FreeBSD 7.0 on Sun Sparc U30 - csh PS1, X stuff, ports qref, noob stuff. - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD 7.0 on Sun Sparc U30 - csh PS1, X stuff, ports qref, noob stuff. - BSD ; This is running pretty sweet on this machine. I've managed to get afterstep working reasonably well, with some things remaining to be researched. I've wandered through freebsd.org and its doc section but I'm having trouble getting traction on basic things. ...

  1. FreeBSD 7.0 on Sun Sparc U30 - csh PS1, X stuff, ports qref, noob stuff.

    This is running pretty sweet on this machine. I've managed to
    get afterstep working reasonably well, with some things remaining to
    be researched.

    I've wandered through freebsd.org and its doc section but I'm having
    trouble getting traction on basic things.

    I'm a csh idiot. How do I tell csh to make my prompt:

    (0) phreaque [root] /root_

    where "($?) `/bin/hostname -s` [$user] `pwd`" would be the working
    bits. I want hostname and pwd in the prompt, and [root] when logged
    in as root.

    I need the same thing for zsh for my user login. I had this when I
    ran zsh on Linux before, but everything I've tried here has failed.

    Can you point me at a quickstart to the ports installer stuff? I'm
    just looking to drag in a few basic helper thingies for now; no build
    world yet.

    Has anyone else tried the distributed.net client on one of these
    things? Every -switch I give the Sparc client produces a core dump.
    "dnetc -shutdown" just burps "invalid system call (core dumped)". The
    same stuff works fine on my Debian box.

    Thanks everyone.

  2. Re: FreeBSD 7.0 on Sun Sparc U30 - csh PS1, X stuff, ports qref, noob stuff.

    Begin
    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 03:59:04 +0100 (CET),
    s. keeling wrote:
    > I'm a csh idiot. How do I tell csh to make my prompt:
    >
    > (0) phreaque [root] /root_
    >
    > where "($?) `/bin/hostname -s` [$user] `pwd`" would be the working
    > bits. I want hostname and pwd in the prompt, and [root] when logged
    > in as root.

    If you'll accept having tcsh do the substitutions instead of running
    the actual commands each time it generates a prompt, the manpage detailing
    set prompt gives a pretty good overview. You'll want %/, %m, %n and %?.

    > I need the same thing for zsh for my user login. I had this when I
    > ran zsh on Linux before, but everything I've tried here has failed.

    It too comes with a manpage, I presume. Otherwise you could ask a
    newsgroup dedicated to zsh.

    > Can you point me at a quickstart to the ports installer stuff? I'm
    > just looking to drag in a few basic helper thingies for now; no build
    > world yet.

    Fetch the packages from the package repository. Packages are what you
    get when you build ports and tell ports to pack'em up for transport.
    Exactly that is what the package building team does when building
    packages for each new release.

    ``Building world'' generally refers to building the non-kernel parts of
    the base system -- this doesn't have much to do with the ports system.

    This too is detailed in the handbook.

  3. Re: FreeBSD 7.0 on Sun Sparc U30 - csh PS1, X stuff, ports qref, noob stuff.

    jpd :
    > Begin
    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 03:59:04 +0100 (CET),
    > s. keeling wrote:
    > > I'm a csh idiot. How do I tell csh to make my prompt:
    > >
    > > (0) phreaque [root] /root_
    > >
    > > where "($?) `/bin/hostname -s` [$user] `pwd`" would be the working

    > If you'll accept having tcsh do the substitutions instead of running
    > the actual commands each time it generates a prompt, the manpage detailing
    > set prompt gives a pretty good overview. You'll want %/, %m, %n and %?.

    Sigh. I was looking for PS1 when I should have been looking for prompt.
    Much better. Much appreciated and serendipitously, those work in zsh too.

  4. Re: FreeBSD 7.0 on Sun Sparc U30 - csh PS1, X stuff, ports qref, noob stuff.

    s. keeling :
    > jpd :
    > > Begin
    > > On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 03:59:04 +0100 (CET),
    > > s. keeling wrote:
    > > > I'm a csh idiot. How do I tell csh to make my prompt:
    > > >
    > > > (0) phreaque [root] /root_
    > > >
    > > > where "($?) `/bin/hostname -s` [$user] `pwd`" would be the working

    > > If you'll accept having tcsh do the substitutions instead of running
    > > the actual commands each time it generates a prompt, the manpage detailing
    > > set prompt gives a pretty good overview. You'll want %/, %m, %n and %?.

    > Sigh. I was looking for PS1 when I should have been looking for prompt.
    > Much better. Much appreciated and serendipitously, those work in zsh too.

    Does Firefox work in Sparc 64? Running it (incl. CLI) just dumps
    core. Text browsers work fine.

    I've cd'd to /usr/ports/... and make && make install with some
    success. xscreensaver dumps core but xlockmore works fine. Yay, I
    can run flame! wmaker is a much more usable wm for me, thanks for
    providing it. Where's fluxbox and gkrellm and irssi? :-)

    Fun system. From a Debianista to *BSDers, what're equivalents:

    - dpkg -l | grep blah

    - aptitude search gkrell

    - aptitude update && aptitude upgrade && aptitude dist-upgrade

    - aptitude remove blah

    - reportbug

    I know I can cd /usr/ports and run find, but are there better ways,
    especially when blah doesn't appear to be there? Freshmeat ...

    Appreciate the help.