I tried to unmount /var on a quiet server but forgot that applications
like syslog and sendmail will still have open handles. The reason was
that I wanted to flush all cached buffers associated with that slice,
in order to have a consistent start point for a series of performance
tests. It seems to have flushed them anyway as the HD was thrashing
around for some time before umount complained that the device was
busy. Does anyone know for sure? The only other way I can think of to
get the cache back into an empty state is a reboot. Thanks in advance.