wish list Boinc client in port or pkg - BSD

This is a discussion on wish list Boinc client in port or pkg - BSD ; I admit I am not a coder. At one time you could download the pkg and install the Seti@home and run it. Now you have to compile and a lot of other stuff just to get the client to run ...

  1. wish list Boinc client in port or pkg

    I admit I am not a coder. At one time you could download the pkg and
    install the Seti@home and run it. Now you have to compile and a lot of
    other stuff just to get the client to run and I have yet to figure it out.
    It woud be great for people like me to have a pkg or port to compile and
    configure the Boinc client program. I have several OpenBSD severs that just
    sit idle 18 hours a day and 24 hours on weekends.

    thanks

    DRX

  2. Re: wish list Boinc client in port or pkg

    never@found.can wrote:
    > I admit I am not a coder. At one time you could download the pkg and
    > install the Seti@home and run it. Now you have to compile and a lot of
    > other stuff just to get the client to run and I have yet to figure it out.
    > It woud be great for people like me to have a pkg or port to compile and
    > configure the Boinc client program. I have several OpenBSD severs that just
    > sit idle 18 hours a day and 24 hours on weekends.

    At one time the easiest thing to do was to run the Linux version of the
    software in emulation mode. I did this for years. Now I want my boxes
    to be as idle as possible and perhaps use less electricity, so I turfed it.
    --
    clvrmnky

    Direct replies to this address will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap"
    with my name to contact me directly.

  3. Re: wish list Boinc client in port or pkg

    Clever Monkey wrote in

    > never@found.can wrote:
    >> I admit I am not a coder. At one time you could download the pkg and
    >> install the Seti@home and run it. Now you have to compile and a lot
    >> of other stuff just to get the client to run and I have yet to figure
    >> it out. It woud be great for people like me to have a pkg or port to
    >> compile and configure the Boinc client program. I have several
    >> OpenBSD severs that just sit idle 18 hours a day and 24 hours on
    >> weekends.
    >>

    > At one time the easiest thing to do was to run the Linux version of
    > the software in emulation mode. I did this for years. Now I want my
    > boxes to be as idle as possible and perhaps use less electricity, so I
    > turfed it.

    Thanks I will research on running in emu mode. Do have any links for good
    reading for this?

    DRX

  4. Re: wish list Boinc client in port or pkg

    never@found.can wrote:
    > Clever Monkey wrote in
    >
    >> never@found.can wrote:
    >>> I admit I am not a coder. At one time you could download the pkg and
    >>> install the Seti@home and run it. Now you have to compile and a lot
    >>> of other stuff just to get the client to run and I have yet to figure
    >>> it out. It woud be great for people like me to have a pkg or port to
    >>> compile and configure the Boinc client program. I have several
    >>> OpenBSD severs that just sit idle 18 hours a day and 24 hours on
    >>> weekends.
    >>>

    >> At one time the easiest thing to do was to run the Linux version of
    >> the software in emulation mode. I did this for years. Now I want my
    >> boxes to be as idle as possible and perhaps use less electricity, so I
    >> turfed it.

    > Thanks I will research on running in emu mode. Do have any links for good
    > reading for this?

    In all seriousness, I just read the package docs for the Linux emul
    stuff, and the man page for emulation modes. You might have to tweak
    sysconfig to enable Linux emulation as well, but this is documented in
    the man page.
    --
    clvrmnky

    Direct replies to this address will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap"
    with my name to contact me directly.

  5. Re: wish list Boinc client in port or pkg

    never@found.can wrote:
    > I admit I am not a coder. At one time you could download the pkg and
    > install the Seti@home and run it. Now you have to compile and a lot of
    > other stuff just to get the client to run and I have yet to figure it out.
    > It woud be great for people like me to have a pkg or port to compile and
    > configure the Boinc client program. I have several OpenBSD severs that just
    > sit idle 18 hours a day and 24 hours on weekends.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > DRX

    I had no problems compiling boinc and the setiathome enhanced client on
    OpenBSD. I pinched the source code archive from freebsd's ports
    (/usr/ports/astro/boinc-setiathome-enhanced) and compiled it under
    OpenBSD and it worked.

    wget:

    ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...ed-5.27.tar.gz

    Some pointers:
    * Install fftw3-float (build it from ports or pkg_add it)
    * Make sure curl is installed.

    * Get the latest boinc client from Berkeley edu, dont use old versions,
    and compile it.

    * Don't build with GCC3. I kept getting segfaults on openbsd, some of
    the code in boinc which benchmarks the machine was written for GCC4. As
    soon as I built with gcc4, all problems disappeared (I had a discussion
    about this with the developers in their mailing lists)

    * Use the anonymous platform mechanism so you dont have to run crappy
    emulation mode and it means you can use platforms that arnt officially
    supported by their server.

    * boinc spawns a copy of the enhanced client to complete a work unit,
    you'll need to have your appinfo.xml setup correctly, if you look around
    for the seti anonymous platform on google you will see how this is done.

    * the boinc client supports throttling, so u can set it up to use x% of CPU.

  6. Re: wish list Boinc client in port or pkg

    In addition to what I said, if you go the linux binary emulation way,
    you wont need to get the enhanced client, as once the server see's
    (thinks) you are using linux, it will allow your boinc client to
    download a precompiled version of the linux setiathome client.

    Some things to consider.

    Emulation is always slower than native code, since seti is a math
    intensive application, if you want optimal performance, don't go the
    linux emu way.

    Anonymous platform is a lot more work to setup, but I think its worth it.

    Hope this helps u decide.

    Alex

  7. Re: wish list Boinc client in port or pkg

    > Emulation is always slower than native code, since seti is a math
    > intensive application, if you want optimal performance, don't go the
    > linux emu way.

    It is syscall emulation and maths stuff will require very few syscalls
    so I would be surprised if you saw any performance difference.

    -- Nicholas

  8. Re: wish list Boinc client in port or pkg

    nicholas.marriott@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Emulation is always slower than native code, since seti is a math
    >> intensive application, if you want optimal performance, don't go the
    >> linux emu way.

    > It is syscall emulation and maths stuff will require very few syscalls
    > so I would be surprised if you saw any performance difference.

    I was unable to compare, but on a little box running SAH via emul mode,
    I recall I could complete a work unit in 2-4 days (tops). Not super
    fast, of course, but not bad considering I also reniced the process.
    --
    clvrmnky

    Direct replies to this address will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap"
    with my name to contact me directly.

+ Reply to Thread