Where Would We Be Without Novell? - BSD

This is a discussion on Where Would We Be Without Novell? - BSD ; Take a look at this list: http://www.novell.com/company/affiliations/ Novell is involved in coding, testing, and/or supporting everything on that list. Some of that is a result of the SuSE acquisition, but their participation in Apache, PERL, PHP, etc. predates that. So ...

  1. Where Would We Be Without Novell?

    Take a look at this list:

    http://www.novell.com/company/affiliations/

    Novell is involved in coding, testing, and/or supporting everything on that list. Some of that is a result of the SuSE acquisition, but their participation in Apache, PERL, PHP, etc. predates that.

    So here is my question: if you removed Novell from Open Source, where would we be? What would Linux look like?

    Now take a look at that list again.

    Gnome, KDE, Apache, Perl, PHP, Wine, XEN, AppArmor, Open Office, PostgreSQL, Mozilla, Mono, and MySQL all have received code or monetary support from Novell and their developers.

    I reckon that if you really hate Novell, then you shouldn't use any of their code.

    Good luck with that.

  2. Re: Where Would We Be Without Novell?

    Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    > Take a look at this list:
    >
    > http://www.novell.com/company/affiliations/
    >
    > Novell is involved in coding, testing, and/or supporting everything on that list. Some of that is a result of the SuSE acquisition, but their participation in Apache, PERL, PHP, etc. predates that.
    >
    > So here is my question: if you removed Novell from Open Source, where would we be? What would Linux look like?
    >
    > Now take a look at that list again.
    >
    > Gnome, KDE, Apache, Perl, PHP, Wine, XEN, AppArmor, Open Office, PostgreSQL, Mozilla, Mono, and MySQL all have received code or monetary support from Novell and their developers.
    >
    > I reckon that if you really hate Novell, then you shouldn't use any of their code.
    >
    > Good luck with that.

    And when Microsoft buys Novell, they will own Linux and crush it.

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ? ?

  3. Re: Where Would We Be Without Novell?

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 14:52:42 -0400, Claude Hopper 5. ? wrote:

    > Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    >> Take a look at this list:
    >>
    >> http://www.novell.com/company/affiliations/
    >>
    >> Novell is involved in coding, testing, and/or supporting everything on that list. Some of that is a result of the SuSE acquisition, but their participation in Apache, PERL, PHP, etc. predates that.
    >>
    >> So here is my question: if you removed Novell from Open Source, where would we be? What would Linux look like?
    >>
    >> Now take a look at that list again.
    >>
    >> Gnome, KDE, Apache, Perl, PHP, Wine, XEN, AppArmor, Open Office, PostgreSQL, Mozilla, Mono, and MySQL all have received code or monetary support from Novell and their developers.
    >>
    >> I reckon that if you really hate Novell, then you shouldn't use any of their code.
    >>
    >> Good luck with that.
    >>

    > And when Microsoft buys Novell, they will own Linux and crush it.

    You clearly know nothing about Linux.

    --
    "Remain calm, we're here to protect you!"

  4. Re: Where Would We Be Without Novell?

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 14:52:42 -0400, Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? typed this
    message:

    > Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    >> Take a look at this list:
    >>
    >> http://www.novell.com/company/affiliations/
    >>
    >> Novell is involved in coding, testing, and/or supporting everything on
    >> that list. Some of that is a result of the SuSE acquisition, but their
    >> participation in Apache, PERL, PHP, etc. predates that.
    >>
    >> So here is my question: if you removed Novell from Open Source, where
    >> would we be? What would Linux look like?
    >>
    >> Now take a look at that list again.
    >>
    >> Gnome, KDE, Apache, Perl, PHP, Wine, XEN, AppArmor, Open Office,
    >> PostgreSQL, Mozilla, Mono, and MySQL all have received code or monetary
    >> support from Novell and their developers.
    >>
    >> I reckon that if you really hate Novell, then you shouldn't use any of
    >> their code.
    >>
    >> Good luck with that.
    >>

    > And when Microsoft buys Novell, they will own Linux and crush it.

    Yeah, Novell was hugely responsible for starting the PC networking
    industry.

