portupgrade of Firefox fails - BSD

This is a discussion on portupgrade of Firefox fails - BSD ; # uname -a FreeBSD wizard.dyndns.org 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008 root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu :/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386 Not that it's helped any, but I did a csup yesterday. Both of these fail: # portupgrade -O firefox # portupgrade -k ...

  1. portupgrade of Firefox fails

    # uname -a
    FreeBSD wizard.dyndns.org 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008
    root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

    Not that it's helped any, but I did a csup yesterday.

    Both of these fail:
    # portupgrade -O firefox
    # portupgrade -k firefox

    Apparently I can't portupgrade firefox because it
    depends on libgiofam. (same error as below)

    Ok,
    # cd /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend
    # make install

    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgio-2.0
    gmake: *** [libgiofam.la] Error 1
    *** Error code 2

    Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend

    Well, if I can't build it, how about using the package:

    # pkg_add -r gio-fam-backend
    # pkg_fetch gio-fam-backend

    Error: FTP Unable to get
    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...m-backend.tbz:
    File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
    pkg_add: unable to fetch
    'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.0-release/Latest/gio-fam-backend.tbz'
    by URL

    So, what do I have to do to get/upgrade to the latest
    firefox? The package in /Latest seems to still be
    2.0.0.12

  2. Re: portupgrade of Firefox fails

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:24:27 -0400,
    Steve Ackman wrote:
    [snip]
    > Apparently I can't portupgrade firefox because it
    > depends on libgiofam. (same error as below)

    I recently (the 15th) rebuilt firefox 2.0.0.13 from ports. Worked
    reasonably well, too. Did some upgrading of dependencies and fiddling by
    hand, so not as smooth as one-command-solves-all portupgrade.

    I have no idea what that dependency is and I don't seem to have it on
    my (6.2) system.

    Reading the Makefile suggests you have the smb:// url option enabled. If
    it's not important to you, turn it off and see if that helps.

    > So, what do I have to do to get/upgrade to the latest
    > firefox? The package in /Latest seems to still be
    > 2.0.0.12

    *checks the release notes* Oh, I should've known that a day after I
    finally got around to upgrading from 2.0.0.4 they'd come out with yet
    one more security advisory. How annoying.

  3. Re: portupgrade of Firefox fails

    In , on 25 Apr 2008 18:22:33
    GMT, jpd, read_the_sig@do.not.spam.it.invalid wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:24:27 -0400,

    > I recently (the 15th) rebuilt firefox 2.0.0.13 from ports. Worked
    > reasonably well, too. Did some upgrading of dependencies and fiddling by
    > hand, so not as smooth as one-command-solves-all portupgrade.
    >
    > I have no idea what that dependency is and I don't seem to have it on
    > my (6.2) system.

    I used to upgrade Firefox on 6.1 all the time. I
    recall some clashes between fam and gamin, but I don't
    recall if it had anything to do with firefox. Obviously
    this is a problem with gio-fam-backend.

    # cd /usr/ports/www/firefox
    # make install
    [...]
    ===> firefox-2.0.0.14,1 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/gio/modules/libgiofam.so - not found
    ===> Building for gio-fam-backend-2.16.3
    [...]
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgio-2.0
    gmake: *** [libgiofam.la] Error 1

    > Reading the Makefile suggests you have the smb:// url option enabled. If
    > it's not important to you, turn it off and see if that helps.

    No, it's off. The only option I had enabled was the
    first one, something to the effect of opening external
    links in a new tab.

    > *checks the release notes* Oh, I should've known that a day after I
    > finally got around to upgrading from 2.0.0.4 they'd come out with yet
    > one more security advisory. How annoying.

    Isn't that always the way. I'm tired of looking at
    my portaudit e-mail every day telling me my 2.0.0.12
    has multiple vulnerabilities.

