Disk geom and freeBSD 6.2 on lenovoe T60 thinkpad laptop - BSD

This is a discussion on Disk geom and freeBSD 6.2 on lenovoe T60 thinkpad laptop - BSD ; Hello, I enquired about this before but then (unrelated) things came up and I had to put the installation on the back burner for a while. I'm only now returning to it. Here are the notes that I made when ...

  1. Disk geom and freeBSD 6.2 on lenovoe T60 thinkpad laptop

    Hello,

    I enquired about this before but then (unrelated) things came up
    and I had to put the installation on the back burner for a while.
    I'm only now returning to it.

    Here are the notes that I made when I booted from the distribution
    CD (from freeBSD mall as I recall); the notes are between the lines
    of "#" characters:

    ######################

    Sunday, 27 Jan, 2008 -- 12:35:32 MST

    Well, this is my second attempt to install freeBSD 6.2 on the
    Lenovo T60 ThinkPad laptop.

    Before the earlier attempt, I had used PartitionMagic to shrink the
    Windows XP slice and make room for freeBSD.

    When I, later, tried to install from the distribution CD, the
    installer complained about the disk geometry. I didn't copy the
    complaint down at that time so I'm going to try again and *try* to
    enter all error messages into this file.

    Booting from the CD:

    Country/region/group menu appears; selecting United States.

    At the sysinstall Main Menu which appeared next, I am selecting the
    Standard installation.

    Next is the fdisk message. Accepting the "OK" (the only choice)
    takes me to another Message:

    Message
    WARNING: A geometry of 232581/16/63 for ad4 is
    incorrect. Using a more likely geometry. If this
    geometry is incorrect or you are unsure as to whether
    or not it's correct, please consult the Hardware Guide
    in the Documentation sub menu or use the (G)eometery
    command to change it now.

    Remember: you need to enter whatever your BIOS thinks
    the geometry is! For IDE, it's what you were told
    in the BIOS setup. For SCSI, it's the translation
    mode your controller is using. Do NOT use a ``physical
    geometry''.

    Last time, I tried going to the BIOS setup screens but there was
    *nothing* about the disk geometry. I called Lenovo and their tech
    support guy didn't know what I was talking about. He ended up
    telling me that that's information that the hardware engineers know
    about and not available -- or something to that effect.

    Accepting the "OK" (again the only choice), I am taken to the FDISK
    Partition Editor where it says:

    Disk name: ad4 FDISK Partition Editor
    DISK Geometery: 14593 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 234436545 sectors (114470MB)

    Offset Size(ST) End Name PType Desc Subtype Flags
    0 63 62 - 12 unused 0
    63 92156337 92156399 ad4s1 4 NTFS/HPFS/QNX 7
    92156400 9646560 101802959 ad4s2 4 Compaq Diagnostic 18
    101802960 132638688 234441647 - 12 unused 0

    [Followed by the command summary.]

    *I* certainly don't know whether what sysinstall thinks the
    geometry should be is correct or not.

    Because I have no bloody idea what the disk geometry is, I'm afraid
    to continue. I don't recall ever having had such comments/complaints
    in past when installing earlier versions of freeBSD on desktop systems
    such as the one I'm typing this on which is running freeBSD 4.11.

    Maybe in past, fdisk just guessed and didn't bother to say so?

    ######################

    So, should I just continue the process using the geometry that
    sysinstall "guesses" or will that cause problems? If the latter,
    how can I learn the proper geometry to use? I couldn't find
    anything in the BIOS configuration to tell me and, as I comment in
    the notes above, lenovo's tech support were useless.

    Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

    --
    Charlie Sorsby
    crs@swcp.com

  2. Re: Disk geom and freeBSD 6.2 on lenovoe T60 thinkpad laptop

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:40:05 -0600, Charlie Sorsby wrote:

    > Because I have no bloody idea what the disk geometry is, I'm afraid to
    > continue. I don't recall ever having had such comments/complaints in
    > past when installing earlier versions of freeBSD on desktop systems such
    > as the one I'm typing this on which is running freeBSD 4.11.
    >
    > Maybe in past, fdisk just guessed and didn't bother to say so?

