Recomendation for 802.11N NIC card - BSD

This is a discussion on Recomendation for 802.11N NIC card - BSD ; Hi all, I am planning to add wireless capabilities to my OpenBSD router. I am thinking about getting an 802.11N card however I have not been able to find any card that is standard PCI and that I can see ...

  1. Recomendation for 802.11N NIC card

    Hi all,

    I am planning to add wireless capabilities to my OpenBSD router.
    I am thinking about getting an 802.11N card however I have not been
    able to find any card that is standard PCI and that I can see
    verification on that it works on OpenBSD.
    If somebody know of any 802.11N PCI card that works with OpenBSD I
    would be very happy if you would share the card brand and model with
    me

    I am also considering getting a number of PCI NICs for RJ45. 100Mbps
    or 1000Mbps. I would be happy for suggestions of these cards as well.

    Thanks in advance
    BR/
    Jens

  2. Re: Recomendation for 802.11N NIC card

    On 01 Jun, jens@zekra.se wrote:

    > I am planning to add wireless capabilities to my OpenBSD router.
    > I am thinking about getting an 802.11N card however I have not been
    > able to find any card that is standard PCI and that I can see
    > verification on that it works on OpenBSD.
    > If somebody know of any 802.11N PCI card that works with OpenBSD I
    > would be very happy if you would share the card brand and model with
    > me

    ral (4) - Ralink Technology IEEE 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N wireless network devices.
    See http://ralink.rapla.net/

    ral0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0 vendor 0x1814 product 0x0601 rev 0x00: irq 10, address 00:08:54:af:1a:07
    ral0: MAC/BBP RT2860 (rev 0x0101), RF RT2820 (2T3R)

    ; the best ones.

    > I am also considering getting a number of PCI NICs for RJ45. 100Mbps
    > or 1000Mbps. I would be happy for suggestions of these cards as well.

    fxp (4) and em (4).

    --
    Sergey Prysiazhnyi

  3. Re: Recomendation for 802.11N NIC card

    On Jun 4, 6:31*am, Sergey Prysiazhnyi wrote:
    > On 01 Jun, j...@zekra.se wrote:
    >
    > > I am planning to add wireless capabilities to my OpenBSD router.
    > > I am thinking about getting an 802.11N card however I have not been
    > > able to find any card that is standard PCI and that I can see
    > > verification on that it works on OpenBSD.
    > > If somebody know of any 802.11N PCI card that works with OpenBSD I
    > > would be very happy if you would share the card brand and model with
    > > me

    > ral (4) - Ralink Technology IEEE 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N wireless network devices.
    > Seehttp://ralink.rapla.net/
    >
    > ral0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0 vendor 0x1814 product 0x0601 rev 0x00: irq 10, address 00:08:54:af:1a:07
    > ral0: MAC/BBP RT2860 (rev 0x0101), RF RT2820 (2T3R)
    >
    > ; the best ones.
    >
    > > I am also considering getting a number of PCI NICs for RJ45. 100Mbps
    > > or 1000Mbps. I would be happy for suggestions of these cards as well.

    > fxp (4) and em (4).
    >
    > --
    > Sergey Prysiazhnyi

    Thanks for the reply

    I have heard about ralink and I checked the site you suggested however
    i did not find any cards capable of WirelessN.
    Is anyone able to suggest a specific brand and model for me?

    Thanks

  4. Re: Recomendation for 802.11N NIC card

    On Jun 6, 1:24*am, j...@zekra.se wrote:
    > On Jun 4, 6:31*am, Sergey Prysiazhnyi wrote:
    >

    > > On 01 Jun, j...@zekra.se wrote:

    > > > I am planning to add wireless capabilities to my OpenBSD router.
    > > > I am thinking about getting an 802.11N card however I have not been
    > > > able to find any card that is standard PCI and that I can see
    > > > verification on that it works on OpenBSD.
    > > > If somebody know of any 802.11N PCI card that works with OpenBSD I
    > > > would be very happy if you would share the card brand and model with
    > > > me

    > > ral (4) - Ralink Technology IEEE 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N wireless network devices.
    > > Seehttp://ralink.rapla.net/

    > > ral0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0 vendor 0x1814 product 0x0601 rev 0x00: irq 10, address 00:08:54:af:1a:07
    > > ral0: MAC/BBP RT2860 (rev 0x0101), RF RT2820 (2T3R)

    > > ; the best ones.

    > > > I am also considering getting a number of PCI NICs for RJ45. 100Mbps
    > > > or 1000Mbps. I would be happy for suggestions of these cards as well.

    > > fxp (4) and em (4).

    > > --
    > > Sergey Prysiazhnyi

    > Thanks for the reply
    >
    > I have heard about ralink and I checked the site you suggested however
    > i did not find any cards capable of WirelessN.
    > Is anyone able to suggest a specific brand and model for me?
    >
    > Thanks

    Would this one work?:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...gy/MXP802NPCI/

    BR/
    Jens

  5. Re: Recomendation for 802.11N NIC card

    On Jun 6, 1:30*am, j...@zekra.se wrote:
    > On Jun 6, 1:24*am, j...@zekra.se wrote:

    > > > ral (4) - Ralink Technology IEEE 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N wireless network devices.
    > > > Seehttp://ralink.rapla.net/

    > > > ral0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0 vendor 0x1814 product 0x0601 rev 0x00: irq 10, address 00:08:54:af:1a:07
    > > > ral0: MAC/BBP RT2860 (rev 0x0101), RF RT2820 (2T3R)

    > > > ; the best ones.

    > > > fxp (4) and em (4).

    > > > --
    > > > Sergey Prysiazhnyi

    > > Thanks for the reply

    > > I have heard about ralink and I checked the site you suggested however
    > > i did not find any cards capable of WirelessN.
    > > Is anyone able to suggest a specific brand and model for me?

    > > Thanks

    > Would this one work?:http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...gy/MXP802NPCI/
    >
    > BR/
    > Jens

    I have now read the man page for the RAL driver.

    I can see a list of media options like the following:
    autoselect Enable autoselection of the media type and
    options.
    DS1 Set 802.11b DS 1Mbps operation.
    DS2 Set 802.11b DS 2Mbps operation.
    DS5 Set 802.11b DS 5.5Mbps operation.
    DS11 Set 802.11b DS 11Mbps operation.
    OFDM6 Set 802.11a/g OFDM 6Mbps operation.
    OFDM9 Set 802.11a/g OFDM 9Mbps operation.
    OFDM12 Set 802.11a/g OFDM 12Mbps operation.
    OFDM18 Set 802.11a/g OFDM 18Mbps operation.
    OFDM24 Set 802.11a/g OFDM 24Mbps operation.
    OFDM36 Set 802.11a/g OFDM 36Mbps operation.
    OFDM48 Set 802.11a/g OFDM 48Mbps operation.
    OFDM54 Set 802.11a/g OFDM 54Mbps operation.

    There is no 802.11N alternative which makes me think that is is not
    supported at all.

    But it also states that the following PCI adapter among others should
    work:
    ASUS WL-130N

    I know that tha Asus WL-130N is an 802.11N device.

    Even later in the man page I read that:
    The ral driver does not support any of the 802.11n-Draft 2.0
    capabilities
    offered by the RT2800 chipset. Additional work is required in
    ieee80211(9) before those features can be supported.

    Does this apply to 2.0 only and not 1.0? I am comfused.

    So the million dollar question is: would the Asus WL-130N work and if
    so would it work with 802.11N speeds?

    Thankfull for any hints
    BR/
    Jens