How do I change the console device in /etc/ttys ??? - BSD

This is a discussion on How do I change the console device in /etc/ttys ??? - BSD ; The default /etc/ttys file sets all of the consoles TTYn as cons25. I'm trying to change some of the consoles to other types, including cons25-w, cons43-w. It seems whatever I do, I end up with a cons25 80x25 terminal. How ...

  1. How do I change the console device in /etc/ttys ???

    The default /etc/ttys file sets all of the consoles TTYn as cons25. I'm
    trying to change some of the consoles to other types, including cons25-w,
    cons43-w. It seems whatever I do, I end up with a cons25 80x25 terminal.
    How can I override the default console type?

    - Michael Faklis Michael_Faklis@EvolSwSys.net

  2. Re: How do I change the console device in /etc/ttys ???

    In our last episode, , the lovely
    and talented Michael Faklis broadcast on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc:

    > The default /etc/ttys file sets all of the consoles TTYn as cons25. I'm
    > trying to change some of the consoles to other types, including cons25-w,
    > cons43-w. It seems whatever I do, I end up with a cons25 80x25 terminal.
    > How can I override the default console type?

    As I understand it, the entry in ttys is an attempt to describe the terminal
    type to getty and doesn't make getty do anything to the terminal.

    While it is usually a simple matter to change the video mode for all the
    virtual termnals (using allscreens_flags in rc.conf with the VESA module in
    the kernel if you need a VESA mode), I do not think it is possible to change
    only some of them with satisfactory results. Switching screens will not
    work automagically. You can use vidcontrol (see man vidcontrol) to change
    video modes and fonts, but it will affect all of the virtual terms (until
    and unless you use vidcontrol to change the mode back. You can make this
    process a little less painful by aliasing vidcontrol with appropriate flags
    to something easy to remember (and if you set all three font sizes in
    rc.conf --- the normal practice --- the right font will be used), but I
    don't know of any way to make switching screens seamless when you want
    virtual terminals in differing video modes.

    In other words, if you have not set allscreens_flags, you will get 80x25 on
    all virtual terms until you set another mode with vidcontrol. You will then
    get that mode on all virtual terms until you (re)set the mode with
    vidcontrol. You can tame vidcontrol with shell aliasing (even on a
    per-program basis), but so far as I know, you cannot make it automatic when
    you change screens with keystrokes (default= Alt-Fxx).

    --
    Lars Eighner usenet@larseighner.com
    Countdown: 257 days to go.

+ Reply to Thread