    I have seen this message on about every FreeBSD installation I ever made,
    and generally just accepted what sysinstall suggested.

    It always worked: Install XP, install FreeBSD, have a working dual boot
    system.

    Until about 2 hours ago I never had any problems with it, then, trying to
    add 7.0 to my XP system, I blew my partition table. I am lucky, I can
    still access my data.
    The windows installation still boots, but doesn't run anymore, because
    all drive mappings are changed.

    Be sure to have a backup, and go ahead :-)

    Michael

  3. Re: Disk geom and freeBSD 6.2 on lenovoe T60 thinkpad laptop

    Charlie Sorsby wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I enquired about this before but then (unrelated) things came up
    > and I had to put the installation on the back burner for a while.
    > I'm only now returning to it.
    >
    > Here are the notes that I made when I booted from the distribution
    > CD (from freeBSD mall as I recall); the notes are between the lines
    > of "#" characters:
    >
    > ######################
    >
    > Sunday, 27 Jan, 2008 -- 12:35:32 MST
    >
    > Well, this is my second attempt to install freeBSD 6.2 on the
    > Lenovo T60 ThinkPad laptop.

    Don't have one of these myself.

    > Before the earlier attempt, I had used PartitionMagic to shrink the
    > Windows XP slice and make room for freeBSD.

    Ughhh! Partition Magic is truly evil! It does non standard things. I quit
    using it years ago.

    > When I, later, tried to install from the distribution CD, the
    > installer complained about the disk geometry. I didn't copy the
    > complaint down at that time so I'm going to try again and *try* to
    > enter all error messages into this file.
    >
    > Booting from the CD:
    >
    > Country/region/group menu appears; selecting United States.
    >
    > At the sysinstall Main Menu which appeared next, I am selecting the
    > Standard installation.
    >
    > Next is the fdisk message. Accepting the "OK" (the only choice)
    > takes me to another Message:

    This is not an fdisk message, this is an error from sysinstall:

    > Message
    > WARNING: A geometry of 232581/16/63 for ad4 is

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This looks like CHS geometry.

    > incorrect. Using a more likely geometry. If this
    > geometry is incorrect or you are unsure as to whether
    > or not it's correct, please consult the Hardware Guide
    > in the Documentation sub menu or use the (G)eometery
    > command to change it now.
    >
    > Remember: you need to enter whatever your BIOS thinks
    > the geometry is! For IDE, it's what you were told
    > in the BIOS setup. For SCSI, it's the translation
    > mode your controller is using. Do NOT use a ``physical
    > geometry''.

    If this is the message that pops up in sysinstall immediately prior to
    launching fdisk, it is generally safe to ignore it. I just did an install
    of 7.0 RC1 and when I set the BIOS manually to LBA (it was coming up CHS on
    its own) I still saw this message, even though the LBA translation matched
    exactly what fdisk subsequently reported. There is something wrong with
    sysinstall.

    There is a difference between what sysinstall reports and what fdisk
    reports. Even when you *know* the BIOS is providing an LBA translation that
    _exactly_ matches what fdisk reports you will still see this error from
    sysinstall.

    > Last time, I tried going to the BIOS setup screens but there was
    > *nothing* about the disk geometry. I called Lenovo and their tech
    > support guy didn't know what I was talking about. He ended up
    > telling me that that's information that the hardware engineers know
    > about and not available -- or something to that effect.

    Again - I don't know this laptop. But generally there is a BIOS page that
    lists drives and you can cursor up and down to select different drives by
    pressing return on a highlighted entry. Usually, the next screen will
    show "Auto" something or other and if you highlight "Auto" and press return
    you can get to a screen where you can usually choose from one of three
    translations manually. What fdisk is expecting to see is "LBA".

    > Accepting the "OK" (again the only choice), I am taken to the FDISK
    > Partition Editor where it says:
    >
    > Disk name: ad4 FDISK Partition Editor
    > DISK Geometery: 14593 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 234436545 sectors

    (114470MB) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This does look like an LBA geometry, which is what you want.
    Notice that it is different from what sysinstall thinks.

