startx - problem with shared object - BSD

This is a discussion on startx - problem with shared object - BSD ; I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 6.2 without X... I downloaded and built both X and KDE through ports (which both went fine) Now when I do a /usr/local/bin/startx, I get the following output: ================================================== = xauth: creating new ...

  1. startx - problem with shared object

    I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 6.2 without X... I downloaded and
    built both X and KDE through ports (which both went fine)

    Now when I do a /usr/local/bin/startx, I get the following output:

    xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.50427

    /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libXdmcp.so.0" not found,
    required by "X" /*this will hang for 30 seconds or so, and then:*/
    giving up.
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit: Connection refused (errno 61): unable to
    connect to X server
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit: No such process (errno 3): unexpected signal
    2.

    Any ideas about how to fix this problem? Any help would be
    appreciated. Thanks

    Steve

  2. Re: startx - problem with shared object

    [I notice you posted this in multiple groups. IFF you must, and in this
    case it is already overkill, you should not multi-post, as you did,
    but cross-post; post one message with multiple groups listed in the
    >Newsgroups: header. Also, find a better news provider.]

    Begin
    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 05:31:03 -0800 (PST),
    Steven Borrelli wrote:
    > I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 6.2 without X... I downloaded and
    > built both X and KDE through ports (which both went fine)

    You didn't say which version of X you were installing. Since Xorg 7 the
    Xorg presence in the ports has exploded into a large number of small
    packages.

    > Now when I do a /usr/local/bin/startx, I get the following output:
    >

    > xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.50427
    >
    > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libXdmcp.so.0" not found,

    You need to find the package (or port) the file is in and install that.
    A quick look tells me you need the libXdmcp port. If it is already
    installed, it might be you need to update the shared library cache (see
    ldconfig(8)), but check that it is installed first.