Printing, Cups, Openoffice - BSD

This is a discussion on Printing, Cups, Openoffice - BSD ; Just a quick question. Is it still necessary to add lines to make.conf to get cups to work? I've been happily plugging along without for a few years now, but I've recently added openoffice.0rg-2.3 from ports. I foolishly compiled WITH_CUPS. ...

  1. Printing, Cups, Openoffice

    Just a quick question.

    Is it still necessary to add lines to make.conf to get cups to work? I've
    been happily plugging along without for a few years now, but I've recently
    added openoffice.0rg-2.3 from ports. I foolishly compiled WITH_CUPS. Now I'm
    trying to root around and find all of the requisite things that need to be
    done to make cups work and I'm a little stuck.

    When I installed openoffice, it added a number of icons to the KDE menu. One
    of which is printer administration. Clicking this brings one to the word
    processor. Not much help there.

    My log book has a note about adding the following to make.conf:

    CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes
    NO_LPR=yes

    I'm reluctant to do this unless I know it won't break my apsfilter, which is
    working well for everything else but OO.

    Unfortuneately, the last time I used OO and cups was on 5.3. I can't tell
    from my logs if I was actually successful with cups or just gave up and went
    with apsfilter.

    Relevant system info:

    6.2-RELEASE-p8

    And from ports:
    cups-base-1.3.5_2
    openoffice.org-2.3.1_1

  2. Re: Printing, Cups, Openoffice

    JE wrote:

    > Is it still necessary to add lines to make.conf to get cups to work?

    It's not necessary, or rather it's not necessary to use CUPS to print
    from OO.o.

    > I've been happily plugging along without for a few years now, but I've
    > recently added openoffice.0rg-2.3 from ports. I foolishly compiled
    > WITH_CUPS. Now I'm trying to root around and find all of the requisite
    > things that need to be done to make cups work and I'm a little stuck.

    On my system, OO.o Printer Setup just shows "Generic Printer". Print
    jobs do go to the printer. I can't recall setting it anywhere, but my
    PS print queue is actually the second queue. There may be another
    setting somewhere else in oo.o, but a quick look didn't find it.

    cups-base is installed, but cupsd isn't enabled.

    What happens when you try to print?

  3. Re: Printing, Cups, Openoffice

    On 2008-01-26, Warren Block wrote:
    > JE wrote:
    >
    >> Is it still necessary to add lines to make.conf to get cups to work?

    > It's not necessary, or rather it's not necessary to use CUPS to print
    > from OO.o.
    >
    >> I've been happily plugging along without for a few years now, but I've
    >> recently added openoffice.0rg-2.3 from ports. I foolishly compiled
    >> WITH_CUPS. Now I'm trying to root around and find all of the requisite
    >> things that need to be done to make cups work and I'm a little stuck.

    > On my system, OO.o Printer Setup just shows "Generic Printer". Print
    > jobs do go to the printer. I can't recall setting it anywhere, but my
    > PS print queue is actually the second queue. There may be another
    > setting somewhere else in oo.o, but a quick look didn't find it.
    >
    > cups-base is installed, but cupsd isn't enabled.
    >
    > What happens when you try to print?

    Warren:

    I didn't have any errors in my /var/log/lpd-errs file (that were recent), so
    I thought it was a cups thing. As I was crafting a response to you, I went
    to a virtual console and saw the usual "mail" message, indicating the OS was
    telling me something. Somehow, the directory that had the configuration for
    the generic ("lp") printer had been deleted. As such, apsfilter could not
    find the configuration. It has been such a long time since I've had any
    issue with apsfilter that I'd forgotten that it e-mails root when something
    screws up.

    All working correctly now.

    Cheers

    JE