    > Offset Size(ST) End Name PType Desc Subtype Flags
    > 0 63 62 - 12 unused 0
    > 63 92156337 92156399 ad4s1 4 NTFS/HPFS/QNX 7
    > 92156400 9646560 101802959 ad4s2 4 Compaq Diagnostic 18
    > 101802960 132638688 234441647 - 12 unused 0
    >
    > [Followed by the command summary.]
    >
    > *I* certainly don't know whether what sysinstall thinks the
    > geometry should be is correct or not.

    Sysinstall most likely has it wrong. My bet here is fdisk has it right.

    > Because I have no bloody idea what the disk geometry is, I'm afraid
    > to continue. I don't recall ever having had such comments/complaints
    > in past when installing earlier versions of freeBSD on desktop systems
    > such as the one I'm typing this on which is running freeBSD 4.11.

    If you wish to continue you don't have any choice. The drive has already
    been setup by Partition Magic and the other operating system. Since it
    looks like fdisk is seeing LBA you can probably ignore sysinstall.

    BUT!!!!! You should prepare a recovery plan in advance. BACK UP anything you
    do not want to lose! While you may not have any choice if you do wish to
    proceed, you just may wind up with a system that needs to be totally
    reinstalled from the ground up. Prepare for the possibility, and if you are
    not prepared don't take the chance if anything on that drive is important
    to you.

    If the partition table on the drive is standard then fdisk is only going to
    add a few bytes to it. If Partition Magic has garbaged it then when fdisk
    writes into it it will be hosed at that point. I have seen Partition Magic
    do this before. It's why I won't use it.

    > So, should I just continue the process using the geometry that
    > sysinstall "guesses" or will that cause problems? If the latter,
    > how can I learn the proper geometry to use? I couldn't find
    > anything in the BIOS configuration to tell me and, as I comment in
    > the notes above, lenovo's tech support were useless.

    Most "tech support" for retail markets is advertising. "Useless" is a sheer
    understatement.

    > Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

    Don't know what help any of this may have been. My bet is you can ignore the
    sysinstall error like so many of us do, use whatever geometry comes up in
    fdisk, and the install should be OK. The real monkey wrench here is
    Partition Magic. Like I said before: If you're not ready to lose data then
    don't get caught with your pants down. If you are prepared to recover lost
    data then give it a go. Caveat Emptor: YMMV!

    -Jason

  4. Re: Disk geom and freeBSD 6.2 on lenovoe T60 thinkpad laptop

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 01:04:42 GMT,
    Jason Bourne wrote:
    > Charlie Sorsby wrote:
    >> Before the earlier attempt, I had used PartitionMagic to shrink the
    >> Windows XP slice and make room for freeBSD.

    > Ughhh! Partition Magic is truly evil! It does non standard things. I quit
    > using it years ago.

    Doesn't have to be partition magic that's at fault here. ISTR *windows*
    putting in geometry info right behind the actual start of the slice, and
    treating that as more authoritative than the table in the MBR.

    The fix was to just dd over the first one or two sectors right behind
    the one starting the slice.

  5. Re: Disk geom and freeBSD 6.2 on lenovoe T60 thinkpad laptop

    jpd wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 01:04:42 GMT,
    > Jason Bourne wrote:
    >> Charlie Sorsby wrote:
    >>> Before the earlier attempt, I had used PartitionMagic to shrink the
    >>> Windows XP slice and make room for freeBSD.

    >> Ughhh! Partition Magic is truly evil! It does non standard things. I quit
    >> using it years ago.

    > Doesn't have to be partition magic that's at fault here. ISTR *windows*
    > putting in geometry info right behind the actual start of the slice, and
    > treating that as more authoritative than the table in the MBR.
    >
    > The fix was to just dd over the first one or two sectors right behind
    > the one starting the slice.

    This is true. P.M. is a Windows app. As long as everything is Windows
    centric everything works fine, because they're both "non-standard" in the
    same way. Where things go wrong is when you mix in non-Windows operating
    systems that are not deviant in the same manner.

