Hanging on the install - BSD

This is a discussion on Hanging on the install - BSD ; So I got it in my head to give FreeBSD a try and decided to start with PC-BSD, 'cause that was supposed to be the easy version, but when I try to install it it hangs on the line: acd0: ...

  1. Hanging on the install

    So I got it in my head to give FreeBSD a try and decided to start with
    PC-BSD, 'cause that was supposed to be the easy version, but when I
    try to install it it hangs on the line:

    acd0: CDRW at ata1-master UDMA33

    and it does this regardless of which boot option (safe mode, etc.)
    that I pick. So then I think to myself, "Alright, let's try FreeBSD
    proper." And I do. And it hangs one line later:

    acd0: CDRW at ata1-master UDMA33
    GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider acd0 is 9660/FreeBSD_Install.

    I look through the documentation and I find the suggestion to disable
    ACPI using the line:

    unset acpi_load

    and I give that a try. No change for either FreeBSD or PC-BSD. (same
    with disabling ACPI via the selectable boot option)

    I also ask for advice in the PC-BSD forum and some nice person offers
    the suggestion of unplugging all of my USB devices. So I give that a
    try. No change.

    That's where I'm at so far. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I'd
    really like to get somewhere with this - I've heard a lot about
    FreeBSD and I'd like to give it a shot.

  2. Re: Hanging on the install

    guises@gmail.com wrote:
    > and it does this regardless of which boot option (safe mode, etc.)
    > that I pick. So then I think to myself, "Alright, let's try FreeBSD
    > proper." And I do. And it hangs one line later:

    Which version of FreeBSD did you try? (Was it 7.0-release, 6.3-release
    or what?)
    Did you use the i386 or amd64 version?00
    Also, what hardware did you try this on? Details please.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  3. Re: Hanging on the install

    I'd try again using the 6.3 iso from freebsd :
    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.3R/announce.html

    Use md5 to check the hash of the iso so you know it's not damaged.

  4. Re: Hanging on the install

    > I'd try again using the 6.3 iso from freebsd :
    > http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.3R/announce.html
    >
    > Use md5 to check the hash of the iso so you know it's not damaged.

    All right. Checked both my 7.0 and 6.3 images and tried the 6.3 image.
    Result was almost the same - 6.3 stopped on the same line that PC-BSD
    did (PC-BSD ver. 1.5.1), in other words it stopped one line before 7.0
    did.

  5. Re: Hanging on the install

    In ,
    on Sat, 24 May 2008 23:52:41 -0700 (PDT), guises@gmail.com,
    guises@gmail.com wrote:

    > acd0: CDRW at ata1-master UDMA33
    > GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider acd0 is 9660/FreeBSD_Install.

    This seems to be a not uncommon error since 6.x. If
    you google this group, you'll see it mentioned a few
    times (one of which will be me).
    I have an older VIA motherboard and CPU. It booted
    the 5.x CDs fine. It refuses to boot 6.x or 7.x CDs no
    matter what I've tried, even though it reads them just
    fine.

    Eventually, I ended up moving the hard drive to another
    computer (SiS MB and AMD CPU) and did the base install
    there, then moved the drive back to the VIA machine to
    finish installing packages, finish setup, etc.

    > That's where I'm at so far. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I'd
    > really like to get somewhere with this - I've heard a lot about
    > FreeBSD and I'd like to give it a shot.

    I've not seen this problem addressed successfully
    here other than my own solution... which is really
    more of a work-around than a solution.

  6. Re: Hanging on the install

    > Which version of FreeBSD did you try? (Was it 7.0-release, 6.3-release
    > or what?)
    > Did you use the i386 or amd64 version?00
    > Also, what hardware did you try this on? Details please.

    Using i386, started with PC-BSD version 1.5.1 and FreeBSD version 7.0,
    have since tried FreeBSD version 6.3 with the same result as PC-BSD
    1.5.1 (i.e.: it stops one line before FreeBSD 7.0 does).

    As far as hardware, I'm using an Athlon XP with an Asus A7N8X-DLX
    motherboard (nForce 2). I don't know what else would be relevant
    hardware-wise. My Radeon x850 has caused me plenty of trouble in the
    past but it runs fine on generic drivers, Audigy 2, erm, etc. Let me
    know if you need info on anything specific.

  7. Re: Hanging on the install

    guises@gmail.com wrote:
    > As far as hardware, I'm using an Athlon XP with an Asus A7N8X-DLX
    > motherboard (nForce 2). I don't know what else would be relevant
    > hardware-wise. My Radeon x850 has caused me plenty of trouble in the
    > past but it runs fine on generic drivers, Audigy 2, erm, etc. Let me
    > know if you need info on anything specific.

    - Try a verbose boot and see if anything more shows on screen before it
    hangs
    - Google your motherboard + FreeBSD and see if anything interesting
    shows up in the results
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  8. Re: Hanging on the install

    > Eventually, I ended up moving the hard drive to another
    > computer (SiS MB and AMD CPU) and did the base install
    > there, then moved the drive back to the VIA machine to
    > finish installing packages, finish setup, etc.

    Well FreeBSD seems to be installing fine on my router, so I suppose I
    could do that at some point. Maybe next weekend - that's a bit more
    work than I had had in mind for this and I'm a little leery about
    configuration after swapping the drive back. Bear in mind that I
    haven't used FreeBSD before.