  5. Re: Where Would We Be Without Novell?

    noi ance wrote:
    > Yeah, Novell was hugely responsible for starting the PC networking
    > industry.

    A pet peeve from an os based on networking is hidden passwords.
    I'm a dyslexic typist, get them wrong all the time. But if someone
    looked over my shoulder to get a password, I dont have a computer
    problem, I have a *family* problem.

    Linux is great for the networked business environment, but for the home
    user, DOS was vastly more convenient to use.

  6. Re: Where Would We Be Without Novell?

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 23:37:54 -0500
    Day Brown wrote:

    > noi ance wrote:
    > > Yeah, Novell was hugely responsible for starting the PC networking
    > > industry.

    > A pet peeve from an os based on networking is hidden passwords.
    > I'm a dyslexic typist, get them wrong all the time. But if someone
    > looked over my shoulder to get a password, I dont have a computer
    > problem, I have a *family* problem.

    Now consider being not at home with your family but in
    school/college with pranksters around, or on a public machine (library,
    internet cafe etc.). There are times when you *really* don't want your
    passwords visible.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  7. Re: Where Would We Be Without Novell?

    "Day Brown" wrote in message
    > noi ance wrote:
    > > Yeah, Novell was hugely responsible for starting the PC networking
    > > industry.

    > A pet peeve from an os based on networking is hidden passwords.
    > I'm a dyslexic typist, get them wrong all the time. But if someone
    > looked over my shoulder to get a password, I dont have a computer
    > problem, I have a *family* problem.
    >
    > Linux is great for the networked business environment, but for the home
    > user, DOS was vastly more convenient to use.

    And why exactly is it impossible to make a patch to the passwd command
    to turn on echoing of passwords? Seems that it is under DOS, since there's
    no source, yet it IS possible under these lynucks and feeebsssside
    computers.

    Yes, once again a MS operating system gets touted for a "feature" that
    is stupid that nobody would want, and would be a few minutes work for
    the -one person- that wants that stupid feature to simply switch on under
    the open source OS.

    YeGads.

    Ted

  8. Re: Where Would We Be Without Novell?

    "Borked Pseudo Mailed" wrote in message
    news:a1842d01eed7aeaee08f62d85abf79d2@pseudo.borke d.net...
    > Take a look at this list:
    >
    > http://www.novell.com/company/affiliations/
    >
    > Novell is involved in coding, testing, and/or supporting everything on
    > that list. Some of that is a result of the SuSE acquisition, but their
    > participation in Apache, PERL, PHP, etc. predates that.
    >
    > So here is my question: if you removed Novell from Open Source, where
    > would we be? What would Linux look like?
    >
    > Now take a look at that list again.
    >
    > Gnome, KDE, Apache, Perl, PHP, Wine, XEN, AppArmor, Open Office,
    > PostgreSQL, Mozilla, Mono, and MySQL all have received code or monetary
    > support from Novell and their developers.
    >
    > I reckon that if you really hate Novell, then you shouldn't use any of
    > their code.
    >
    > Good luck with that.

    Who the hell are you ****wad??? You work for Novell??? Does Novell feed your
    family???
    We dont need Novell, Canonical and and that bull****. Mark Shuttleworth can
    keep his greens to himself!
    And speaking of Novell, if my memory serves me correctly, it made a Faustian
    deal with a multi billion dollar company that sells grossly overpriced and
    under-performing operating systems, trashy office suites and even
    worse.......... its own programming IDE which NEVER confirm to stable,
    tried-n-tested,multi-platform-compliant standards.

  9. Re: Where Would We Be Without Novell?

    Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:

    > Take a look at this list:
    >
    > http://www.novell.com/company/affiliations/
    >
    > Novell is involved in coding, testing, and/or supporting everything on
    > that list. Some of that is a result of the SuSE acquisition, but their
    > participation in Apache, PERL, PHP, etc. predates that.
    >
    > So here is my question: if you removed Novell from Open Source, where
    > would we be? What would Linux look like?
    >
    > Now take a look at that list again.
    >
    > Gnome, KDE, Apache, Perl, PHP, Wine, XEN, AppArmor, Open Office,
    > PostgreSQL, Mozilla, Mono, and MySQL all have received code or monetary
    > support from Novell and their developers.
    >
    > I reckon that if you really hate Novell, then you shouldn't use any of
    > their code.
    >
    > Good luck with that.

    You've missed the point... it's NOT their code... it's all GPL protected. So
    yes, I diss novell, bigtime. In fact... I've personally removed alot suse
    installs in favor of either redhat or gentoo. Fact is, people that
    understand the microsoft infusion into novell, really really aren't happy
    about it and have moved off the suse platform shortly after the microsoft
    buyout. Those that stayed or buy into novell were, or are, windows
    weenies/zombies anyways.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  10. Re: Where Would We Be Without Novell?

    Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote:

    > Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    >> Take a look at this list:
    >>
    >> http://www.novell.com/company/affiliations/
    >>
    >> Novell is involved in coding, testing, and/or supporting everything on
    >> that list. Some of that is a result of the SuSE acquisition, but their
    >> participation in Apache, PERL, PHP, etc. predates that.
    >>
    >> So here is my question: if you removed Novell from Open Source, where
    >> would we be? What would Linux look like?
    >>
    >> Now take a look at that list again.
    >>
    >> Gnome, KDE, Apache, Perl, PHP, Wine, XEN, AppArmor, Open Office,
    >> PostgreSQL, Mozilla, Mono, and MySQL all have received code or monetary
    >> support from Novell and their developers.
    >>
    >> I reckon that if you really hate Novell, then you shouldn't use any of
    >> their code.
    >>
    >> Good luck with that.
    >>

    > And when Microsoft buys Novell, they will own Linux and crush it.

    Only if they honor the GPL first... :')
    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  11. Re: Where Would We Be Without Novell?

    noi ance wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 14:52:42 -0400, Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? typed this
    > message:
    >
    >> Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    >>> Take a look at this list:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.novell.com/company/affiliations/
    >>>
    >>> Novell is involved in coding, testing, and/or supporting everything on
    >>> that list. Some of that is a result of the SuSE acquisition, but their
    >>> participation in Apache, PERL, PHP, etc. predates that.
    >>>
    >>> So here is my question: if you removed Novell from Open Source, where
    >>> would we be? What would Linux look like?
    >>>
    >>> Now take a look at that list again.
    >>>
    >>> Gnome, KDE, Apache, Perl, PHP, Wine, XEN, AppArmor, Open Office,
    >>> PostgreSQL, Mozilla, Mono, and MySQL all have received code or monetary
    >>> support from Novell and their developers.
    >>>
    >>> I reckon that if you really hate Novell, then you shouldn't use any of
    >>> their code.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck with that.
    >>>

    >> And when Microsoft buys Novell, they will own Linux and crush it.

    > Yeah, Novell was hugely responsible for starting the PC networking
    > industry.

    Pretty close. But they didn't do it with linux.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  12. Re: Where Would We Be Without Novell?

    On May 14, 2:30*am, Borked Pseudo Mailed
    wrote:
    > Take a look at this list:
    >
    > http://www.novell.com/company/affiliations/
    >
    > Novell is involved in coding, testing, and/or supporting everything on that list. Some of that is a result of the SuSE acquisition, but their participation in Apache, PERL, PHP, etc. predates that.
    >
    > So here is my question: if you removed Novell from Open Source, where would we be? What would Linux look like?
    >
    > Now take a look at that list again.
    >
    > Gnome, KDE, Apache, Perl, PHP, Wine, XEN, AppArmor, Open Office, PostgreSQL, Mozilla, Mono, and MySQL all have received code or monetary support from Novell and their developers.
    >
    > I reckon that if you really hate Novell, then you shouldn't use any of their code.
    >
    > Good luck with that.

    It is easy for you to write bold statement at your finger tips and
    draws immature conclusion from what you see.

    What exactly are the affiliations? To what depth they affiliate

    IMHO, SuSE will be better without Novell. I have been shipping
    products with SuSE & SLES for more than 7 years. Since Novell bought
    SuSE, I gradually experienced surprises from the OS updates, broken
    installation process, ship with flaky betas, dump new softwares in OS
    sub-release upgrade.

    Novell certainly have visions but IMO they don't execute well.

+ Reply to Thread