    -Jason

  6. Re: Disk geom and freeBSD 6.2 on lenovoe T60 thinkpad laptop

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:40:05 -0600, Charlie Sorsby wrote:

    > Well, this is my second attempt to install freeBSD 6.2 on the Lenovo T60
    > ThinkPad laptop.
    >
    > Before the earlier attempt, I had used PartitionMagic to shrink the

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    There's your problem, right there.

    > Windows XP slice and make room for freeBSD.

    The gparted liveCD is free and works well, and understands non-windows
    setups.

  7. Re: Disk geom and freeBSD 6.2 on lenovoe T60 thinkpad laptop

    Jason Bourne wrote:
    > Charlie Sorsby wrote:
    >
    >> Well, this is my second attempt to install freeBSD 6.2 on the
    >> Lenovo T60 ThinkPad laptop.

    > Don't have one of these myself.

    I do have a T61, but no FreeBSD on it (yet...).

    >> Last time, I tried going to the BIOS setup screens but there was
    >> *nothing* about the disk geometry. ...

    > Again - I don't know this laptop. But generally there is a BIOS page that
    > lists drives and you can cursor up and down to select different drives by
    > pressing return on a highlighted entry. Usually, the next screen will
    > show "Auto" something or other and if you highlight "Auto" and press return
    > you can get to a screen where you can usually choose from one of three
    > translations manually. What fdisk is expecting to see is "LBA".

    He seems to be right, can't find that screen either.
    I'm pretty sure I'd recognize it if it had been there.

    If everything else fails - have a look at the drive
    itself. That's easy, just one little screw. The label
    on my Seagate drive shows both LBA and CHS.
    Yes, I do mean the Real Life (tm) label ;-)

    HTH,
    Rainer

  8. Re: Disk geom and freeBSD 6.2 on lenovoe T60 thinkpad laptop

    In article <60765uF1pl538U1@mid.uni-berlin.de>,
    Michael Ross wrote:
    = On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:40:05 -0600, Charlie Sorsby wrote:
    =
    =
    = >
[...]

    Thank you!

    I guess I simply had forgotten that earlier installations on always
    desktop systems had also made that complaint and that I was braver
    ( or more foolhardy in those instances. This is my first
    attempt with a laptop so I guess I was more cautious...

    Anyway, your words gave me hope and I went ahead with the
    installation which proceeded uneventfully. Now to get everything
    configured, etc.

    So far, everything is working fine.

    Unable to find anything in the distributed "handbook" about
    installing an USB printer -- as y'all probably well know, laptops
    have long stopped coming with serial and parallel ports -- I just
    made my desktop the remote print server for it, uncommented the
    part of the sample /etc/printcap for remote printing, and replaced
    the various parts that needed change. That's working although I'd
    like to be able to configure USB printing for when I'm visiting
    family and want to print something. I've a month or so to figure
    that out.

    A more important problem (that I describe in a separate post) is
    that I haven't been able so far to get wireless working. I'm
    hoping for comments to that post. There's another question in that
    post but I've figured that one out; guess I was having a brain
    meltdown when I wrote it.

    The other thing is that closing the lid doesn't put the system to
    sleep. I tried using zzz but then couldn't figure out how to get
    the system back up and had to power-cycle it. As you can see, I
    know *nothing* about this power management stuff...

    Thanks once again for all previous help! There's a light at the
    end of the tunnel now.

    --
    Charlie Sorsby
    crs@swcp.com

  9. Re: Disk geom and freeBSD 6.2 on lenovoe T60 thinkpad laptop

    In article <479ed37a$1_5@news.bluewin.ch>,
    Mark South wrote:
    = On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:40:05 -0600, Charlie Sorsby wrote:
    =
    = > Well, this is my second attempt to install freeBSD 6.2 on the Lenovo T60
    = > ThinkPad laptop.
    = >
    = > Before the earlier attempt, I had used PartitionMagic to shrink the
    = ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    =
    = There's your problem, right there.
    =
    = > Windows XP slice and make room for freeBSD.
    =
    = The gparted liveCD is free and works well, and understands non-windows
    = setups.

    Sure wish that I'd known that before I bought and used partition
    magic! But thanks -- I'll try to remember for any possible future
    use.

    --
    Charlie Sorsby
    crs@swcp.com