remote printing lpr to CUPS? - BSD

This is a discussion on remote printing lpr to CUPS? - BSD ; I have a home network with two machines running FreeBSD and one running Windows Vista. FreeBSD#1 has a printer connected to it via parallel port which I would like to be able to be used from the other two machines. ...

  1. remote printing lpr to CUPS?

    I have a home network with two machines running FreeBSD and one running
    Windows Vista. FreeBSD#1 has a printer connected to it via parallel port
    which I would like to be able to be used from the other two machines.
    In order to get the Windows machine to print via FreeBSD, I installed
    CUPS and Samba on the machine, but now FreeBSD#2 (running lpd) is unable
    to print to it. Will I have to replace lpd with cups on #2 as well, or
    is it possible to keep lpd on one with machine with cups running on the
    other?

    - Will

  2. Re: remote printing lpr to CUPS?

    Begin
    On 25 Jan 2008 22:24:59 GMT, Will Parsons wrote:
    > I have a home network with two machines running FreeBSD and one
    > running Windows Vista. [snip: installed cups on the server] Will I
    > have to replace lpd with cups on #2 as well, or is it possible to keep
    > lpd on one with machine with cups running on the other?

    I haven't a clue about CUPS, but I'd say that it should be possible to
    have it listen for incoming lpr requests. (Or I'd never believe it was
    actually better --as advertised-- than lpr. I don't believe that now,
    but I digress.)

    I do recall that it was possible under the previous greatest ever ``OS''
    from redmond to make it print to a lpr type remote printer. ``Simply''
    add a new local printer, select tcp/ip, and so on and so forth. Yes, a
    remote lpr is styled ``local'' there. Might still be the case with the
    currently touted greatest ever from redmond.

  3. Re: remote printing lpr to CUPS?

    Will Parsons wrote:
    > I have a home network with two machines running FreeBSD and one running
    > Windows Vista. FreeBSD#1 has a printer connected to it via parallel port
    > which I would like to be able to be used from the other two machines.
    > In order to get the Windows machine to print via FreeBSD, I installed
    > CUPS and Samba on the machine, but now FreeBSD#2 (running lpd) is unable
    > to print to it. Will I have to replace lpd with cups on #2 as well, or
    > is it possible to keep lpd on one with machine with cups running on the
    > other?

    Maybe check the Listen line in /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf. Mine
    says "# Only listen for connections from the local machine.", but then
    cupsd isn't enabled, either.

    You could disable CUPS, re-enable lpd, set up a Windows "Standard TCP/IP
    Port" with lpr, and try that. You may need to add the appropriate IP
    addresses to /etc/hosts.lpd.

    If that doesn't work, and you have XP Pro, you can set up a "real" lpr
    client with the "Unix Print Services (Or Something Like That, We're
    Microsoft, Do You Think We Care If You Can Print On One Of Those Nerdy
    Unix Things?)" package.

  4. Re: remote printing lpr to CUPS?

    On 2008-01-26, Warren Block wrote:
    > Will Parsons wrote:
    >> I have a home network with two machines running FreeBSD and one running
    >> Windows Vista. FreeBSD#1 has a printer connected to it via parallel port
    >> which I would like to be able to be used from the other two machines.
    >> In order to get the Windows machine to print via FreeBSD, I installed
    >> CUPS and Samba on the machine, but now FreeBSD#2 (running lpd) is unable
    >> to print to it. Will I have to replace lpd with cups on #2 as well, or
    >> is it possible to keep lpd on one with machine with cups running on the
    >> other?

    > Maybe check the Listen line in /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf. Mine
    > says "# Only listen for connections from the local machine.", but then
    > cupsd isn't enabled, either.
    >
    > You could disable CUPS, re-enable lpd, set up a Windows "Standard TCP/IP
    > Port" with lpr, and try that. You may need to add the appropriate IP
    > addresses to /etc/hosts.lpd.
    >
    > If that doesn't work, and you have XP Pro, you can set up a "real" lpr
    > client with the "Unix Print Services (Or Something Like That, We're
    > Microsoft, Do You Think We Care If You Can Print On One Of Those Nerdy
    > Unix Things?)" package.

    My wife is running Vista. She has been printing through the standard
    interface from day 1, no cups. In fact trying to get cups working seemed to
    break my previously functioning system (see other thread from today). I use
    apsfilter to print locally. In samba, the printers from the printcap that
    apsfilter creates show up. As such, when you go to 'network' and find the
    freebsd computer, the printers show up. (Being totally accurate, I don't use
    "apsfilter" to print. I used it to generate a printcap that the lp deamon
    uses).

    As for printing from one freebsd machine to another, that I've never done.
    Sorry.

    JE

  5. Re: remote printing lpr to CUPS?

    jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On 25 Jan 2008 22:24:59 GMT, Will Parsons wrote:
    >> I have a home network with two machines running FreeBSD and one
    >> running Windows Vista. [snip: installed cups on the server] Will I
    >> have to replace lpd with cups on #2 as well, or is it possible to keep
    >> lpd on one with machine with cups running on the other?

    > I haven't a clue about CUPS, but I'd say that it should be possible to
    > have it listen for incoming lpr requests. (Or I'd never believe it was
    > actually better --as advertised-- than lpr. I don't believe that now,
    > but I digress.)

    It does.

    > I do recall that it was possible under the previous greatest ever ``OS''
    > from redmond to make it print to a lpr type remote printer. ``Simply''
    > add a new local printer, select tcp/ip, and so on and so forth. Yes, a
    > remote lpr is styled ``local'' there. Might still be the case with the
    > currently touted greatest ever from redmond.

    That's the way I do it.

    HTH,
    Rainer

    ....trying hard not to start a flamewar concerning $*%&...

  6. Re: remote printing lpr to CUPS?

    JE wrote:
    > On 2008-01-26, Warren Block wrote:
    >> Will Parsons wrote:
    >>> I have a home network with two machines running FreeBSD and one running
    >>> Windows Vista. FreeBSD#1 has a printer connected to it via parallel port
    >>> which I would like to be able to be used from the other two machines.
    >>> In order to get the Windows machine to print via FreeBSD, I installed
    >>> CUPS and Samba on the machine, but now FreeBSD#2 (running lpd) is unable
    >>> to print to it. Will I have to replace lpd with cups on #2 as well, or
    >>> is it possible to keep lpd on one with machine with cups running on the
    >>> other?

    >> You could disable CUPS, re-enable lpd, set up a Windows "Standard TCP/IP
    >> Port" with lpr, and try that. You may need to add the appropriate IP
    >> addresses to /etc/hosts.lpd.
    >>
    >> If that doesn't work, and you have XP Pro, you can set up a "real" lpr
    >> client with the "Unix Print Services (Or Something Like That, We're
    >> Microsoft, Do You Think We Care If You Can Print On One Of Those Nerdy
    >> Unix Things?)" package.

    This Vista Home Premium.

    > My wife is running Vista. She has been printing through the standard
    > interface from day 1, no cups. In fact trying to get cups working seemed to
    > break my previously functioning system (see other thread from today). I use
    > apsfilter to print locally. In samba, the printers from the printcap that
    > apsfilter creates show up. As such, when you go to 'network' and find the
    > freebsd computer, the printers show up. (Being totally accurate, I don't use
    > "apsfilter" to print. I used it to generate a printcap that the lp deamon
    > uses).

    OK - several responders have suggested that it is possible to have the
    Windows machine access the printer thru LPD running on FreeBSD, so I
    went back to try again. Still no success after trying to select
    local printer + TCP/IP. (What's the "port name" that Windows is
    requesting?) So, can anyone give me more explicit directions on how to
    get this to work, or, alternatively, tell me how (if it's possible) to
    have FreeBSD#2 [with LPD] use the printer on FreeBSD#1 [with CUPS],
    with or without Samba?

    - Will

  7. Re: remote printing lpr to CUPS?

    Will Parsons wrote:
    > JE wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You could disable CUPS, re-enable lpd, set up a Windows "Standard TCP/IP
    >>> Port" with lpr, and try that. You may need to add the appropriate IP
    >>> addresses to /etc/hosts.lpd.
    >>>
    >>> If that doesn't work, and you have XP Pro, you can set up a "real" lpr
    >>> client with the "Unix Print Services (Or Something Like That, We're
    >>> Microsoft, Do You Think We Care If You Can Print On One Of Those Nerdy
    >>> Unix Things?)" package.

    > This Vista Home Premium.

    Ah. This should be fun for everyone.

    > OK - several responders have suggested that it is possible to have the
    > Windows machine access the printer thru LPD running on FreeBSD, so I
    > went back to try again. Still no success after trying to select
    > local printer + TCP/IP.

    On XP, it defaults to port 9100 printing. You have to explicitly select
    lpd (or lpr, I forget).

    > (What's the "port name" that Windows is requesting?)

    Just some meaningless but unique name, at least on XP.

    > So, can anyone give me more explicit directions on how to get this to
    > work, or, alternatively, tell me how (if it's possible) to have
    > FreeBSD#2 [with LPD] use the printer on FreeBSD#1 [with CUPS], with or
    > without Samba?

    Maybe this:

    http://www.columbia.edu/acis/facilit.../winVista.html

    I would use the name of the FreeBSD lpd print queue rather than "public"
    as the printer name.

  8. Re: remote printing lpr to CUPS?

    Will Parsons wrote:
    > JE wrote:
    >>> You could disable CUPS, re-enable lpd, set up a Windows "Standard TCP/IP
    >>> Port" with lpr, and try that. You may need to add the appropriate IP
    >>> addresses to /etc/hosts.lpd.
    >>>
    >>> If that doesn't work, and you have XP Pro, you can set up a "real" lpr
    >>> client with the "Unix Print Services (Or Something Like That, We're
    >>> Microsoft, Do You Think We Care If You Can Print On One Of Those Nerdy
    >>> Unix Things?)" package.

