sound in headphones only (FreeBSD 7.0 on Dell Latitude D830 laptop) - BSD

This is a discussion on sound in headphones only (FreeBSD 7.0 on Dell Latitude D830 laptop) - BSD ; I had added string snd_hda_load="YES" to loader.conf I'm having sound only in headphones but not in built-in speakers... How to fix it ?...

  1. sound in headphones only (FreeBSD 7.0 on Dell Latitude D830 laptop)

    I had added string
    snd_hda_load="YES"
    to loader.conf
    I'm having sound only in headphones but not in built-in speakers...
    How to fix it ?

  2. Re: sound in headphones only (FreeBSD 7.0 on Dell Latitude D830laptop)

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 06:40:38 -0700, C06akaDuka wrote:

    > I had added string
    > snd_hda_load="YES"
    > to loader.conf
    > I'm having sound only in headphones but not in built-in speakers...
    > How to fix it ?

    Does this machine use snd_hda_intel?

  3. Re: sound in headphones only (FreeBSD 7.0 on Dell Latitude D830 laptop)

    C06akaDuka wrote:
    > I had added string
    > snd_hda_load="YES"
    > to loader.conf
    > I'm having sound only in headphones but not in built-in speakers...
    > How to fix it ?

    Sounds like something is muted? Try unmuting all of the channels in the
    mixer app ur using, or something else like "preamp is turned off or
    something"

  4. Re: sound in headphones only (FreeBSD 7.0 on Dell Latitude D830 laptop)

    C06akaDuka wrote:
    > I had added string
    > snd_hda_load="YES"
    > to loader.conf
    > I'm having sound only in headphones but not in built-in speakers...
    > How to fix it ?

    Have you checkec mixer to see if any outputs are muted?

    First, check the mailing list archives for freebsd-multimedia[1], to see
    if somebody else had the same problem and fixed it.
    Next, read the man page for snd_hda, specifically the "Boot-time
    Configuration" section.
    Now you have to experiment with those gpio knobs.Most likely, setting
    one of the gpioX bits (or a combination of two) will enable the speakers.

    Success (or failure) should be reported to the -multimedia[1] mailing list.