  9. Re: Hanging on the install

    "Steve Ackman" wrote in message
    news:slrng3jhr3.309.steve@sorceror.wizard.dyndns.o rg...
    > In ,
    > on Sat, 24 May 2008 23:52:41 -0700 (PDT), guises@gmail.com,
    > guises@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > acd0: CDRW at ata1-master UDMA33
    > > GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider acd0 is 9660/FreeBSD_Install.

    > This seems to be a not uncommon error since 6.x. If
    > you google this group, you'll see it mentioned a few
    > times (one of which will be me).
    > I have an older VIA motherboard and CPU. It booted
    > the 5.x CDs fine. It refuses to boot 6.x or 7.x CDs no
    > matter what I've tried, even though it reads them just
    > fine.
    >
    > Eventually, I ended up moving the hard drive to another
    > computer (SiS MB and AMD CPU) and did the base install
    > there, then moved the drive back to the VIA machine to
    > finish installing packages, finish setup, etc.
    >
    > > That's where I'm at so far. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I'd
    > > really like to get somewhere with this - I've heard a lot about
    > > FreeBSD and I'd like to give it a shot.

    > I've not seen this problem addressed successfully
    > here other than my own solution... which is really
    > more of a work-around than a solution.

    You also can do a floppy install if the thing has a floppy...

    I've had these kinds of problems over the years. Often are
    solved by replacing the CD with a different make and model.

    Ted

  10. Re: Hanging on the install

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:38:22 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

    >> > That's where I'm at so far. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I'd
    >> > really like to get somewhere with this - I've heard a lot about
    >> > FreeBSD and I'd like to give it a shot.

    >> I've not seen this problem addressed successfully
    >> here other than my own solution... which is really more of a
    >> work-around than a solution.

    > You also can do a floppy install if the thing has a floppy...
    >
    > I've had these kinds of problems over the years. Often are solved by
    > replacing the CD with a different make and model.

    I've never had an install problem with FreeBSD, so I've never had to try
    this, but is there a way to boot the install kernel with DMA turned off
    on the CD drive? These symptoms certainly sound like a possible DMA
    problem and these can occur with a lot of CD drives. (I have had to do
    this with various Linux CD in the past.)

  11. Re: Hanging on the install

    "Mark Madsen" wrote in message

    > >> I've not seen this problem addressed successfully
    > >> here other than my own solution... which is really more of a
    > >> work-around than a solution.

    > > You also can do a floppy install if the thing has a floppy...
    > >
    > > I've had these kinds of problems over the years. Often are solved by
    > > replacing the CD with a different make and model.

    > I've never had an install problem with FreeBSD, so I've never had to try
    > this, but is there a way to boot the install kernel with DMA turned off
    > on the CD drive? These symptoms certainly sound like a possible DMA
    > problem and these can occur with a lot of CD drives. (I have had to do
    > this with various Linux CD in the past.)

    Unless things have changed, removable media is always PIO mode by
    default. Yes, you can change this during boot.

    Ted

  12. Re: Hanging on the install

    %
    % acd0: CDRW at ata1-master UDMA33
    %
    % and it does this regardless of which boot option (safe mode, etc.)
    % that I pick. So then I think to myself, "Alright, let's try FreeBSD
    % proper." And I do. And it hangs one line later:

    try interupting the boot and typing

    hw.ata.atapi_dma="0"
    boot -v

    The first line disables DMA on the CD drive, which might fix the problem.
    The second line gives more verbose output.
    --

    Patrick TJ McPhee
    North York Canada

  13. Re: Hanging on the install

    > hw.ata.atapi_dma="0"
    > boot -v

    The first line is unrecognized:
    hw.ata.atapi_dma="0" not found

    The second does possibly give a little more information, maybe:
    (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): error 22
    (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Unretryable Error
    (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Down reving Protocol Version from 2 to 0?

    Then a bunch more error 22's and Unretryable Errors.

  14. Re: Hanging on the install

    guises@gmail.com wrote:
    >> hw.ata.atapi_dma="0"
    >> boot -v

    > The first line is unrecognized:
    > hw.ata.atapi_dma="0" not found

    It should be 'set ' (set followed by a space) in front of it.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  15. Re: Hanging on the install

    > It should be 'set ' (set followed by a space) in front of it.

    Alright, well that seemed to work (no errors anyway) but it didn't
    change anything.

    I'll try installing from floppies... as soon as I can find some.

  16. Re: Hanging on the install

    In article <0d5cebdb-3bbb-46f7-87e2-6c7c89995054@x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
    wrote:
    % > hw.ata.atapi_dma="0"
    % > boot -v
    %
    % The first line is unrecognized:
    % hw.ata.atapi_dma="0" not found

    Sorry about that. This is the syntax for loader.conf.

    % The second does possibly give a little more information, maybe:
    % (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): error 22
    % (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Unretryable Error
    % (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Down reving Protocol Version from 2 to 0?
    %
    % Then a bunch more error 22's and Unretryable Errors.

    This doesn't seem to be related. This is USB mass storage, but your
    DVD is an ATA device.
    --

    Patrick TJ McPhee
    North York Canada

  17. Re: Hanging on the install

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 00:50:27 -0500,
    Patrick TJ McPhee wrote:
    > wrote:
    > % The second does possibly give a little more information, maybe:
    > % (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): error 22
    > % (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Unretryable Error
    > % (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Down reving Protocol Version from 2 to 0?
    > %
    > % Then a bunch more error 22's and Unretryable Errors.
    >
    > This doesn't seem to be related. This is USB mass storage, but your
    > DVD is an ATA device.

    Since it hangs _after_ probing the ata dvd, as shown by verbose booting,
    it stands to reason that the usb probing is where the real problem pops up.