How to see previos Page in Terminal - BSD

This is a discussion on How to see previos Page in Terminal - BSD ; I am sorry, for this nooby Question, but i cant find the Answer... Google not understand what i want^^ How can i see previos Page in FreeBsd terminal, something like Shift+PageUp? Thank you!...

  1. How to see previos Page in Terminal

    I am sorry, for this nooby Question, but i cant find the Answer... Google
    not understand what i want^^ How can i see previos Page in FreeBsd terminal,
    something like Shift+PageUp?

    Thank you!

  2. Re: How to see previos Page in Terminal

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 04:08:09 +0200, Sun wrote:

    > I am sorry, for this nooby Question, but i cant find the Answer...
    > Google not understand what i want^^ How can i see previos Page in
    > FreeBsd terminal, something like Shift+PageUp?

    If you're referring to the console terminals (and I'll assume for a
    moment that you are), then the answer is that you can't, because they're
    just a dumb glass-tty (emulation). The "Unix way" to read things in a
    terminal in such a way that you can scroll backwards through them is to
    open them (if a file) or pipe them into (if a dynamic process) the "less"
    program. Less is like more, but better, in that it can go backwards.

    Most people don't spend much time at the actual console, though: they
    either run X, and use terminal windows, or they access the FreeBSD
    machines via terminal sessions (ssh or telnet) from other machines that
    have terminal windows. Terminal windows can generally be configured to
    have "history buffers" that allow you to scroll back a certain amount,
    usually with the aid of a graphical scrollbar. Of course, you can also
    use "less" in this context, too.

    The other thing that is sometimes used is a program called "screen",
    which is not a standard part of the system, but can be built in the ports
    tree in the sysutils collection. I don't use it myself, but have read
    that it has a number of useful features.

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew

  3. Re: How to see previos Page in Terminal

    Begin
    On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 04:08:09 +0200, Sun wrote:
    > I am sorry, for this nooby Question, but i cant find the Answer... Google
    > not understand what i want^^ How can i see previos Page in FreeBsd terminal,
    > something like Shift+PageUp?

    If you're using a glass tty attached through a serial, then you most
    likely can't (see the documentation of said terminal device -- it is a
    function of that device, not of FreeBSD's serial driver).

    If you mean the virtual terminals, it depends on which one you're using.
    shift-pgup/pgdn for pcvt (see pcvt(4)), and scroll-lock plus pgup/pgdn
    for syscons (see sc(4)).

    For terminal emulators under X (xterm, rxvt, etc.) or other software
    terminal emulators (eg. gnu screen) see their respective documentation.

    In case you're not aware what the name(number) notation means, it means
    you should look up that name in the numbered section of the manpages.
    See man(1); to do so type `man 1 man' on a FreeBSD terminal near you.

  4. Re: How to see previos Page in Terminal

    Andrew Reilly wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 04:08:09 +0200, Sun wrote:
    >
    >> I am sorry, for this nooby Question, but i cant find the Answer...
    >> Google not understand what i want^^ How can i see previos Page in
    >> FreeBsd terminal, something like Shift+PageUp?

    > If you're referring to the console terminals (and I'll assume for a
    > moment that you are), then the answer is that you can't, because they're
    > just a dumb glass-tty (emulation).

    Hold on a second there. Scroll Lock and the cursor keys or Page Up/Down
    work great on the FreeBSD console. The history is a little small by
    default but can be adjusted with "options SC_HISTORY_SIZE=" in the
    kernel config file.

  5. Re: How to see previos Page in Terminal

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 18:03:06 +0000, Warren Block wrote:

    > Hold on a second there. Scroll Lock and the cursor keys or Page Up/Down
    > work great on the FreeBSD console. The history is a little small by
    > default but can be adjusted with "options SC_HISTORY_SIZE=" in the
    > kernel config file.

    This is why I love usenet: you can learn the error of your ways so
    quickly. Thanks for that! I never knew that capability was in there.
    Works surprisingly well, too.

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew

  6. Re: How to see previos Page in Terminal

    Thank you a lot for your fast Help. I will be testing this at Monday.

    "Andrew Reilly" сообщил/сообщила в
    новостях следующее: news:6d2ddmFgp5dU1@mid.individual.net...
    > On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 18:03:06 +0000, Warren Block wrote:
    >
    >> Hold on a second there. Scroll Lock and the cursor keys or Page Up/Down
    >> work great on the FreeBSD console. The history is a little small by
    >> default but can be adjusted with "options SC_HISTORY_SIZE=" in the
    >> kernel config file.

    > This is why I love usenet: you can learn the error of your ways so
    > quickly. Thanks for that! I never knew that capability was in there.
    > Works surprisingly well, too.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > --
    > Andrew

  7. Re: How to see previos Page in Terminal

    Thank a lot. i will be testing this.

    "Sun" сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
    >I am sorry, for this nooby Question, but i cant find the Answer... Google
    >not understand what i want^^ How can i see previos Page in FreeBsd
    >terminal, something like Shift+PageUp?
    >
    > Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread