How to setup a microphone? - BSD

This is a discussion on How to setup a microphone? - BSD ; The FreeBSD handbook has plenty of good stuff about setting up a sound card but it seems to skip the issue of a microphone. Does any one know where I can find suitable information on this or perhaps how to ...

  1. How to setup a microphone?

    The FreeBSD handbook has plenty of good stuff about setting up a sound card
    but it seems to skip the issue of a microphone. Does any one know where I
    can find suitable information on this or perhaps how to do it? Searching
    the web, I've not found any thing very useful.

    My laptops audio works flawlessly with snd_atiixp but I'd rather enjoy it if
    I could have voice ability since FreeBSD fulfills 99% of my needs.

    At the moment my system only has TeamSpeak (linux client) and KDE's krec for
    software; any suggestions for taking voice recordings is welcome.
    TeamSpeaks a linux app so I don't expect much but at least I'm able to
    listen when I'm stuck in a an occasional meeting over it.

    --
    Imitation is the sincerest form of television.
    -- Fred Allen

  2. Re: How to setup a microphone?

    TerryP wrote:
    > The FreeBSD handbook has plenty of good stuff about setting up a sound card
    > but it seems to skip the issue of a microphone. Does any one know where I
    > can find suitable information on this or perhaps how to do it? Searching
    > the web, I've not found any thing very useful.

    Have you tries "man mixer" already?

    Martin

    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.

  3. Re: How to setup a microphone?

    Martin Etteldorf wrote:

    > TerryP wrote:
    >> The FreeBSD handbook has plenty of good stuff about setting up a sound
    >> card but it seems to skip the issue of a microphone. Does any one know
    >> where I can find suitable information on this or perhaps how to do it?
    >> Searching the web, I've not found any thing very useful.

    > Have you tries "man mixer" already?
    >

    > Martin

    Actually adjusting the mixer setting for 'mic' was the first thing I did
    once the Mic was plugged in... But I didn't notice the 'rec' field, unmuted
    that and it works flawlessly. I guess that's what happens when you assume
    you remember the fine manual, and actually forgot some thing hehe.

    Thanks !

    --
    "And what will you do when you grow up to be as big as me?"
    asked the father of his little son.

+ Reply to Thread