  4. Re: install of gio-fam-backend fails (was: portupgrade of Firefox fails)

    Steve Ackman writes:

    > # uname -a
    > FreeBSD wizard.dyndns.org 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008
    > root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
    >
    > Not that it's helped any, but I did a csup yesterday.
    >
    > Both of these fail:
    > # portupgrade -O firefox
    > # portupgrade -k firefox
    >
    > Apparently I can't portupgrade firefox because it
    > depends on libgiofam. (same error as below)
    >
    > Ok,
    > # cd /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend
    > # make install
    >
    > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgio-2.0
    > gmake: *** [libgiofam.la] Error 1
    > *** Error code 2
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend.
    > *** Error code 1
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend
    >
    > Well, if I can't build it, how about using the package:
    >
    > # pkg_add -r gio-fam-backend
    > # pkg_fetch gio-fam-backend
    >
    > Error: FTP Unable to get
    > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...m-backend.tbz:
    > File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
    > pkg_add: unable to fetch
    > 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.0-release/Latest/gio-fam-backend.tbz'
    > by URL
    >
    > So, what do I have to do to get/upgrade to the latest
    > firefox? The package in /Latest seems to still be
    > 2.0.0.12

    Okay, so your problems are specifically with gio-fam-backend. Firefox
    is failing because it's *supposed* to depend on gio-fam-backend, so
    that's no mystery. What happens when you try to build
    gio-fam-backend? It looks like something went funny with the build,
    and you should try gio-fam-backend again, cleaning it first and
    looking at the results.

    --
    Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
    http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/

  5. Re: install of gio-fam-backend fails (was: portupgrade of Firefox fails)

    In <448wz0624c.fsf@Lowell-Desk.lan>, on Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:56:51
    -0400, Lowell Gilbert, lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org wrote:
    > Steve Ackman writes:
    >
    >> # uname -a
    >> FreeBSD wizard.dyndns.org 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008
    >> root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
    >>
    >> Not that it's helped any, but I did a csup yesterday.
    >>
    >> Both of these fail:
    >> # portupgrade -O firefox
    >> # portupgrade -k firefox
    >>
    >> Apparently I can't portupgrade firefox because it
    >> depends on libgiofam. (same error as below)
    >>
    >> Ok,
    >> # cd /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend
    >> # make install
    >>
    >> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgio-2.0
    >> gmake: *** [libgiofam.la] Error 1
    >> *** Error code 2
    >>
    >> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend.
    >> *** Error code 1
    >>
    >> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend
    >>
    >> Well, if I can't build it, how about using the package:
    >>
    >> # pkg_add -r gio-fam-backend
    >> # pkg_fetch gio-fam-backend
    >>
    >> Error: FTP Unable to get
    >> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...m-backend.tbz:
    >> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
    >> pkg_add: unable to fetch
    >> 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.0-release/Latest/gio-fam-backend.tbz'
    >> by URL
    >>
    >> So, what do I have to do to get/upgrade to the latest
    >> firefox? The package in /Latest seems to still be
    >> 2.0.0.12

    > Okay, so your problems are specifically with gio-fam-backend.

    Yes.

    > Firefox
    > is failing because it's *supposed* to depend on gio-fam-backend, so
    > that's no mystery. What happens when you try to build
    > gio-fam-backend?

    The error I get is above, in the post you're quoting.

    > It looks like something went funny with the build,
    > and you should try gio-fam-backend again, cleaning it first and
    > looking at the results.

    Already done, but let's try again with more of the
    tail end of the compile before the error:

    $ cd /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend
    $ sudo make clean
    $ sudo make install

    [...]

    mv -f ".libs/libgiofam.expT" ".libs/libgiofam.exp"
    cc -shared .libs/libgiofam_la-fam-helper.o
    ..libs/libgiofam_la-fam-module.o
    ..libs/libgiofam_la-gfamdirectorymonitor.o
    ..libs/libgiofam_la-gfamfilemonitor.o -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
    -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib
    /usr/local/lib/libintl.so -lgio-2.0 /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so
    /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so /usr/local/lib/libfam.so -Wl,-soname
    -Wl,libgiofam.so -Wl,-retain-symbols-file -Wl,.libs/libgiofam.exp -o
    ..libs/libgiofam.so
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgio-2.0
    gmake: *** [libgiofam.la] Error 1
    *** Error code 2

    Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend.

  6. Re: install of gio-fam-backend fails

    Steve Ackman wrote:
    > [snip]
    > Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend.

