multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from partitions - BSD

This is a discussion on multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from partitions - BSD ; Hi All, Just couple of questions please: -Do you know a multi-booter software (doesn't matter if it's commercial) that will let me multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from partitions that are on the same hard ...

  1. multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from partitions

    Hi All,
    Just couple of questions please:

    -Do you know a multi-booter software (doesn't matter if it's commercial)
    that will
    let me multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from
    partitions that are
    on the same hard drive?
    -Can Free BSD (as it's possible with Linux) be booted (off whatever
    partition) from a boot floppy?
    -Can Free BSD be installed on a 3rd, 4th partition of a hard drive?

    Thanks

  2. Re: multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from partitions

    SLloyd wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > Just couple of questions please:
    >
    > -Do you know a multi-booter software (doesn't matter if it's commercial)
    > that will
    > let me multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from
    > partitions that are
    > on the same hard drive?

    extipl. It's in the ports.

    > -Can Free BSD (as it's possible with Linux) be booted (off whatever
    > partition) from a boot floppy?

    Yes.

    > -Can Free BSD be installed on a 3rd, 4th partition of a hard drive?

    Yes.

    By the way... It's neither "Free BSD" nor "Free BSD", but "FreeBSD".

    Martin
    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.

  3. Re: multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from partitions

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:01:48 -0700, SLloyd wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > Just couple of questions please:
    >
    > -Do you know a multi-booter software (doesn't matter if it's commercial)
    > that will
    > let me multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from
    > partitions that are
    > on the same hard drive?
    > -Can Free BSD (as it's possible with Linux) be booted (off whatever
    > partition) from a boot floppy?

    Yes, this should be possible with a grub floppy.

    > -Can Free BSD be installed on a 3rd, 4th partition of a hard drive?

    Yes. I don't know/never tried a logical partition (which will work with
    Linux).

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr

  4. Re: multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux frompartitions

    Paul Floyd wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:01:48 -0700, SLloyd wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >> Just couple of questions please:
    >>
    >> -Do you know a multi-booter software (doesn't matter if it's commercial)
    >> that will
    >> let me multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from
    >> partitions that are
    >> on the same hard drive?
    >> -Can Free BSD (as it's possible with Linux) be booted (off whatever
    >> partition) from a boot floppy?

    > Yes, this should be possible with a grub floppy.
    >
    >> -Can Free BSD be installed on a 3rd, 4th partition of a hard drive?

    > Yes. I don't know/never tried a logical partition (which will work with
    > Linux).

    It believe it can be installed in a logical partition but booting the
    kernel is an issue.

    The FreeBSD bootstrap process (boot0 -> boot2 -> loader) doesn't support
    logical partitions. You can bypass the bootstrap process and boot the
    kernel directly by using Grub. The big downside is that the loader has
    an understand and control of quite of few things like kernel symbols,
    modules, variables which affect the kernel, etc ...

    I'd recommend using a primary partition if possible.

  5. Re: multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux frompartitions

    Paul Floyd wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:01:48 -0700, SLloyd wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >> Just couple of questions please:
    >>
    >> -Do you know a multi-booter software (doesn't matter if it's commercial)
    >> that will
    >> let me multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from
    >> partitions that are
    >> on the same hard drive?
    >> -Can Free BSD (as it's possible with Linux) be booted (off whatever
    >> partition) from a boot floppy?

    > Yes, this should be possible with a grub floppy.
    >
    >> -Can Free BSD be installed on a 3rd, 4th partition of a hard drive?

    > Yes. I don't know/never tried a logical partition (which will work with
    > Linux).

    It believe it can be installed in a logical partition but booting the
    kernel is an issue.

    The FreeBSD bootstrap process (boot0 -> boot2 -> loader) doesn't support
    logical partitions. You can bypass the bootstrap process and boot the
    kernel directly by using Grub. The big downside is that the loader has
    an understand and control of quite of few things like kernel symbols,
    modules, variables which affect the kernel, etc ...

    I'd recommend using a primary partition if possible.

  6. Re: multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from partitions

    SLloyd wrote:

    > -Do you know a multi-booter software (doesn't matter if it's commercial)
    > that will
    > let me multiboot easily Windows XP, Free BSD, Open BSD and Linux from
    > partitions that are
    > on the same hard drive?

    GAG is very handy for this, handles my test machine quite well. While my
    workstation (FreeBSD) and file server (OpenBSD) function fully off standard
    boot code.

    --
    It is difficult to soar with the eagles when you work with turkeys.

+ Reply to Thread