spamd whitelisting? - BSD

This is a discussion on spamd whitelisting? - BSD ; While skimming through the spamd man page as well as numerous articles, it seems that, by design, the only things you can whitelist in spamd/pf are IPs. Is this true? Does anyone know of any other way to whitelist per ...

  1. spamd whitelisting?

    While skimming through the spamd man page as well as numerous
    articles, it seems that, by design, the only things you can whitelist
    in
    spamd/pf are IPs. Is this true?

    Does anyone know of any other way to whitelist per user and/or per
    domain, for
    those users who wish to opt-out of spamd greylisting?

    This would be for a shared mail server for ISP use.

  2. Re: spamd whitelisting?

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:31:42 -0800 (PST),
    ane8610@hotmail.com wrote:
    > While skimming through the spamd man page as well as numerous
    > articles, it seems that, by design, the only things you can whitelist
    > in spamd/pf are IPs. Is this true?

    pf works on the ip level. If you want to block/whitelist/do anything
    with hostnames, *something* is going to have to do the necessairy name
    lookups. This is usually handled by your MTA.

    > Does anyone know of any other way to whitelist per user and/or per
    > domain, for those users who wish to opt-out of spamd greylisting?

    Since pf is used to do the redirecting, you'd have to have spamd do the
    lookups then somehow give an already established connection over to the
    MTA you're using.

    Circumventing this per target domain is not difficult: Provide a non-
    greylisted MTA and point MXes to that. Per user isn't going to work for
    obvious reasons. Consider at what point in the transaction the target
    user becomes known.

    > This would be for a shared mail server for ISP use.

    Wouldn't it be time to find someone with the relevant experience to run
    it, or at least help set it up? You'll need someone with abuse handling
    and spam hunting experience as well.

  3. Re: spamd whitelisting?

    Thank you Jpd and Peter for the quick and informative responses.

+ Reply to Thread