    Just want to say that I upgraded Firefox today with "make install
    clean", and there was no problem. Some system info:

    %pkg_info -Ex gio
    gio-fam-backend-2.16.1_1

    %uname -a
    FreeBSD localhost 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24
    19:59:52 UTC 2008
    root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

    Must be something rotten in your ports or package data.
    --
    Tore (home period no, user tl18)

  7. Re: install of gio-fam-backend fails (was: portupgrade of Firefox fails)

    Steve Ackman writes:

    > mv -f ".libs/libgiofam.expT" ".libs/libgiofam.exp"
    > cc -shared .libs/libgiofam_la-fam-helper.o
    > .libs/libgiofam_la-fam-module.o
    > .libs/libgiofam_la-gfamdirectorymonitor.o
    > .libs/libgiofam_la-gfamfilemonitor.o -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
    > -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib
    > /usr/local/lib/libintl.so -lgio-2.0 /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so
    > /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so /usr/local/lib/libfam.so -Wl,-soname
    > -Wl,libgiofam.so -Wl,-retain-symbols-file -Wl,.libs/libgiofam.exp -o
    > .libs/libgiofam.so
    > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgio-2.0
    > gmake: *** [libgiofam.la] Error 1
    > *** Error code 2
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend.

    Steve, what version of glib do you have installed? You may need to
    install glib 2 ( I have glib-2.16.3 here) before you can build the
    gio-fam-backend-2.16.3 port. Looking at the Makefile it says

    PORTNAME= gio-fam-backend
    PORTVERSION= 2.16.3
    CATEGORIES= devel
    MASTER_SITES= ${MASTER_SITE_GNOME:S,%SUBDIR%,sources/glib/${PORTVERSION:C/^([0-9]+\.[0-9]+).*/\1/},} \
    ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/glib/${PORTVERSION:C/^([0-9]+\.[0-9]+).*/\1/}/ \
    ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/%SUBDIR%/ \
    ftp://ftp.cs.umn.edu/pub/gimp/%SUBDIR%/ \
    http://www.ameth.org/gimp/%SUBDIR%/ \
    ${MASTER_SITE_RINGSERVER:S,%SUBDIR%,graphics/gimp/%SUBDIR%,}
    MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR= gtk/v${PORTVERSION:C/^([0-9]+\.[0-9]+).*/\1/}
    DISTNAME= glib-${PORTVERSION}

    I have these installed and Firefox builds with no problems.

    hth

    Glyn

  8. Re: install of gio-fam-backend fails (was: portupgrade of Firefox fails)

    In <86abjgjrzh.fsf@nowhere.org>, on Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:12:02 +0100,
    Glyn Millington, wistanswick@linuxmail.org wrote:
    > Steve Ackman writes:
    >
    >> mv -f ".libs/libgiofam.expT" ".libs/libgiofam.exp"
    >> cc -shared .libs/libgiofam_la-fam-helper.o
    >> .libs/libgiofam_la-fam-module.o
    >> .libs/libgiofam_la-gfamdirectorymonitor.o
    >> .libs/libgiofam_la-gfamfilemonitor.o -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
    >> -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib
    >> /usr/local/lib/libintl.so -lgio-2.0 /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so
    >> /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so /usr/local/lib/libfam.so -Wl,-soname
    >> -Wl,libgiofam.so -Wl,-retain-symbols-file -Wl,.libs/libgiofam.exp -o
    >> .libs/libgiofam.so
    >> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgio-2.0
    >> gmake: *** [libgiofam.la] Error 1
    >> *** Error code 2
    >>
    >> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend.

    > Steve, what version of glib do you have installed? You may need to
    > install glib 2 ( I have glib-2.16.3 here)

    Yeah, same here.

    > before you can build the
    > gio-fam-backend-2.16.3 port. Looking at the Makefile...

    With it in mind that something might have been corrupted
    (though I don't see how with the checksums), I deleted
    /usr/ports/distfiles/gnome2/glib-2.16.3.tar.bz2 and tried
    again with a freshly downloaded glib-2.16.3.tar.bz2.
    I still get the same error.

