Backup Solution - BSD

This is a discussion on Backup Solution - BSD ; Hi, i want to use/develoe a backup solution under freebsd 7 wich only handles new and modiefied and deleted files. I know there are a lot sulutions like rync or rsnapshot. In my box there are 2 x 500 GB ...

  1. Backup Solution

    Hi,
    i want to use/develoe a backup solution under freebsd 7 wich only
    handles new and modiefied and deleted files.

    I know there are a lot sulutions like rync or rsnapshot.

    In my box there are 2 x 500 GB HDD, and if i use rsync or others the
    whole data will be scanned for file-differences since the last change.

    So my questions is, is it possible to detect wich file was accessed /
    modiefied /deleted without to do a scan of all files, e.g. trough kernel
    logs or permanent kernel querys.

    I would write the information to a database and will process the
    differenced from time to time.

    It would be much easyer to check only 20 or 30 megabyte for the
    increment backup.

    Mike

  2. Re: Backup Solution

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 01:54:21 +0000, Michael Schinhammer
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >i want to use/develoe a backup solution under freebsd 7 wich only
    >handles new and modiefied and deleted files.

    See: dump(8) -- specifying different dump levels will give you
    incremental backups with very little effort on your part. The man
    page explains the Tower of Hanoi algorithm for selecting dump levels
    as one way of doing it.

    >I know there are a lot sulutions like rync or rsnapshot.
    >
    >In my box there are 2 x 500 GB HDD, and if i use rsync or others the
    >whole data will be scanned for file-differences since the last change.
    >
    >So my questions is, is it possible to detect wich file was accessed /
    >modiefied /deleted without to do a scan of all files, e.g. trough kernel
    > logs or permanent kernel querys.

    See: mtree(8) -- compute / compare before and after checksums for
    each file, then decide what you want to do. Not sure if all this
    checksum computing will be any more efficient than just letting
    dump(8) do its thing with different dump levels.

    >I would write the information to a database and will process the
    >differenced from time to time.
    >
    >It would be much easyer to check only 20 or 30 megabyte for the
    >increment backup.
    >
    >Mike

  3. Re: Backup Solution

    On Apr 28, 11:54 am, Michael Schinhammer
    wrote:
    > In my box there are 2 x 500 GB HDD, and if i use rsync or others the
    > whole data will be scanned for file-differences since the last change.

    AFAIK rsync (with suitable command line options) won't do the delta
    compare unless the time or file size are different. It should skip
    over unchanged files.

+ Reply to Thread