FreeBSD 7 lpr won't print - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD 7 lpr won't print - BSD ; Understudy wrote: > Hi, > > I have FreeBSD 7 on a T43. > FreeBSD Gargoyle.brendhanhorne.com 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #2: Mon > Jun 30 23:44:55 EDT 2008 > root@Gargoyle.brendhanhorne.com :/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/STONE > > I can print from cups related programs such ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: FreeBSD 7 lpr won't print

    Understudy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have FreeBSD 7 on a T43.
    > FreeBSD Gargoyle.brendhanhorne.com 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #2: Mon
    > Jun 30 23:44:55 EDT 2008
    > root@Gargoyle.brendhanhorne.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/STONE
    >
    > I can print from cups related programs such as firefox, openoffice,
    > thunderbird.However I cannot print from programs that use the lpr
    > settings such as nedit, acroread, and xpdf.
    >
    > When I try to print from nedit I get this error:
    > Unable to print
    > lpr:EWrror - no default destination available.
    >
    > The destination for lpr appears correct:
    > [bhorne@Gargoyle:bhorne, 06:55 PM, Tue Jul 01]>which lpr
    > /usr/local/bin/lpr
    >
    > The /etc/make.conf contains
    > WITH_CUPS=YES
    > CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=YES
    > WITHOUT_LPR=YES
    >
    > I have the following cups related ports installed.
    > cups-base-1.3.7_3 Common UNIX Printing System
    > cups-pdf-2.4.7_1 A virtual printer for CUPS to produce PDF files
    > cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_2 Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to
    > non-PS printers
    > lpr-wrapper-0.6_3 A user level printer frontend
    >

    > However still no ability to print. So what can I do to gain the ablity
    > to print from lpr?
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Brendhan

    Something I have noticed on this that might be noteworthy. I should be
    able to print from a command line lpr if I use the full cups lpr part.

    [bhorne@Gargoyle:bhorne, 11:24 AM, Thu Jul 03]>/usr/local/bin/lpr -J
    "test" test.txt
    /usr/local/bin/lpr: Error - no default destination available.

    However I get the same error message. So somehow I need to get cups
    version of lpr to talk with cups. This is weird and I have not had this
    problem before when doing cups installs on freebsd.

    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

  2. Re: FreeBSD 7 lpr won't print

    Understudy writes:

    > Understudy wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have FreeBSD 7 on a T43.
    >> FreeBSD Gargoyle.brendhanhorne.com 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #2:
    >> Mon Jun 30 23:44:55 EDT 2008
    >> root@Gargoyle.brendhanhorne.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/STONE
    >>
    >> I can print from cups related programs such as firefox, openoffice,
    >> thunderbird.However I cannot print from programs that use the lpr
    >> settings such as nedit, acroread, and xpdf.
    >>
    >> When I try to print from nedit I get this error:
    >> Unable to print
    >> lpr:EWrror - no default destination available.
    >>
    >> The destination for lpr appears correct:
    >> [bhorne@Gargoyle:bhorne, 06:55 PM, Tue Jul 01]>which lpr
    >> /usr/local/bin/lpr
    >>
    >> The /etc/make.conf contains
    >> WITH_CUPS=YES
    >> CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=YES
    >> WITHOUT_LPR=YES
    >>
    >> I have the following cups related ports installed.
    >> cups-base-1.3.7_3 Common UNIX Printing System
    >> cups-pdf-2.4.7_1 A virtual printer for CUPS to produce PDF files
    >> cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_2 Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to
    >> non-PS printers
    >> lpr-wrapper-0.6_3 A user level printer frontend
    >>

    >> However still no ability to print. So what can I do to gain the
    >> ablity to print from lpr?
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >> Brendhan

    > Something I have noticed on this that might be noteworthy. I should be
    > able to print from a command line lpr if I use the full cups lpr part.
    >
    > [bhorne@Gargoyle:bhorne, 11:24 AM, Thu Jul 03]>/usr/local/bin/lpr -J
    > "test" test.txt
    > /usr/local/bin/lpr: Error - no default destination available.

