Executing a Digial UNIX/Alpha executable - BSD

This is a discussion on Executing a Digial UNIX/Alpha executable - BSD ; Hi, I know this is a stupid question (I'm a noob), but hopefully someone can straighten me out. I am trying to port an application from Digital UNIX 4.0 running on a Digital AlphaServer to a x86 box running FreeBSD ...

  1. Executing a Digial UNIX/Alpha executable

    Hi,

    I know this is a stupid question (I'm a noob), but hopefully someone
    can straighten me out. I am trying to port an application from
    Digital UNIX 4.0 running on a Digital AlphaServer to a x86 box running
    FreeBSD 7.0. Everything is going OK except for one little utility on
    the old system that I need that I do not have the source for.. and it
    won't run it in FreeBSD.

    file gives:
    COFF format alpha dynamically linked, demand paged executable or
    object module, stripped - version 3. 11- 8

    when I try to run it:
    cannot execute binary file

    Now obviously I know the two are different architectures, but are
    there emulators or something I can do to get that old binary file to
    run properly on FreeBSD?

    Could really use some help here..THANKS!!!

  2. Re: Executing a Digial UNIX/Alpha executable

    On Wed, 7 May 2008 12:38:19 -0700 (PDT),
    dontinou wrote:
    > Now obviously I know the two are different architectures, but are
    > there emulators or something I can do to get that old binary file to
    > run properly on FreeBSD?

    Note that all the ``emulation'' environments in FreeBSD (and NetBSD, for
    that matter) require running the same CPU, so short of a full emulator
    you're SOL. A quick look through ports/emulators didn't reveal any.

    If there are alpha emulators for x86 available you're welcome to submit
    a port, of course. :-)