Linux->FreeBSD - BSD

This is a discussion on Linux->FreeBSD - BSD ; Looking to educate myself, I have installed FreeBSD as a dual-boot on this Linux machine, and have overcome some basic problems. Now I have a couple of questions. How do I get FreeBSD to use a "better" console, like the ...

  1. Linux->FreeBSD

    Looking to educate myself, I have installed FreeBSD as a dual-boot on
    this Linux machine, and have overcome some basic problems. Now I have
    a couple of questions.

    How do I get FreeBSD to use a "better" console, like the one one gets
    by specifying
    vga=791
    in lilo.conf.? (stll using the lilo installed through linux)

    How do I change the default shell from csh to bash?.

    Most of my remaining problems seem to be results of these two.

    --
    Greymaus

    Anything that can not kill you is a boring experience.

  2. Re: Linux->FreeBSD

    greymaus écrivait

    > Looking to educate myself, I have installed FreeBSD as a dual-boot on
    > this Linux machine, and have overcome some basic problems. Now I have
    > a couple of questions.
    >
    > How do I get FreeBSD to use a "better" console, like the one one gets
    > by specifying
    > vga=791
    > in lilo.conf.? (stll using the lilo installed through linux)

    See vidcontrol(1)

    > How do I change the default shell from csh to bash?.

    chsh(1), install bash from the ports tree.

  3. Re: Linux->FreeBSD

    On 23 Apr 2008 09:45:49 GMT, greymaus wrote:
    > Looking to educate myself, I have installed FreeBSD as a dual-boot on
    > this Linux machine, and have overcome some basic problems. Now I have
    > a couple of questions.
    >
    > How do I get FreeBSD to use a "better" console, like the one one gets
    > by specifying vga=791 in lilo.conf.? (stll using the lilo installed
    > through linux)

    FreeBSD doesn't really have *all* the fancy VESA and framebuffer console
    support Linux has. Recent FreeBSD releases have improved vastly since
    the time we had only `vidcontrol 80x30', but I usually find that it is
    easier and far far more stable to just install an X11 where I need good
    graphical UI support

    > How do I change the default shell from csh to bash?.

    The same way it's done on all UNIX systems which have a chsh(1) utility:

    (1) Install the new shell somewhere, i.e. /usr/local/bin/newshell

    (2) Make sure it's listed in /etc/shells

    (3) Run the `chsh' utility to change the default user shell.

    If you mean you want to change the shell of the *root* user to bash,
    then it's probably a good idea to read the FreeBSD FAQ:

    http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/

  4. Re: Linux->FreeBSD

    On 2008-04-23, Patrick Lamaizière wrote:
    > greymaus écrivait
    >
    >> Looking to educate myself, I have installed FreeBSD as a dual-boot on
    >> this Linux machine, and have overcome some basic problems. Now I have
    >> a couple of questions.
    >>
    >> How do I get FreeBSD to use a "better" console, like the one one gets
    >> by specifying
    >> vga=791
    >> in lilo.conf.? (stll using the lilo installed through linux)

    > See vidcontrol(1)
    >
    >> How do I change the default shell from csh to bash?.

    > chsh(1), install bash from the ports tree.

    Thanks. Should learn chsh, of course .

    --
    Greymaus

    Anything that can not kill you is a boring experience.

  5. Re: Linux->FreeBSD

    On 23 Apr 2008 14:04:37 GMT, greymaus wrote:
    >>> How do I change the default shell from csh to bash?.

    >> chsh(1), install bash from the ports tree.

    > Thanks. Should learn chsh, of course .

    Alternatively, once you get familiar with the format of the password
    file, you can just use:

    # vipw

    and manually edit the password entry of the user.

    HTH,
    Giorgos

  6. Re: Linux->FreeBSD

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:04:37 UTC, greymaus wrote:

    > On 2008-04-23, Patrick Lamaizière wrote:
    > > greymaus écrivait
    > >
    > >> Looking to educate myself, I have installed FreeBSD as a dual-boot on
    > >> this Linux machine, and have overcome some basic problems. Now I have
    > >> a couple of questions.
    > >>
    > >> How do I get FreeBSD to use a "better" console, like the one one gets
    > >> by specifying
    > >> vga=791
    > >> in lilo.conf.? (stll using the lilo installed through linux)

    > > See vidcontrol(1)
    > >
    > >> How do I change the default shell from csh to bash?.

    > > chsh(1), install bash from the ports tree.

    > Thanks. Should learn chsh, of course .

