Running spamd (greylist) on a non firewall machine - BSD

This is a discussion on Running spamd (greylist) on a non firewall machine - BSD ; Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to run spamd in greylisting mode (default) as a filter front-end to our mail server not on a firewall but simply on a normal server on our network (behind the firewall) ? ...

  1. Running spamd (greylist) on a non firewall machine

    Hello,

    I was wondering if it is possible to run spamd in greylisting mode
    (default) as a filter front-end to our mail server not on a firewall but
    simply on a normal server on our network (behind the firewall) ?

    I am not sure about it because spamd needs the originating IP of the
    sender and maybe through NAT it gets lost or something ?

    Regards

  2. Re: Running spamd (greylist) on a non firewall machine

    Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
    > You would need to have PF running on that machine with a very simple
    > rule set, but sure, there is no law of nature that dictates spamd has
    > to run on your gateway.

    Great news! My plan was maybe to move the spamd daemon from the firewall
    of and to make have two openbsd servers behind the firewall doing just
    that in load balancing and with spamd synchronisation.

    Now I am also wondering if it is possible to use greylisting with
    blacklisting. Because if I look the "-b" option it says "work in
    blacklisting mode ONLY" so meaning that greylisting wouldn't work anymore ?

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread