Dual Core Kernel compilation - BSD

This is a discussion on Dual Core Kernel compilation - BSD ; My BSD 7.0 system is oke and running, but I want to compile the Kernel in order to use dual core. Is it oke if I discuss the config file of my Kernel regarding dual core installation? -- Floor...

  1. Dual Core Kernel compilation

    My BSD 7.0 system is oke and running, but I want to compile the Kernel in
    order to use dual core.
    Is it oke if I discuss the config file of my Kernel regarding dual core
    installation?

    -- Floor

  2. Re: Dual Core Kernel compilation

    Floor kirjoitti:
    > My BSD 7.0 system is oke and running, but I want to compile the Kernel in
    > order to use dual core.

    SMP is enabled in default kernel.

  3. Re: Dual Core Kernel compilation

    Pertti Kosunen:

    > SMP is enabled in default kernel.

    Yes I saw that; does that say that I only have to re-compile GENERIC?

    -- floor

  4. Re: Dual Core Kernel compilation

    Pertti Kosunen:

    > SMP is enabled in default kernel.

    I have altered some from GENERIC and came to this:

    #
    # MYNEWKERNEL

    cpu I686_CPU
    ident MYNEWKERNEL

    options SCHED_4BSD
    options PREEMPTION
    options INET
    #options INET6
    #options SCTP
    options FFS
    options SOFTUPDATES
    options UFS_ACL
    options UFS_DIRHASH
    #options UFS_GJOURNAL
    options MD_ROOT
    options NFSCLIENT
    options NFSSERVER
    #options NFSLOCKD
    options NFS_ROOT
    options MSDOSFS
    options CD9660
    options PROCFS
    options PSEUDOFS
    options GEOM_PART_GPT
    #options GEOM_LABEL
    options COMPAT_43TTY
    options COMPAT_FREEBSD4
    options COMPAT_FREEBSD5
    options COMPAT_FREEBSD6
    options SCSI_DELAY=5000
    options KTRACE
    options STACK
    options SYSVSHM
    options SYSVMSG
    options SYSVSEM
    options _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
    options KBD_INSTALL_CDEV
    options ADAPTIVE_GIANT
    options STOP_NMI
    options AUDIT

    # SMP kernel
    options SMP
    device apic

    # CPU frequency control
    device cpufreq

    # Bus support.
    device eisa
    device pci

    # Floppy drives
    #device fdc

    # ATA and ATAPI devices
    device ata
    device atadisk
    device ataraid
    device atapicd
    device atapifd
    device atapist
    options ATA_STATIC_ID

    # SCSI Controllers
    device ahb
    device ahc
    options AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT

    device ahd
    options AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT
    device amd
    device hptiop
    device isp
    #device ispfw
    device mpt
    #device ncr
    device sym
    device trm

    device adv
    device adw
    device aha
    device aic
    device bt

    device ncv
    device nsp
    device stg

    # SCSI peripherals
    device scbus
    device ch
    device da
    device sa
    device cd
    device pass
    device ses

    # RAID controllers SCSI subsystem
    device amr
    device arcmsr
    device asr
    device ciss
    device dpt
    device hptmv
    device hptrr
    device iir
    device ips
    device mly
    device twa

    # RAID controllers
    device aac
    device aacp
    device ida
    device mfi
    device mlx
    device pst
    device twe

    # atkbdc0 controls keyboard PS/2 mouse
    device atkbdc
    device atkbd
    device psm

    device kbdmux

    device vga

    device splash

    # syscons is the default console driver
    device sc

    device agp

    # Power management support
    #device apm
    # Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
    device pmtimer

    # PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
    # PCMCIA and cardbus bridge support
    device cbb
    device pccard
    device cardbus

    # Serial (COM) ports
    device sio
    device uart

    # Parallel port
    device ppc
    device ppbus
    device lpt
    device plip
    device ppi
    #device vpo

    #device puc

    # PCI Ethernet NICs.
    device de
    device em
    device ixgb
    device le
    device txp
    device vx

    # PCI Ethernet NICs - common MII bus controller code.
    device miibus
    device bce
    device bfe
    device bge
    device dc
    device fxp
    device lge
    device msk
    device nfe
    device nge
    #device nve
    device pcn
    device re
    device rl
    device sf
    device sis
    device sk
    device ste
    device stge
    device ti
    device tl
    device tx
    device vge
    device vr
    device wb
    device xl

    # ISA Ethernet NICs. pccard NICs included.
    device cs
    device ed
    device ex
    device ep
    device fe
    device ie
    device sn
    device xe