    Or just:

    pw usermod user -s /pathtoshell

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  7. Re: Linux->FreeBSD

    On 2008-04-23, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
    > On 23 Apr 2008 09:45:49 GMT, greymaus wrote:
    >> Looking to educate myself, I have installed FreeBSD as a dual-boot on
    >> this Linux machine, and have overcome some basic problems. Now I have
    >> a couple of questions.
    >>
    >> How do I get FreeBSD to use a "better" console, like the one one gets
    >> by specifying vga=791 in lilo.conf.? (stll using the lilo installed
    >> through linux)

    > FreeBSD doesn't really have *all* the fancy VESA and framebuffer console
    > support Linux has. Recent FreeBSD releases have improved vastly since
    > the time we had only `vidcontrol 80x30', but I usually find that it is
    > easier and far far more stable to just install an X11 where I need good
    > graphical UI support

    I discovered that `vidcontrol 80x30` is REALLY ugly. Better with the
    ooriginal settings.

    >> How do I change the default shell from csh to bash?.

    > The same way it's done on all UNIX systems which have a chsh(1) utility:
    >
    > (1) Install the new shell somewhere, i.e. /usr/local/bin/newshell
    >
    > (2) Make sure it's listed in /etc/shells
    >
    > (3) Run the `chsh' utility to change the default user shell.
    >
    > If you mean you want to change the shell of the *root* user to bash,
    > then it's probably a good idea to read the FreeBSD FAQ:
    >
    > http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/

    Again thanks for the info. BTW, is it supposed to be that slow,
    against Linux on the same hardware?

    --
    Greymaus

    Anything that can not kill you is a boring experience.

  8. Re: Linux->FreeBSD

    On 23 Apr 2008 18:45:45 GMT, greymaus wrote:

    >I discovered that `vidcontrol 80x30` is REALLY ugly. Better with the
    >ooriginal settings.

    On this subject, has anyone managed to get other console setiings
    other than 80x34 on a Sun Ultra5? "Vidcontrol -i mode" only gives
    me the one option, so I'm stuck with a few lines of text in the
    middle of a 19-inch screen :-(

    --
    Cheers,
    Stan Barr t-bone .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

    The future was never like this!

  9. Re: Linux->FreeBSD

    On 23 Apr 2008 18:45:45 GMT
    greymaus wrote:

    > Again thanks for the info. BTW, is it supposed to be that slow,
    > against Linux on the same hardware?

    Simple stuff at the command line should be virtually instantaneous,
    what's going slow enough to notice it as slow ?

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  10. Re: Linux->FreeBSD

    On 2008-04-28, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    > On 23 Apr 2008 18:45:45 GMT
    > greymaus wrote:
    >
    >> Again thanks for the info. BTW, is it supposed to be that slow,
    >> against Linux on the same hardware?

    > Simple stuff at the command line should be virtually instantaneous,
    > what's going slow enough to notice it as slow ?

    Fancy meeting you. I hit `A` when setting up the slices and that seems to
    be the problem, reinstalled and put everything under '/'. Great now.

    --
    Greymaus

    Anything that can not kill you is a boring experience.

  11. Re: Linux->FreeBSD

    On 29 Apr 2008 09:21:37 GMT
    greymaus wrote:

    > On 2008-04-28, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    > > On 23 Apr 2008 18:45:45 GMT
    > > greymaus wrote:
    > >
    > >> Again thanks for the info. BTW, is it supposed to be that slow,
    > >> against Linux on the same hardware?

    > > Simple stuff at the command line should be virtually
    > > instantaneous, what's going slow enough to notice it as slow ?
    > >

    > Fancy meeting you. I hit `A` when setting up the slices and that seems to

    Been using FreeBSD and hanging out here since '93.

    Anyway you know there are only 200 real people in the world

    > be the problem, reinstalled and put everything under '/'. Great now.

    Hmm that shouldn't have caused any problems, unless one of the
    slices was getting close to full (>90%) and being written to. Ah well
    problem now gone and thus impossible to diagnose.

    Enjoy FreeBSD.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  12. Re: Linux->FreeBSD

    On 2008-04-29, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    > On 29 Apr 2008 09:21:37 GMT
    > greymaus wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-28, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

    >> > Simple stuff at the command line should be virtually
    >> > instantaneous, what's going slow enough to notice it as slow ?
    >> >

    >> Fancy meeting you. I hit `A` when setting up the slices and that seems to

    > Been using FreeBSD and hanging out here since '93.
    >
    > Anyway you know there are only 200 real people in the world

    'Twas said that if you loitered in Picadilly, everyone of importance would
    pass by sometime. Probably a policeman wondering what you were doing.

    >> be the problem, reinstalled and put everything under '/'. Great now.

    > Hmm that shouldn't have caused any problems, unless one of the
    > slices was getting close to full (>90%) and being written to. Ah well
    > problem now gone and thus impossible to diagnose.

    /devs was 99%.

    > Enjoy FreeBSD.

    New view on things. No Barb.

    --
    Greymaus

    Anything that can not kill you is a boring experience.

+ Reply to Thread