Combine CPU Of 4-FBSD Boxes. - BSD

This is a discussion on Combine CPU Of 4-FBSD Boxes. - BSD ; Hi! If you have 4 boxes running FBSD-Stable-7 and you want to combine the cpu power of all 4-computers to buildworld/ports etc. How would you go about doing that and have a system wide roll out. Example: Lets say I ...

  1. Combine CPU Of 4-FBSD Boxes.

    Hi!

    If you have 4 boxes running FBSD-Stable-7 and you want to combine the cpu power of all 4-computers to
    buildworld/ports etc. How would you go about doing that and have a system wide roll out.

    Example:
    Lets say I want to install Firefox on all 4-boxes simultaneously and use the cpu of the 4-boxes to build the port
    Firefox, how do you do that? I've read up on 'headless installs' etc. No problem there. I want to have the build
    process share the cpu and code computations among the 4-boxes and distribute the finished product.

    Anyone knows hows to do this or have a few urls that you could share that would get me started in the right
    direction?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Combine CPU Of 4-FBSD Boxes.

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 00:23:25 GMT, Timmy wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >If you have 4 boxes running FBSD-Stable-7 and you want to combine the cpu power of all 4-computers to
    >buildworld/ports etc. How would you go about doing that and have a system wide roll out.
    >
    >Example:
    >Lets say I want to install Firefox on all 4-boxes simultaneously and use the cpu of the 4-boxes to build the port
    >Firefox, how do you do that? I've read up on 'headless installs' etc. No problem there. I want to have the build
    >process share the cpu and code computations among the 4-boxes and distribute the finished product.
    >
    >Anyone knows hows to do this or have a few urls that you could share that would get me started in the right
    >direction?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    /usr/ports/devel/distcc
    /usr/ports/devel/ccache

    Search the net using terms: freebsd distcc cluster howto

  3. Re: Combine CPU Of 4-FBSD Boxes.

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 02:15:51 +0000, Speechless wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 00:23:25 GMT, Timmy wrote:
    >
    >>Hi!
    >>
    >>If you have 4 boxes running FBSD-Stable-7 and you want to combine the
    >>cpu power of all 4-computers to buildworld/ports etc. How would you go
    >>about doing that and have a system wide roll out.
    >>
    >>Example:
    >>Lets say I want to install Firefox on all 4-boxes simultaneously and use
    >>the cpu of the 4-boxes to build the port Firefox, how do you do that?
    >>I've read up on 'headless installs' etc. No problem there. I want to
    >>have the build process share the cpu and code computations among the
    >>4-boxes and distribute the finished product.
    >>
    >>Anyone knows hows to do this or have a few urls that you could share
    >>that would get me started in the right direction?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance.
    >>

    > /usr/ports/devel/distcc
    > /usr/ports/devel/ccache
    >
    > Search the net using terms: freebsd distcc cluster howto

    Hi!
    I think I got it, distcc is slowwwwwwwww over inet.
    What would you suggest I do about it? I've tried everything. Is their some reason cluster has to have a static
    addy? What about over VPN? How do you have it setup?

    Thanks in advance.

  4. Re: Combine CPU Of 4-FBSD Boxes.

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:29:16 GMT, Timmy wrote:

    >On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 02:15:51 +0000, Speechless wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 00:23:25 GMT, Timmy wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi!
    >>>
    >>>If you have 4 boxes running FBSD-Stable-7 and you want to combine the
    >>>cpu power of all 4-computers to buildworld/ports etc. How would you go
    >>>about doing that and have a system wide roll out.
    >>>
    >>>Example:
    >>>Lets say I want to install Firefox on all 4-boxes simultaneously and use
    >>>the cpu of the 4-boxes to build the port Firefox, how do you do that?
    >>>I've read up on 'headless installs' etc. No problem there. I want to
    >>>have the build process share the cpu and code computations among the
    >>>4-boxes and distribute the finished product.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone knows hows to do this or have a few urls that you could share
    >>>that would get me started in the right direction?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance.
    >>>

    >> /usr/ports/devel/distcc
    >> /usr/ports/devel/ccache
    >>
    >> Search the net using terms: freebsd distcc cluster howto

    >Hi!
    >I think I got it, distcc is slowwwwwwwww over inet.

    Are you surprised? Your next item on your list of things to learn
    should be something about networking. The difference in speed between
    a LAN and a WAN, when referring to the typical residential internet
    service, is an interesting calculation that you might want to do
    before wasting too much of your time.

    >What would you suggest I do about it? I've tried everything.

    Maybe study some anthropology? Sometimes, it helps to understand why
    something was developed and how it was used.

    For starters, you might want to look up the meaning of the word
    "cluster" in a good dictionary and make sure you fully understand what
    the word means.

    What you are trying to do is sometimes referred to as "distributed
    computing". You might want to look up the meaning of the word
    "distributed" in a good dictionary and make sure you fully understand
    its meaning also.

    Typically, clustering is done over a LAN and distributed computing is
    done over a WAN. The techniques are designed to solve two different,
    almost diametrically opposed problems. With clustering, one of the
    objectives is to take advantage of network speed and capacity that a
    LAN offers, in other words, maximize network usage. With distributed
    computing, one of the objectives is to minimize the use of limited
    network resources and to reduce network congestion by limiting the
    amount of traffic over the WAN.

    As you've discovered the hard way, trying to do over a WAN what was
    designed to be done over a LAN, is not going to be too
    successful...something a network engineer would have discovered by
    using a calculator rather than by trial and error; the idea being to
    work smarter, not harder.

    You really ought to study some networking and, yes, some
    anthropology...knowing some history of computing, knowning the
    timelines of how things evolved, and what techniques were developed to
    address the issues of the day, why some techniques were discarded over
    time while others are still in use, will help you to select the right
    tool for the job to solve today's problems.

    >Is their some reason cluster has to have a static addy?

    Yes. The reason becomes clear when you learn something about
    networking. I'll leave this for you to discover.

    >What about over VPN?

    As the "P" in VPN suggests, VPN tries to address a network privacy
    issue, not a network speed issue, and you have a network speed issue.

    >How do you have it setup?

    At one time, I used a room full of PCs (cluster) connected together
    via a LAN. These days, a workstation built around a motherboard
    similar to this one:

    http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=554

    replaces that cluster; although, clustering is still used in
    situations when even boards such as this are not powerful enough.

    If a "beowulf cluster" (a term you ought to search for on the net) is
    a topic of interest to you, you may want to visit the following web
    pages for a look at examples of modern computer clusters built by
    students of the subject matter:

    http://www.slipperyskip.com/page10.html
    http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/cluster/?p
    http://www.calvin.edu/~adams/research/microwulf/