nss ldap and Linux compat - BSD

This is a discussion on nss ldap and Linux compat - BSD ; I've recently migrated over all user authentication to LDAP and put nss_ldap onto my FreeBSD boxes. Everything was chucgging along nicely till someone tried to use acrobat. Bam failed. Turns out Linux emulation doesn't support ldap. And before asking, I ...

  1. nss ldap and Linux compat

    I've recently migrated over all user authentication to LDAP and put
    nss_ldap onto my FreeBSD boxes. Everything was chucgging along nicely
    till someone tried to use acrobat. Bam failed. Turns out Linux
    emulation doesn't support ldap. And before asking, I did fiddle with
    nss_switch in the linux etc directory.

    So I've found a work around. I've got a kludge, I've put a periodic job
    to :
    su operator -c 'getent passwd' > /compat/linux/tmp/passwd
    I've got a link from this file to the etc directory.

    So here's the million dollar question, does anyone have a real solution?

    The only one I've come up with that might work is switching to NIS. I
    spent a lot of time getting LDAP to work right and play with samba. I'm
    also in the process of migrating many of the aliases to LDAP and then
    building a real address book. So I really don't want to run LDAP and NIS.

    BTW using FreeBSD 62. on user platforms.

    Mike Packard
    news

  2. Re: nss ldap and Linux compat

    Begin
    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 22:42:56 -0600, Mike Packard wrote:
    > I've recently migrated over all user authentication to LDAP and put
    > nss_ldap onto my FreeBSD boxes. Everything was chucgging along nicely
    > till someone tried to use acrobat. Bam failed. Turns out Linux
    > emulation doesn't support ldap. And before asking, I did fiddle with
    > nss_switch in the linux etc directory.

    Wild guess: Tried adding linux versions of the ldap-client libraries?

  3. Re: nss ldap and Linux compat

    jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 22:42:56 -0600, Mike Packard wrote:
    >> I've recently migrated over all user authentication to LDAP and put
    >> nss_ldap onto my FreeBSD boxes. Everything was chucgging along nicely
    >> till someone tried to use acrobat. Bam failed. Turns out Linux
    >> emulation doesn't support ldap. And before asking, I did fiddle with
    >> nss_switch in the linux etc directory.

    > Wild guess: Tried adding linux versions of the ldap-client libraries?

    Ok, I looked at the handbook and I think I see what needs to be done. I
    need to get a linux installation, and copy the ldap-client and probably
    the nss-ldap libraries to the compat linux tree. I would imaging I need
    a linux installation compatible with the base linux of FreeBSD.

    So has anyone tried this?

    Mike Packard

  4. Re: nss ldap and Linux compat

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:51:32 -0600,
    Mike Packard wrote:
    > Ok, I looked at the handbook and I think I see what needs to be done. I
    > need to get a linux installation, and copy the ldap-client and probably
    > the nss-ldap libraries to the compat linux tree. I would imaging I need
    > a linux installation compatible with the base linux of FreeBSD.

    Actually, probably getting the requisite RPMs and installing them under
    the linuxulator should be enough. That's how the ports system does it
    too, after all.

  5. Re: nss ldap and Linux compat

    jpd wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:51:32 -0600,
    > Mike Packard wrote:
    >> Ok, I looked at the handbook and I think I see what needs to be done. I
    >> need to get a linux installation, and copy the ldap-client and probably
    >> the nss-ldap libraries to the compat linux tree. I would imaging I need
    >> a linux installation compatible with the base linux of FreeBSD.

    > Actually, probably getting the requisite RPMs and installing them under
    > the linuxulator should be enough. That's how the ports system does it
    > too, after all.

    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

    Mike Packard

+ Reply to Thread