > bsdlabel -A /dev/$device | grep bytes
    >
    > but easier, printing out only the block size?
    >
    > Thanks, Helmut

    Example:
    niobe% dumpfs -m /dev/ad0s1a
    # newfs command for /dev/ad0s1a (/dev/ad0s1a)
    newfs -O 2 -U -a 8 -b 16384 -d 16384 -e 2048 -f 2048 -g 16384 -h 64 -m 8
    -o time -s 131072 /dev/ad0s1a

    --> blocksize = 16384 bytes.

    --

    Michel TALON

  3. Newbie: Compiling Kernel

    Hi. Loaded/used BSD for my first time yesterday. This on an older box
    that I think could us the custom kernel.

    I guess I should have compiled my kernel before updating. Loaded from
    the 7.0 cds and did a freebsd-update and now have 7.0-RELEASE-p2, which
    won't work with the instructions on the handbook* and whats available
    via FTP. I think I should use sysinstall -> options to change the name
    of the kernel back to 7.0-RELEASE and then follow the handbook part on
    CD updating from there.

    1) Is that correct?
    2) Will freebsd-update work after that?
    3) After the kernel updates again, do I have to recompile it?

    I have many more questions and things to do, but lets keep it here for
    the weekend. Thanks.

    *sysinstall as root: Configure, Distributions, src, sys.

+ Reply to Thread