FreeBSD, Apache, PHP and Firebird2 - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD, Apache, PHP and Firebird2 - BSD ; After spending many late nights trying to make this work, I've finally found a working combination, and figured this might be a good place to sum up some of the potholes I've been in.... Years ago, I set up a ...

  1. FreeBSD, Apache, PHP and Firebird2

    After spending many late nights trying to make this work, I've finally
    found a working combination, and figured this might be a good place to
    sum up some of the potholes I've been in....

    Years ago, I set up a few systems running Apache1.3x, PHP4.x and using
    Firebird 1.5x as the db engine. It worked great for many years as the
    systems just sat there doing their thing - basically with no
    maintenance.

    Recently I had reason to set up a new machine, and of course I started
    with a fresh FreeBSD 7.0. Apache2, PHP5 both installed fine from ports,
    but Firebird2 exits with "please don't compile as root".

    The workaround I found was to create a "work" directory under both
    /usr/ports/databases/firebird2-client and
    /usr/ports/databases/firebird2-server, and then set the owner to
    both directories to my "wheel" user. Now I could exit root, and
    do "make install clean" in the server directory to get both
    built. I couldn't find a straightforward how-to anywhere, so this
    is the best I could come up with...

    So far so good. Then I had to go to /var/db/firebird and do
    'chown firebird:firebird security2.fdb'. Seems like something that
    the install script should do, but it apparently doesn't...

    So, after make:ing the php5-extenstions port with the interbase option
    turned on I tried connecting to a test db from PHP.

    That gave me a SEGFAULT!

    This is where I spent a few days recompiling, reinstalling messing
    around. I finally found a notice that it might be an issue with the
    firebird client version 2.0.2_1 that is shipped with FreeBSD7.0..

    I discovered that FreeBSD 6.3 comes with Firebird 2.0.3_1, so I wiped
    my test machine, put a fresh install of 6.3 with all the other stuff and
    behold -- it WORKS!

    Now if I could only figure out how to use a newer version of Firebird
    with FreeBSD 7.0... I'm in no way a BSD guru, and every attempt I've
    made to pick-and-choose versions have failed, but maybe there is a way?

    Anyway - sorry for the lengthy post - hope it can save some time for
    someone...

  2. Re: FreeBSD, Apache, PHP and Firebird2

    Begin <%EvTj.45723$OV4.26648@fe127.usenetserver.com>
    On Sun, 04 May 2008 21:02:08 -0700, Andrew wrote:
    [snip: issues with firebird-the-database and FreeBSD7]
    > Anyway - sorry for the lengthy post - hope it can save some time for
    > someone...

    I haven't checked, but ports/UPDATING may contain hints as to the what
    and why, too. If not, both issues are something to report to the port's
    maintainer and/or send a PR about. send-pr(1) might be helpful, and also
    the articles/handbook section dealing with the subject. Appreciate the
    effort, but I mention this because sending a PR records it in a central
    database where the maintainers can find it again.

  3. Re: FreeBSD, Apache, PHP and Firebird2

    Andrew wrote:

    [snip]

    > This is where I spent a few days recompiling, reinstalling messing
    > around. I finally found a notice that it might be an issue with the
    > firebird client version 2.0.2_1 that is shipped with FreeBSD7.0..
    >
    > I discovered that FreeBSD 6.3 comes with Firebird 2.0.3_1, so I wiped
    > my test machine, put a fresh install of 6.3 with all the other stuff and
    > behold -- it WORKS!
    >
    > Now if I could only figure out how to use a newer version of Firebird
    > with FreeBSD 7.0... I'm in no way a BSD guru, and every attempt I've
    > made to pick-and-choose versions have failed, but maybe there is a way?

    [snip]

    I didn't try to build it as I don't need it, but I looked at a FreeBSD 7
    machine here that was csup'd a couple of days ago and the port Makefile
    shows version 2.0.3. There is only one current ports tree, which when
    updated/refreshed should be identical for 6.x or 7.x. Perhaps you forgot to
    csup/cvsup your ports tree? This is what the 2.0.2 on FreeBSD 7 would seem
    to indicate. Just a thought.

    -Jason

+ Reply to Thread