Implementing RBL functionality in spamd - BSD

This is a discussion on Implementing RBL functionality in spamd - BSD ; Hello, As spamd is meant to be used a the very front end for receiving mails, that would be the MX record for a domain, I was thinking that actually it would be great if spamd could also use RBL ...

  1. Implementing RBL functionality in spamd

    Hello,

    As spamd is meant to be used a the very front end for receiving mails,
    that would be the MX record for a domain, I was thinking that actually
    it would be great if spamd could also use RBL as blacklist source. For
    example zen.spamhaus.org.

    Now in spamd.conf there is the possibility to use exec and I guess
    writting a script doing queries to a RBL source would work but maybe it
    wouldn't be very effective (forking a shell script which forks a dns
    query and so on). So I wanted to suggest maybe implementing a new method
    called "dns" or "rbl" where you would just specify one or many RBL
    sources to query.

    What do you guys out there think of this idea ? Would this work ? Has
    someone already tryed something like that and can share his results ?

    Regards

  2. Re: Implementing RBL functionality in spamd

    Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:

    > Early spamd config examples included if I remember correctly the magic
    > to slurp in spamhaus blacklists. Then at some point spamhaus
    > discontinued their free service, and the examples were removed. That
    > means either spamhaus has at one time offered their list in a format
    > spamd can use or that the conversion is fairly trivial. Browsing
    > cvsweb for older versions will likely reveal what was the case.

    Well it's nice that once upon a time it had this feature but doesn't
    help much ;-) I was more thinking that implementing a DNS querying
    system directly into spamd which can then use any RBL sources directly
    (without the need of downloading a list). Would that sound like a good
    idea ? I am convinced about it but well have not much experience with C
    and then I would somehow need to get a cvs account to be able to commit
    and so on. Is someone out there maybe interested in implementing such a
    feature ? I am pretty sure a lot of people would be delighted.

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread