newbie question re startkde/xdm - BSD

This is a discussion on newbie question re startkde/xdm - BSD ; I am just starting with FreeBSD 7.0 after using OpenBSD for several years. I find that startx works but startkde does not (can't open display ''). I think startkde is not adding an xauth entry on FreeBSD, although startkde on ...

  1. newbie question re startkde/xdm

    I am just starting with FreeBSD 7.0 after using OpenBSD for several
    years. I find that startx works but startkde does not (can't open
    display ''). I think startkde is not adding an xauth entry on FreeBSD,
    although startkde on OpenBSD does. How can I modify the FreeBSD
    startkde so that it creates an xauth entry and starts properly?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: newbie question re startkde/xdm

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:50:28 -0500, dfeustel wrote:

    > I am just starting with FreeBSD 7.0 after using OpenBSD for several
    > years. I find that startx works but startkde does not (can't open
    > display ''). I think startkde is not adding an xauth entry on FreeBSD,
    > although startkde on OpenBSD does. How can I modify the FreeBSD startkde
    > so that it creates an xauth entry and starts properly?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Since you're using KDE vi /etc/ttys
    change line 8
    ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm" xterm on secure

  3. Re: newbie question re startkde/xdm

    Timmy wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:50:28 -0500, dfeustel wrote:
    >
    >> I am just starting with FreeBSD 7.0 after using OpenBSD for several
    >> years. I find that startx works but startkde does not (can't open
    >> display ''). I think startkde is not adding an xauth entry on FreeBSD,
    >> although startkde on OpenBSD does. How can I modify the FreeBSD startkde
    >> so that it creates an xauth entry and starts properly?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Since you're using KDE vi /etc/ttys
    > change line 8
    > ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm" xterm on secure

    I got used to not using kdm on OpenBSD. I now like starting kde manually after I log in
    when I ocasionally need to view graphics. Is that possible on FreeBSD? If so, how?
    (I run ksh in console mode at least 50% of the time.)

    Thanks.

  4. Re: newbie question re startkde/xdm

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:45:27 -0500, dfeustel wrote:

    > Timmy wrote:
    >> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:50:28 -0500, dfeustel wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am just starting with FreeBSD 7.0 after using OpenBSD for several
    >>> years. I find that startx works but startkde does not (can't open
    >>> display ''). I think startkde is not adding an xauth entry on FreeBSD,
    >>> although startkde on OpenBSD does. How can I modify the FreeBSD
    >>> startkde so that it creates an xauth entry and starts properly?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Since you're using KDE vi /etc/ttys
    >> change line 8
    >> ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm" xterm on secure

    > I got used to not using kdm on OpenBSD. I now like starting kde manually
    > after I log in when I ocasionally need to view graphics. Is that
    > possible on FreeBSD? If so, how? (I run ksh in console mode at least 50%
    > of the time.)
    >
    > Thanks.

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...ok/x11-wm.html

  5. Re: newbie question re startkde/xdm

    Timmy wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:45:27 -0500, dfeustel wrote:
    >
    >> Timmy wrote:

    >>> Since you're using KDE vi /etc/ttys
    >>> change line 8
    >>> ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm" xterm on secure

    >> I got used to not using kdm on OpenBSD. I now like starting kde manually
    >> after I log in when I ocasionally need to view graphics. Is that
    >> possible on FreeBSD? If so, how? (I run ksh in console mode at least 50%
    >> of the time.)
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...ok/x11-wm.html

    That's what I needed. Thanks!

    BTW: For the FIRST time since I bought it a couple of months ago, my LCD
    monitor works in 1440x900 instead of 1280x1024.

    YAHOOOO!!!

+ Reply to Thread