    You need the -P option.

    > However I get the same error message. So somehow I need to get cups
    > version of lpr to talk with cups. This is weird and I have not had
    > this problem before when doing cups installs on freebsd.

    I think there's a way to set a default printer, but I can't remember
    it offhand.

    --
    Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
    http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/

  3. Re: FreeBSD 7 lpr won't print

    Understudy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have FreeBSD 7 on a T43.
    > FreeBSD Gargoyle.brendhanhorne.com 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #2: Mon
    > Jun 30 23:44:55 EDT 2008
    > root@Gargoyle.brendhanhorne.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/STONE
    >
    > I can print from cups related programs such as firefox, openoffice,
    > thunderbird.However I cannot print from programs that use the lpr
    > settings such as nedit, acroread, and xpdf.
    >
    > When I try to print from nedit I get this error:
    > Unable to print
    > lpr:EWrror - no default destination available.
    >
    > The destination for lpr appears correct:
    > [bhorne@Gargoyle:bhorne, 06:55 PM, Tue Jul 01]>which lpr
    > /usr/local/bin/lpr
    >
    > The /etc/make.conf contains
    > WITH_CUPS=YES
    > CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=YES
    > WITHOUT_LPR=YES
    >
    > I have the following cups related ports installed.
    > cups-base-1.3.7_3 Common UNIX Printing System
    > cups-pdf-2.4.7_1 A virtual printer for CUPS to produce PDF files
    > cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_2 Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to
    > non-PS printers
    > lpr-wrapper-0.6_3 A user level printer frontend
    >

    > However still no ability to print. So what can I do to gain the ablity
    > to print from lpr?
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Brendhan

    Okay,

    I have come up with a solution but it seems to me to be more of a band
    aid than the cure.

    I found it here

    I did this
    lpadmin -d HP_Laser
    restarted cups and got it to go. It now prints from nedit, xpdf and
    acroread.

    So from a command line

    [11:37am] Gargoyle[root@/root] >lpr test.txt
    [11:37am] Gargoyle[root@/root] >lpq
    HP_Laser is ready
    no entries

    I expect to see the job being processed but it went so fast that it
    didn't show up in lpq.

    Why is this a bandaid?
    Because if I change my printer in cups, lpadmin won't recognize it.

    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

  4. Re: FreeBSD 7 lpr won't print

    Lowell Gilbert schrieb:

    > I think there's a way to set a default printer, but I can't remember
    > it offhand.

    Setting PRINTER in the environment to the printer name as cups sees it
    did it for me, IIRC.

    Michael

  5. Re: FreeBSD 7 lpr won't print

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:27:52 -0400, Understudy wrote:

    > /usr/local/bin/lpr: Error - no default destination available.

    Does your CUPS configuration have your printer marked as the default?

    --
    Andrew

  6. Re: FreeBSD 7 lpr won't print

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:52:16 -0400, Understudy wrote:

    > Why is this a bandaid?
    > Because if I change my printer in cups, lpadmin won't recognize it.

    Why wouldn't lpadmin recognize it? lpadmin is part of cups. I'm pretty
    sure that lpadmin -d does exactly the same thing as frobbing the "default
    printer" knob in the CUPS web configuration.

    --
    Andrew

  7. Re: FreeBSD 7 lpr won't print

    Andrew Reilly wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:52:16 -0400, Understudy wrote:
    >
    >> Why is this a bandaid?
    >> Because if I change my printer in cups, lpadmin won't recognize it.

    > Why wouldn't lpadmin recognize it? lpadmin is part of cups. I'm pretty
    > sure that lpadmin -d does exactly the same thing as frobbing the "default
    > printer" knob in the CUPS web configuration.

    It is the default printer. Right now it is the only printer I have on
    the setup. It says default printer next to the name when you do
    localhost:631.

    As to why lpadmin would not recognize it. I don't know.

    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2