Problem with xpdf on 7.0 - BSD

This is a discussion on Problem with xpdf on 7.0 - BSD ; I'm just starting to use 7.0 release on an AMD Athlon 64x2 4200 with an Acer 1440x900 lcd display and an Nvidia display card. X starts ok with 3 xterm windows. When I try to start xpdf, the display freezes ...

  1. Problem with xpdf on 7.0

    I'm just starting to use 7.0 release on an AMD Athlon 64x2 4200
    with an Acer 1440x900 lcd display and an Nvidia display card.

    X starts ok with 3 xterm windows. When I try to start xpdf,
    the display freezes just after drawing the frame of the xpdf
    window. I have to ctl-alt-backspace get control back.

    Any ideas as to what might be wrong with the configuration?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Problem with xpdf on 7.0

    In , on Sat, 26 Apr 2008
    21:15:50 -0500, dfeustel@mindspring.com, dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    > I'm just starting to use 7.0 release on an AMD Athlon 64x2 4200
    > with an Acer 1440x900 lcd display and an Nvidia display card.

    I have absolutely no experience with any of that
    hardware, however...

    > X starts ok with 3 xterm windows.

    Sounds like you're using twm.

    > When I try to start xpdf,
    > the display freezes just after drawing the frame of the xpdf
    > window.

    What do you mean by "freezes?" Do you have any mouse
    cursor at all? Does it move? Are you accustomed to the
    way twm works? Does the frame move around with the
    mouse? If so, what happens when you left-click?

    > Any ideas as to what might be wrong with the configuration?

    So far it sounds like what you'd expect with twm and
    no mouse.

  3. Re: Problem with xpdf on 7.0

    Steve Ackman wrote:
    > In , on Sat, 26 Apr 2008
    > 21:15:50 -0500, dfeustel@mindspring.com, dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    >> I'm just starting to use 7.0 release on an AMD Athlon 64x2 4200
    >> with an Acer 1440x900 lcd display and an Nvidia display card.

    > I have absolutely no experience with any of that
    > hardware, however...
    >
    >> X starts ok with 3 xterm windows.

    > Sounds like you're using twm.
    >
    >> When I try to start xpdf,
    >> the display freezes just after drawing the frame of the xpdf
    >> window.

    > What do you mean by "freezes?" Do you have any mouse
    > cursor at all? Does it move? Are you accustomed to the
    > way twm works? Does the frame move around with the
    > mouse? If so, what happens when you left-click?

    The mouse no longer works. The keyboard seems to be dead
    except for ctl-alt-backspace. With the mouse dead, everything
    else is dead too. I forgot to mention that I'm running in
    64-bit mode. I don't have any problems running xpdf under X
    on OpenBSD in 32-bit mode.

    >> Any ideas as to what might be wrong with the configuration?

    > So far it sounds like what you'd expect with twm and
    > no mouse.

+ Reply to Thread