buildworld on small HD - BSD

This is a discussion on buildworld on small HD - BSD ; If one only has a limited amount of HD space on one's computer but lots of space on other servers in the LAN how would one make a symlink to these other drives to do a make buildworld? should I ...

  1. buildworld on small HD

    If one only has a limited amount of HD space on one's computer but lots of
    space on other servers in the LAN how would one make a symlink to these
    other drives to do a make buildworld?

    should I symlink /usr/obj or /usr/src to the other nfs drive?

  2. Re: buildworld on small HD

    Vladimir Tserijemiwtz wrote:

    > If one only has a limited amount of HD space on one's computer but lots of
    > space on other servers in the LAN how would one make a symlink to these
    > other drives to do a make buildworld?
    >
    > should I symlink /usr/obj or /usr/src to the other nfs drive?

    Yes, you may want to do both.
    Have the nfs drive mounted, copy (or place) your /usr/src and /usr/obj
    there, and symlink /usr/src and /usr/obj to that place.

    However, you can actually do the build for this small-hd system on one of
    the bigger-hd systems. See the handbook, chapter 23.5.
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...small-lan.html

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  3. Re: buildworld on small HD

    Vladimir Tserijemiwtz wrote:
    > If one only has a limited amount of HD space on one's computer but lots of
    > space on other servers in the LAN how would one make a symlink to these
    > other drives to do a make buildworld?
    >
    > should I symlink /usr/obj or /usr/src to the other nfs drive?

    either is ok. there will be lots of I/O activity to the /usr/obj dir
    though.

    If you can, mounting a ramdisk as /usr/obj is fun, and makes compiles fly
    by really fast.

  4. Re: buildworld on small HD

    "Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
    > Vladimir Tserijemiwtz wrote:
    >> If one only has a limited amount of HD space on one's computer but lots
    >> of
    >> space on other servers in the LAN how would one make a symlink to these
    >> other drives to do a make buildworld?
    >>
    >> should I symlink /usr/obj or /usr/src to the other nfs drive?

    > either is ok. there will be lots of I/O activity to the /usr/obj dir
    > though.
    >
    > If you can, mounting a ramdisk as /usr/obj is fun, and makes compiles fly
    > by really fast.

    Sounds like a great idea. Any pointers on where I can find out how to create
    and mount a ram disk? I'm new to this subject.

  5. Re: buildworld on small HD

    "Vladimir Tserijemiwtz" wrote in message
    news:8YSdnW5xdpNAQkjanZ2dnUVZ_sGvnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > If one only has a limited amount of HD space on one's computer but lots of
    > space on other servers in the LAN how would one make a symlink to these
    > other drives to do a make buildworld?
    >
    > should I symlink /usr/obj or /usr/src to the other nfs drive?

    Okay, I only have 364MB RAM and an 862MB swap...what is the largest RAM disk
    I could set up using mdmfs? Will this be sufficient to do a make buildworld?

  6. Re: buildworld on small HD

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:07:03 -0400, "Vladimir Tserijemiwtz" wrote:
    > "Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
    >> Vladimir Tserijemiwtz wrote:
    >>> If one only has a limited amount of HD space on one's computer but
    >>> lots of space on other servers in the LAN how would one make a
    >>> symlink to these other drives to do a make buildworld?
    >>>
    >>> should I symlink /usr/obj or /usr/src to the other nfs drive?

    >> either is ok. there will be lots of I/O activity to the /usr/obj dir
    >> though.
    >>
    >> If you can, mounting a ramdisk as /usr/obj is fun, and makes compiles fly
    >> by really fast.

    > Sounds like a great idea. Any pointers on where I can find out how to create
    > and mount a ram disk? I'm new to this subject.

    You can use mdconfig(8) to configure a ramdisk, then partition and mount
    it manually. You should use `malloc-backed' disks for this sort of
    thing, i.e.:

    # mdconfig -a -t malloc -s 3000m # Create a 3000 MB ramdisk

    This should print the mdXXX node you just created.

    Then you have to fdisk, bsdlabel and newfs the /dev/mdXXX device.

    Alternatively, you can use mdmfs(8) to create a ramdisk *and* a new
    filesystem *and* mount it, using:

    # mdmfs -M -s 3000m md /usr/obj

    The manpage of mdmfs(8) includes more examples, and a full list of the
    options supported.

    HTH,
    Giorgos

  7. Re: buildworld on small HD

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:18:52 -0400, "Vladimir Tserijemiwtz" wrote:
    > "Vladimir Tserijemiwtz" wrote in message
    > news:8YSdnW5xdpNAQkjanZ2dnUVZ_sGvnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> If one only has a limited amount of HD space on one's computer but
    >> lots of space on other servers in the LAN how would one make a
    >> symlink to these other drives to do a make buildworld?
    >>
    >> should I symlink /usr/obj or /usr/src to the other nfs drive?

