Installing PHP5-CGI & PHP4-CGI Together - BSD

This is a discussion on Installing PHP5-CGI & PHP4-CGI Together - BSD ; Hi all I'm completely new to freebsd and I've just installed it on a server. Now I want to install php4 and php5 together on it so apache can use both. But when I install php4 it gives and error ...

  1. Installing PHP5-CGI & PHP4-CGI Together

    Hi all
    I'm completely new to freebsd and I've just installed it on a server.
    Now I want to install php4 and php5 together on it so apache can use
    both.
    But when I install php4 it gives and error that php5 is installed in
    the same location and won't continue.

    I've searched all the web but there is nothing describing how to do
    it.

    Does anyone have any idea how to do it?

    Thanks
    Hamid

  2. Re: Installing PHP5-CGI & PHP4-CGI Together

    hamidproxy@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi all
    > I'm completely new to freebsd and I've just installed it on a server.
    > Now I want to install php4 and php5 together on it so apache can use
    > both.
    > But when I install php4 it gives and error that php5 is installed in
    > the same location and won't continue.
    >
    > I've searched all the web but there is nothing describing how to do
    > it.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea how to do it?
    >

    > Thanks
    > Hamid

    Not a good idea. PHP4 is approaching EOL very soon now and will no longer be
    supported. While there are some settings in php.ini that can used to
    provide some backwards compatibility with older scripts, most of this is
    actually carry over from php3 days.

    IMHO the best thing to do is either use code that is already designed for
    PHP5 or port your code up. Trying to run them both is, in the long run,
    going to be a waste of time. Better to spend the time on something useful
    now, rather than spending a whole lot of wasted effort and having to redo
    it all again later. Just my $.02.

    -Jason

  3. Re: Installing PHP5-CGI & PHP4-CGI Together

    On May 25, 9:23*pm, Jason Bourne
    wrote:
    > hamidpr...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi all
    > > I'm completely new to freebsd and I've just installed it on a server.
    > > Now I want to install php4 and php5 together on it so apache can use
    > > both.
    > > But when I install php4 it gives and error that php5 is installed in
    > > the same location and won't continue.

    > > I've searched all the web but there is nothing describing how to do
    > > it.

    > > Does anyone have any idea how to do it?

    > > Thanks
    > > Hamid

    > Not a good idea. PHP4 is approaching EOL very soon now and will no longer be
    > supported. While there are some settings in php.ini that can used to
    > provide some backwards compatibility with older scripts, most of this is
    > actually carry over from php3 days.
    >
    > IMHO the best thing to do is either use code that is already designed for
    > PHP5 or port your code up. Trying to run them both is, in the long run,
    > going to be a waste of time. Better to spend the time on something useful
    > now, rather than spending a whole lot of wasted effort and having to redo
    > it all again later. Just my $.02.
    >
    > -Jason

    Hi Jason
    Actually I don't want to do this too but unfortunately the code is
    rather old and I'm not the coder so I can't upgrade the code. I have
    to install it with php4.
    I don't feel good doing this because php4 is dead but I don't have any
    chance.
    Now is there any tutorial which lets me install php4 and 5 together?

    -Hamid

+ Reply to Thread