openssh without password authentication - BSD

This is a discussion on openssh without password authentication - BSD ; Hello I instaleld openssh from ports (instead standart sshd from freebsd). I used my old configuration file (which allowed for password authentication). But when i launched openssh with this old configuration file deamon started but i can not log in: ...

  1. openssh without password authentication

    Hello

    I instaleld openssh from ports (instead standart sshd from freebsd).
    I used my old configuration file (which allowed for password
    authentication).

    But when i launched openssh with this old configuration file deamon
    started but i can not log in:
    i receive "Permission denied (publickey)."

    pluton ~ # ssh -v server
    OpenSSH_4.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8d 28 Sep 2006
    debug1: Connecting to piaski.eu.org [83.19.139.179] port 443.
    debug1: Connection established.
    debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
    debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
    debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
    debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
    debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
    OpenSSH_5.0p1 FreeBSD-openssh-portable-5.0.p1,1
    debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.0p1 FreeBSD-openssh-portable-5.0.p1,1 pat OpenSSH*
    debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.5
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
    debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
    debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
    debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
    debug1: Host '[piaski.eu.org]:443' is known and matches the RSA host key.
    debug1: Found key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts:1
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
    debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
    debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey
    debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/identity
    debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_rsa
    debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_dsa
    debug1: No more authentication methods to try.
    Permission denied (publickey).

    Why ? What's wrong ?
    thanx

  2. Re: openssh without password authentication

    Begin
    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:10:13 +0200, vertigo wrote:
    > debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey

    [snip]
    > Why ? What's wrong ?

    At a guess: It might be that your old config allowed password auth by
    virtue of not disabling it, where the new default has changed. Or,
    perhaps, the ports opensshd uses a different set of config files from
    /usr/local/etc/sshd.

    Could you double-check which config it uses and post it? You could also
    look up the authentication directives in the manpage and see how they
    work.

    If you can't figure it out, might try another -v (ssh -vv), and of
    course see if the sshd logfile says anything interesting.

  3. Re: openssh without password authentication

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:24:50 +0200, jpd
    wrote:

    > Begin
    > On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:10:13 +0200, vertigo
    > wrote:
    >> debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey

    > [snip]
    >> Why ? What's wrong ?

    > At a guess: It might be that your old config allowed password auth by
    > virtue of not disabling it, where the new default has changed.

    Thanx, it was exactly as you said

+ Reply to Thread