    # Wireless NIC cards
    device wlan
    device wlan_wep
    device wlan_ccmp
    device wlan_tkip
    device wlan_amrr
    device wlan_scan_ap
    device wlan_scan_sta
    device an
    device ath
    device ath_hal
    device ath_rate_sample
    device awi
    device ral
    device wi
    #device wl

    # Pseudo devices.
    device loop
    device random
    device ether
    device sl
    device ppp
    device tun
    device pty
    device md
    device gif
    device faith
    device firmware

    device bpf

    # USB support
    device uhci
    device ohci
    device ehci
    device usb
    #device udbp
    device ugen
    device uhid
    device ukbd
    device ulpt
    device umass
    device ums
    device ural
    device rum
    device urio
    device uscanner
    # USB Serial devices
    device ucom
    device uark
    device ubsa
    device ubser
    device uftdi
    device uipaq
    device uplcom
    device uslcom
    device uvisor
    device uvscom
    # USB Ethernet, requires miibus
    device aue
    device axe
    device cdce
    device cue
    device kue
    device rue

    # FireWire support
    device firewire
    device sbp
    device fwe
    device fwip
    device dcons
    device dcons_crom

    -- floor

  5. Re: Dual Core Kernel compilation

    In article <483ac7e8$0$14354$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    "Floor" writes:
    > Pertti Kosunen:
    >
    >> SMP is enabled in default kernel.

    > Yes I saw that; does that say that I only have to re-compile GENERIC?

    It means you need to do nothing. You are already using the 2nd core.
    Try 'sysctl -a | grep cpu | more'

    --
    Steve
    http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

  6. Re: Dual Core Kernel compilation

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 16:25:36 +0200, Floor wrote:

    > I have altered some from GENERIC and came to this:
    >
    > # SMP kernel
    > options SMP

    I'm working from memory here, but IIRC once you have this you have put
    into your idiographic kernel the SMP you seek. Of course, this assumes
    a "make update, world, etcetera" followup.

    Whether you need everything below it, which I snipped, I do not know
    because I do not know what hardware you have.

    I will say that I doubt you need all of the things you listed. I
    suggest looking at the kernel compile chapters in the handbook, if you
    have not already looked at them. There is a chapter there which
    answers the question: "Why should I compile my own kernel?"

    HTH.

  7. Re: Dual Core Kernel compilation

    J. Altman wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 16:25:36 +0200, Floor wrote:
    >>
    >> I have altered some from GENERIC and came to this:
    >>
    >> # SMP kernel
    >> options SMP

    > I'm working from memory here, but IIRC once you have this you have put
    > into your idiographic kernel the SMP you seek. Of course, this assumes
    > a "make update, world, etcetera" followup.

    Why on earth should someone have to do an make world if he
    just wants to add SMP to his kernel?

    BTW: As others have already pointed out: SMP is enabled by default for
    recent versions of FreeBSD. You can check the number of [physical/logical]
    CPUs with "sysctl hw.ncpu"

    Martin
    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.

  8. Re: Dual Core Kernel compilation

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 13:02:36 UTC, Martin Etteldorf
    wrote:

    > J. Altman wrote:
    > > On Mon, 26 May 2008 16:25:36 +0200, Floor wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I have altered some from GENERIC and came to this:
    > >>
    > >> # SMP kernel
    > >> options SMP

    > > I'm working from memory here, but IIRC once you have this you have put
    > > into your idiographic kernel the SMP you seek. Of course, this assumes
    > > a "make update, world, etcetera" followup.

    > Why on earth should someone have to do an make world if he
    > just wants to add SMP to his kernel?
    >
    > BTW: As others have already pointed out: SMP is enabled by default for
    > recent versions of FreeBSD. You can check the number of [physical/logical]
    > CPUs with "sysctl hw.ncpu"

    Or just watch the messages at boot...!

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  9. Re: Dual Core Kernel compilation

    On 2008-05-26, Floor wrote:
    > My BSD 7.0 system is oke and running, but I want to compile the Kernel in
    > order to use dual core.
    > Is it oke if I discuss the config file of my Kernel regarding dual core
    > installation?
    >
    > -- Floor

    The default kernel already has smp enabled, you don't need
    to rebuild kernel or anything else. If you run 'top' you will
    see a column near the right hand side headed 'C'; this is 'cpu'
    - you will notice that some processes have a value of 0 under
    this column and some have a value of 1. That corresponds to
    running on core 0 or core 1. Also if you grep dmesg output
    for 'cpu' you should get two lines starting with 'cpu0' and
    'cpu1', ie one line for each core.

    -- Tony

  10. Re: Dual Core Kernel compilation

    Thanks you all for your information; it is all running smoothly thanks to
    your kind replies!

    -- Floor

+ Reply to Thread