    > This Vista Home Premium.
    >
    >> My wife is running Vista. She has been printing through the standard
    >> interface from day 1, no cups. In fact trying to get cups working seemed to
    >> break my previously functioning system (see other thread from today). I use
    >> apsfilter to print locally. In samba, the printers from the printcap that
    >> apsfilter creates show up. As such, when you go to 'network' and find the
    >> freebsd computer, the printers show up. (Being totally accurate, I don't use
    >> "apsfilter" to print. I used it to generate a printcap that the lp deamon
    >> uses).

    > OK - several responders have suggested that it is possible to have the
    > Windows machine access the printer thru LPD running on FreeBSD, so I
    > went back to try again. Still no success after trying to select
    > local printer + TCP/IP. (What's the "port name" that Windows is
    > requesting?) So, can anyone give me more explicit directions on how to

    Chose internet printer and this url (for cups)

    http://:631/printer/

    PS I install a cups printer in raw mode and so I can use the XP drivers
    when I print from the XP box

    Henri
    > get this to work, or, alternatively, tell me how (if it's possible) to
    > have FreeBSD#2 [with LPD] use the printer on FreeBSD#1 [with CUPS],
    > with or without Samba?
    >
    > - Will

  9. Re: remote printing lpr to CUPS?

    Warren Block wrote:
    > Will Parsons wrote:

    >> OK - several responders have suggested that it is possible to have the
    >> Windows machine access the printer thru LPD running on FreeBSD, so I
    >> went back to try again. Still no success after trying to select
    >> local printer + TCP/IP.

    >> So, can anyone give me more explicit directions on how to get this to
    >> work, or, alternatively, tell me how (if it's possible) to have
    >> FreeBSD#2 [with LPD] use the printer on FreeBSD#1 [with CUPS], with or
    >> without Samba?

    > Maybe this:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/acis/facilit.../winVista.html
    >
    > I would use the name of the FreeBSD lpd print queue rather than "public"
    > as the printer name.

    Thanks! Things didn't go quite according to the reference you posted,
    but with its help I was able to get the Windows machine to use FreeBSD+LPD
    to print (using a separate raw print queue). So now I guess I can
    uninstall CUPS. (I'm not quite sure why people seem to be running to
    go to CUPS over LPD anyway.)

    - Will

  10. Re: remote printing lpr to CUPS?

    Will Parsons wrote:
    :
    : So now I guess I can
    : uninstall CUPS. (I'm not quite sure why people seem to be running to
    : go to CUPS over LPD anyway.)
    :
    Because, in my case, it was a hell of a lot easier to
    install CUPS than continue to do the voodoo that was required
    for printcap?

    Bruce
    "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
    - Thuganlitha
    The Power and the Prophet
    Robert Don Hughes

  11. Re: remote printing lpr to CUPS?

    Will Parsons wrote:
    > Thanks! Things didn't go quite according to the reference you posted,
    > but with its help I was able to get the Windows machine to use FreeBSD+LPD
    > to print (using a separate raw print queue). So now I guess I can
    > uninstall CUPS.

    Don't be surprised by a lot of things requiring cups-base. It doesn't
    seem to hurt anything to have it installed but not running.

    > (I'm not quite sure why people seem to be running to go to CUPS over
    > LPD anyway.)

    It makes things just work, and it's easier. Except when it isn't.

  12. Re: remote printing lpr to CUPS?

    Begin
    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 04:26:54 -0000, Warren Block wrote:
    > Will Parsons wrote:
    >> Thanks! Things didn't go quite according to the reference you posted,
    >> but with its help I was able to get the Windows machine to use FreeBSD+LPD
    >> to print (using a separate raw print queue). So now I guess I can
    >> uninstall CUPS.

    > Don't be surprised by a lot of things requiring cups-base. It doesn't
    > seem to hurt anything to have it installed but not running.

    Which is one reason why the people that dislike it dislike it so much.
    ``What, you're insisting I install $yet_another_lpr_remake just
    because you're too lazy to output proper postscript? Fsck that!''

    >> (I'm not quite sure why people seem to be running to go to CUPS over
    >> LPD anyway.)

    > It makes things just work, and it's easier. Except when it isn't.

    My printcap entries ``just work'', too. But then, my printer does
    do postscript, so I've never had to try to replace five minutes of
    hand-editing a file by installing and running lots of code that by the
    accounts here seems to fail in and of itself with regularity.

    I don't mind other people liking to use CUPS, or anything else, really.
    I severely dislike other people deciding for me that running it is for
    my own good and declining to give me a choice in the matter. At that
    point I tend to choose to not use their CUPS-using software at all.

  13. Re: remote printing lpr to CUPS?

    Will Parsons wrote:
    > (I'm not quite sure why people seem to be running to
    > go to CUPS over LPD anyway.)

    Nobody is running to install CUPS (at least, I haven't met any).
    However, in my case, cups is required by HPLIP[1], and it was only
    slightly difficult to get HPLIP working with my printer. And it works.
    And it is very easy to get just about any machine I have to print to a
    remote cups printer.