smb performance slow freebsd/winxp home. - BSD

This is a discussion on smb performance slow freebsd/winxp home. - BSD ; Hello, When I transfer a dvd using dvdbackup from a freebsd machine to a local WinXP home edition machine mounted via mount_smbfs, I get a transfer rate around 10MB/s. As soon as a second freebsd machine starts dumping dvd data ...

  1. smb performance slow freebsd/winxp home.

    Hello,

    When I transfer a dvd using dvdbackup from a freebsd machine to a local
    WinXP home edition machine mounted via mount_smbfs, I get a transfer
    rate around 10MB/s. As soon as a second freebsd machine starts dumping
    dvd data to the windows machine, both freebsd machines transfer
    ~700kb/sec. Anybody explain this?

    Some sites recommend net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable 1 -> 0. It made no
    difference for me.

    Regards,

    Monty

  2. Re: smb performance slow freebsd/winxp home.

    Monty Hall wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > When I transfer a dvd using dvdbackup from a freebsd machine to a local
    > WinXP home edition machine mounted via mount_smbfs, I get a transfer
    > rate around 10MB/s. As soon as a second freebsd machine starts dumping
    > dvd data to the windows machine, both freebsd machines transfer
    > ~700kb/sec. Anybody explain this?
    >
    > Some sites recommend net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable 1 -> 0. It made no
    > difference for me.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Monty

    Have you tried copying the DVD to your Hard Drive before copy over network?
    DVD read rate isn't always that great...

    --

    Bill
    FreeBSD 7 on AMD-64

  3. Re: smb performance slow freebsd/winxp home.

    Begin
    On Wed, 21 May 2008 20:38:11 -0400, Monty Hall wrote:
    > When I transfer a dvd using dvdbackup from a freebsd machine to a local
    > WinXP home edition machine mounted via mount_smbfs, I get a transfer
    > rate around 10MB/s. As soon as a second freebsd machine starts dumping
    > dvd data to the windows machine, both freebsd machines transfer
    > ~700kb/sec. Anybody explain this?

    You're asking your teletubby toy to do server-y things. Oh-oooh!

    In other words, you could try the same with two windows machines
    writing on that smb share and you might see the same.