    > Okay, I only have 364MB RAM and an 862MB swap...what is the largest
    > RAM disk I could set up using mdmfs? Will this be sufficient to do a
    > make buildworld?

    Probably not. My full /usr/obj is more than 2 GB here. But I just
    finished building a userland with debug symbols :/

  8. Re: buildworld on small HD

    > Okay, I only have 364MB RAM and an 862MB swap...what is the largest RAM
    > disk I could set up using mdmfs? Will this be sufficient to do a make
    > buildworld?

    My old PII/366 laptop with 256MB memory and another 256MB swap space can
    build world just fine. It takes some 5 hours though.
    So your 364MB memory and 862MB swap is enought to build world. The question
    is, how much disk space you have for the filesystem. That, you may not have
    enough.
    Unfortunatelly, with the 364MB memory you shouldn't think about creating a
    ramdisk.

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  9. Re: buildworld on small HD

    "Vladimir Tserijemiwtz" wrote in message
    news:8YSdnW5xdpNAQkjanZ2dnUVZ_sGvnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > If one only has a limited amount of HD space on one's computer but lots of
    > space on other servers in the LAN how would one make a symlink to these
    > other drives to do a make buildworld?
    >
    > should I symlink /usr/obj or /usr/src to the other nfs drive?

    This is why it's just as easy to hate FreeBSD as it is to love it. Sometimes
    the docs absolutely suck. Why the authors continue to describe steps 1,2 & 3
    but then completely skip over step2 4 &5 and then going to steps 6. 7 & 8.

    I read the docs in the handbook on Tracking Multiple Machines, particularly
    section 23.5.2. It says, and I'm quoting here:

    After the build has finished, go to the test machine, and install the kernel
    you just built.

    This is leaving out so much vital information. For example, installing the
    kernel means doing something with chflags which is not easy to find and it
    doesn't tell you where to place the kernel...etc.

    Again my biggest complaint is the incomplete docs that usually only need an
    extra sentence or two to clarify them for novice and newbies. Of course the
    techs in the chat room will just tell you to RTFM but as you can see, this
    doesn't help much.

  10. Re: buildworld on small HD

    Vladimir Tserijemwtz wrote:

    > "Vladimir Tserijemiwtz" wrote in message
    > news:8YSdnW5xdpNAQkjanZ2dnUVZ_sGvnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> If one only has a limited amount of HD space on one's computer but lots of
    >> space on other servers in the LAN how would one make a symlink to these
    >> other drives to do a make buildworld?
    >>
    >> should I symlink /usr/obj or /usr/src to the other nfs drive?
    >>

    > This is why it's just as easy to hate FreeBSD as it is to love it. Sometimes
    > the docs absolutely suck. Why the authors continue to describe steps 1,2 & 3
    > but then completely skip over step2 4 &5 and then going to steps 6. 7 & 8.

    This should go well. Do you think that's a good way to ask for help?

    > I read the docs in the handbook on Tracking Multiple Machines, particularly
    > section 23.5.2. It says, and I'm quoting here:
    >
    > After the build has finished, go to the test machine, and install the kernel
    > you just built.

    In the sentence before that, it says to see 23.4.7.2. Start reading
    there, and eventually you'll see 23.4.8, "Compile And Install A New
    Kernel".

    > This is leaving out so much vital information. For example, installing the
    > kernel means doing something with chflags which is not easy to find and it
    > doesn't tell you where to place the kernel...etc.

    Looks like it'd just be 'make installkernel' to me.

    > Again my biggest complaint is the incomplete docs that usually only need an
    > extra sentence or two to clarify them for novice and newbies.

    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."

    > Of course the techs in the chat room will just tell you to RTFM but as
    > you can see, this doesn't help much.

    It sounds like you may be missing details in a hurry to accomplish an
    objective.

    It's impossible, or at least very inefficient, to document everything
    with a keyhole view. In this case, it looks like the author takes it as
    given that you're familiar with the earlier parts of the chapter and
    then builds on it.

  11. Re: buildworld on small HD

    Begin
    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:14:03 -0400, Vladimir Tserijemwtz wrote:
    > Again my biggest complaint is the incomplete docs that usually only need an
    > extra sentence or two to clarify them for novice and newbies. Of course the
    > techs in the chat room will just tell you to RTFM but as you can see, this
    > doesn't help much.

    As you found out, writing good documentation that is informative for
    advanced users and gets novices up to speed quickly is not easy. In
    fact, it's hard work, just about as much as writing the software.

    Go on. Try if you can come up with better documentation. If it turns
    out you can, you're more than welcome to submit a PR with patches to
    the handbook, or even entire new articles. You don't have to be a mere
    consumer here; you could be part of the solution too.