Dual boot? - BSD

This is a discussion on Dual boot? - BSD ; Hi all, I have PC with two OpenBSD 4.2 - bootable harddisks. Clearly I can boot from either of them by setting a boot sequence in BIOS or by typing "boot hdXa:/bsd" in the boot prompt (X = 0 or ...

  1. Dual boot?

    Hi all,

    I have PC with two OpenBSD 4.2 - bootable harddisks. Clearly I can
    boot from either of them by setting a boot sequence in BIOS or by
    typing "boot hdXa:/bsd" in the boot prompt (X = 0 or 1).

    What I want is to specify a boot hdd without boot-time user
    intervention. Thus, imagine I run OpenBSD on hd0, I want to specify
    what hd1 shell be used as bootable on the next reboot.

    installboot(8) offers what I need, but it can't be used for cross-
    device installboots.

    If possible, I'd like to solve this without any dedicated bootloaders
    like grub. If you convince me that using bootloader is better
    alternative, I would not mind much.

    Note that run everything in VMware, so I am not afraid to screw-up
    things.

    All suggestions are welcome.

    Andrei

  2. Re: Dual boot?

    On Apr 7, 7:44 pm, Andrei Korostelev wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have PC with two OpenBSD 4.2 - bootable harddisks. Clearly I can
    > boot from either of them by setting a boot sequence in BIOS or by
    > typing "boot hdXa:/bsd" in the boot prompt (X = 0 or 1).
    >
    > What I want is to specify a boot hdd without boot-time user
    > intervention. Thus, imagine I run OpenBSD on hd0, I want to specify
    > what hd1 shell be used as bootable on the next reboot.
    >
    > installboot(8) offers what I need, but it can't be used for cross-
    > device installboots.
    >
    > If possible, I'd like to solve this without any dedicated bootloaders
    > like grub. If you convince me that using bootloader is better
    > alternative, I would not mind much.

    I'd go for grub. I'm not very experienced with installboot(8), but I
    think grub should handle this without problem. I have done this myself
    with linux and FreeBSD once, and it worked great!

    > Note that run everything in VMware, so I am not afraid to screw-up
    > things.
    >
    > All suggestions are welcome.
    >
    > Andrei

    Good luck!