    > I have these installed and Firefox builds with no problems.

    Strange.

  9. Re: install of gio-fam-backend fails

    Steve Ackman writes:

    > With it in mind that something might have been corrupted
    > (though I don't see how with the checksums), I deleted
    > /usr/ports/distfiles/gnome2/glib-2.16.3.tar.bz2 and tried
    > again with a freshly downloaded glib-2.16.3.tar.bz2.
    > I still get the same error.
    >
    >> I have these installed and Firefox builds with no problems.

    > Strange.

    It is indeed!

    Forgive me if this is off track - have you done a

    pkgdb -F lately? To tidy up the package database and links etc?

    atb

    Glyn

  10. Re: install of gio-fam-backend fails

    In <8663u4jpt7.fsf@nowhere.org>, on Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:59:00 +0100,
    Glyn Millington, wistanswick@linuxmail.org wrote:
    > Steve Ackman writes:
    >
    >> again with a freshly downloaded glib-2.16.3.tar.bz2.
    >> I still get the same error.
    >>
    >>> I have these installed and Firefox builds with no problems.

    >> Strange.

    > It is indeed!
    >
    > Forgive me if this is off track - have you done a
    >

    > pkgdb -F lately? To tidy up the package database and links etc?

    Within the last day or two. It gets done every time
    I do a csup.

  11. Re: install of gio-fam-backend fails

    Steve Ackman writes:

    > In <8663u4jpt7.fsf@nowhere.org>, on Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:59:00 +0100,
    > Glyn Millington, wistanswick@linuxmail.org wrote:
    >> Steve Ackman writes:
    >>
    >>> again with a freshly downloaded glib-2.16.3.tar.bz2.
    >>> I still get the same error.

    >>> Strange.

    >> It is indeed!
    >>
    >> Forgive me if this is off track - have you done a
    >>

    >> pkgdb -F lately? To tidy up the package database and links etc?

    > Within the last day or two. It gets done every time
    > I do a csup.

    Well that's my stock of sensible questions used up!!

    atb

    Glyn

  12. Re: install of gio-fam-backend fails

    Steve Ackman writes:

    > In <8663u4jpt7.fsf@nowhere.org>, on Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:59:00 +0100,
    > Glyn Millington, wistanswick@linuxmail.org wrote:
    >> Steve Ackman writes:
    >>
    >>> again with a freshly downloaded glib-2.16.3.tar.bz2.
    >>> I still get the same error.

    >>> Strange.

    >> It is indeed!
    >>
    >> Forgive me if this is off track - have you done a
    >>

    >> pkgdb -F lately? To tidy up the package database and links etc?

    > Within the last day or two. It gets done every time
    > I do a csup.

    Well, I had a rummage in the FreeBSD questions mailing lists and this
    thread looks as though it might be relevant ....

    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...ch/171986.html

    But from your description you must have already upgraded glib ?

    Worth trying that re-built again?

    atb

    Glyn

  13. [Resolved] Re: install of gio-fam-backend fails

    In <86ve24qm5c.fsf@nowhere.org>, on Sat, 26 Apr 2008 23:36:15 +0100,
    Glyn Millington, wistanswick@linuxmail.org wrote:

    > Well, I had a rummage in the FreeBSD questions mailing lists and this
    > thread looks as though it might be relevant ....
    >
    > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...ch/171986.html
    >
    > But from your description you must have already upgraded glib ?

    I hadn't given it much thought, since obviously
    it would have been upgraded as a dependency if it
    were needed. (That's my way of avoiding saying I
    *assumed* it had been done.)

    > Worth trying that re-built again?

    That did it. Thanks. gio-fam-backend built fine
    once glib2 was rebuilt, and firefox is building as I
    type.

    Near as I can tell, here's what I *think* happened.
    I had glib-2.14.2 installed, but when gio-fam-backend
    went to get portupgraded, it downloaded glib-2.16.3.tgz
    and tried to build gio-fam-backend-2.16.3 without first
    upgrading the existing glib-2.14.2.

    Since your link above would seem to indicate this has
    happened to at least two other people, it's likely a
    problem with the way the dependencies are implemented.

+ Reply to Thread