Bind 9 heads-up - BSD

This is a discussion on Bind 9 heads-up - BSD ; To those running ISC Bind: heads-up. You need to upgrade and restart _now_. The problem, once again, is cache poisoning by insufficient sequence number randomization. http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/927905 Either wait for the CVS tree to update or, my recommendation: cd /usr/ports/dns/bind94 vi ...

  1. Bind 9 heads-up

    To those running ISC Bind: heads-up. You need to upgrade and restart
    _now_. The problem, once again, is cache poisoning by insufficient
    sequence number randomization.

    http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/927905

    Either wait for the CVS tree to update or, my recommendation:

    cd /usr/ports/dns/bind94
    vi Makefile

    >ISCVERSION= 9.4.3b2
    make makesum && make install

    Then kill and restart the named daemon. (this assumes you are running
    bind version 9).

    Paco

  2. Re: Bind 9 heads-up

    In article <48741ddf$0$17161$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net>,
    Paco wrote:

    >To those running ISC Bind: heads-up. You need to upgrade and restart
    >_now_. The problem, once again, is cache poisoning by insufficient
    >sequence number randomization.
    >
    > http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/927905
    >
    >Either wait for the CVS tree to update or, my recommendation:
    >
    > cd /usr/ports/dns/bind94
    > vi Makefile
    >
    > >ISCVERSION= 9.4.3b2

    > make makesum && make install
    >
    >Then kill and restart the named daemon. (this assumes you are running
    >bind version 9).
    >
    >Paco

    ??

    The alert URL you reference specifically refers to Bind 8, not Bind 9.

    Ted
    --
    ------
    columbiaclosings.com

  3. Re: Bind 9 heads-up

    Paco wrote:
    : To those running ISC Bind: heads-up. You need to upgrade and restart
    : _now_. The problem, once again, is cache poisoning by insufficient
    : sequence number randomization.
    :
    : http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/927905

    That's the BIND 8 bug, the BIND 9 (and almost everything else)
    one is: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/800113

    also: http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA08-190B.html
    and: http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/bind-security.php

    Frank Durda IV - send mail to this address and remove the "LOSE":
    http://nemesis.lonestar.org
    "The guy that said that the only stupid question is the one that was
    never asked clearly has never worked a computer center help desk."
    Copyright 2008, ask before reprinting.

  4. Re: Bind 9 heads-up

    Ted Nolan wrote:
    > ??
    >
    > The alert URL you reference specifically refers to Bind 8, not Bind 9.

    I assume he's talking about this one:

    Martin

    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.

+ Reply to Thread