amd64 7.0R: can the console do better than 80x25? - BSD

This is a discussion on amd64 7.0R: can the console do better than 80x25? - BSD ; As per the subject. I've done some googling but so far I've only come across some information that is specific to i386, or earlier FreeBSD releases. I've tried adding "options SC_PIXEL_MODE" to the kernel config but "vidcontrol -i mode" still ...

  1. amd64 7.0R: can the console do better than 80x25?

    As per the subject. I've done some googling but so far I've only come
    across some information that is specific to i386, or earlier FreeBSD
    releases.

    I've tried adding "options SC_PIXEL_MODE" to the kernel config but
    "vidcontrol -i mode" still only shows a single 80x25 entry. "options
    VESA" is not supported by amd64.

    Thanks for any assistance.

  2. Re: amd64 7.0R: can the console do better than 80x25?

    No one has any ideas?

  3. Re: amd64 7.0R: can the console do better than 80x25?

    On Sat, 3 May 2008 23:05:50 -0700 (PDT), googlegroups@sensation.net.au
    wrote:

    >As per the subject. I've done some googling but so far I've only come
    >across some information that is specific to i386, or earlier FreeBSD
    >releases.
    >
    >I've tried adding "options SC_PIXEL_MODE" to the kernel config but
    >"vidcontrol -i mode" still only shows a single 80x25 entry. "options
    >VESA" is not supported by amd64.

    VESA drivers required to set the console to anything other than the
    standard 80x25 display do not exist in 64-bit versions. If you want
    to run yesterday's technology today, you would have to run FreeBSD
    32-bit, for which VESA drivers exist.

    These days, people who are fussy about diddling with the console
    display, ususally run x.org.

    >Thanks for any assistance.

+ Reply to Thread