Thank you! And another question... :( - BSD

This is a discussion on Thank you! And another question... :( - BSD ; First, Thanks to all who've provided help in my sporadic effort to install freeBSD 6.2 on my T60 lenovo thinkpad. I'm mostly up and running; just some configuration left to do. The question is about getting the wireless to work. ...

  1. Thank you! And another question... :(

    First, Thanks to all who've provided help in my sporadic effort to
    install freeBSD 6.2 on my T60 lenovo thinkpad. I'm mostly up and
    running; just some configuration left to do.

    The question is about getting the wireless to work. If I've
    managed to use the WXP stuff properly to learn what the wireless
    hardware is (I'm not a microsoft person). the wireless hardware is:

    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    But if I grep dmesg for Intel, here's all I get (lightly formatted
    for readability):

    PC% dmesg | grep Intel
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz
    (1661.96-MHz 686-class CPU)
    Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0x6f2 Stepping = 2
    em0:
    port 0x3000-0x301f mem 0xee000000-0xee01ffff irq 16 at
    device 0.0 on pci2
    uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    uhub1: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    uhub2: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    uhub3: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    ehci0: mem
    0xee404000-0xee4043ff irq 19 at device 29.7 on pci0
    usb4: on ehci0
    uhub4: Intel EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1
    atapci0: port 0x1f0-0x1f7,
    0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0x1880-0x188f at device 31.1 on pci0
    atapci1: port 0x18c8-0x18cf,
    0x18ac-0x18af,0x18c0-0x18c7,0x18a8-0x18ab,0x18b0-0x18bf
    mem 0xee404400-0xee4047ff irq 16 at device 31.2 on pci0
    PC%

    Nothing at all about either wireless or 3945ABG.

    Does 6.2 not recognize that interface? Am I out of luck for
    wireless? "Running man -k wireless" suggests so:

    Here are the results, also formatted lightly for readability:

    an(4) - Aironet Communications 4500/4800 wireless
    network adapter driver
    arl(4) - Aironet Arlan 655 wireless network
    adapter driver
    ath(4) - Atheros IEEE 802.11 wireless network
    driver
    awi(4) - AMD PCnetMobile IEEE 802.11 PCMCIA
    wireless network driver
    cnw(4) - Netwave AirSurfer wireless network
    driver
    ipw(4) - Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 IEEE 802.11
    driver
    iwi(4) - Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG/2225BG/2915ABG
    IEEE 802.11 driver
    wicontrol(8) - configure Lucent, Intersil, and Atheros
    wireless devices
    wpa_supplicant(8) - WPA/802.11i Supplicant for wireless
    network devices
    ~

    Is there nothing I can do to use the built-in wireless?

    Oh -- I lied; make that two questions.

    In past I've managed to find a way to swap the control and the
    capslock keys under X but that was XFree86, not X.org. I may just
    be overlooking something but trying to use the keymap that has
    worked in the past seems not to with this system. Per some man
    page or another, I saw that I should define an environment variable
    to point to the modified keymap file:

    setenv XKEYSYMDB $HOME/mykeymap

    but using the file transferred from my fBSD 4.11/XF86 4.4 system,
    scrambled things -- but it was late when I tried that so I may
    simply have munged something else at the time.

    So my question is simply, should the X.org stuff work with the
    keymap file that I've used for many years with many different
    versions of XF86? The problem is that, because it *has* worked
    flawlessly since first I tried many years ago, I don't remember
    what all I did. Any pointers to where I should look for that
    information will also be appreciated.

    Thanks once again for any help.
    --
    Charlie Sorsby
    crs@swcp.com

  2. Re: Thank you! And another question... :(

    Charlie Sorsby wrote:
    > Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

    You need the wpi[1] driver for that.

    > Nothing at all about either wireless or 3945ABG.

    No, because the wpi driver is a work in progress, and is not in FreeBSD
    6.2 (it is in RELENG_7 as of 20071208). You will need to download and
    compile this driver yourself. See the driver web page for more instructions.
    Warning - I'm not sure this driver works on FreeBSD 6.x - I have not
    tested it.

    > Is there nothing I can do to use the built-in wireless?

    Last resort - try ndis(4). 'man ndis' for more info.