Re: Anyone had any luck with Anonym.OS? - BSD

This is a discussion on Re: Anyone had any luck with Anonym.OS? - BSD ; "Moe Trin" wrote in message news:slrnfpcgul.foe.ibuprofin@compton.phx.az.us... : On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.comp.linux, in article : , Cork Soaker wrote: : : >I have it loaded in VMWare, but it just won't surf. The router logs ...

  1. Re: Anyone had any luck with Anonym.OS?

    "Moe Trin" wrote in message
    : On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.comp.linux, in article
    : , Cork Soaker wrote:
    :
    : >I have it loaded in VMWare, but it just won't surf. The router logs
    : >shows it's "trying" connect to some IPs on port 80, but then nothing's
    : >happening.
    :
    : And the error messages it provides are... Why not start from the
    : beginning, and see if standard network services are alive - ping,
    : telnet, ftp. Is it resolving names?

    It doesn't have ping, telnet or FTP clients or services.
    There are NO error messages, nothing happens, nothing times out. I just
    said it creates entries in the router logs.
    It does not respond to ping by design.

    :
    : >Anyone got any idea just what the hell I'm doing wrong?
    :
    : Well, for starters, you are trying to use some unsupported software,
    : that happens to be based on OpenBSD (which isn't Linux), without even
    : trying to read the on-line documentation.

    Aye you're right, it's not Linux. And I looked at ALL the online
    documentation, as well as Google a load of ****, and it was hopeless,
    otherwise I wouldn't have bothered asking some smug git in a newsgroup.

    :
    : >I can't find any support on this and I'm just assuming it's supposed to
    : >connect to the Tor network itself.
    :
    : And you're expecting that nothing has changed in the two years since
    : the mess was created.
    :

    No, I just don't care, I asked for help. If it's so damned old, why do
    "tech" sites keep reporting how "good" this is and how well it works?

  2. Re: Anyone had any luck with Anonym.OS?

    [Newsgroups trimmed - followup set]

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc, in
    article , Cork Soaker wrote:

    "Moe Trin" wrote

    >> Cork Soaker wrote

    >: >I have it loaded in VMWare, but it just won't surf. The router logs
    >: >shows it's "trying" connect to some IPs on port 80, but then nothing's
    >: >happening.
    >:
    >: And the error messages it provides are... Why not start from the
    >: beginning, and see if standard network services are alive - ping,
    >: telnet, ftp. Is it resolving names?
    >
    >It doesn't have ping, telnet or FTP clients or services.
    >There are NO error messages, nothing happens, nothing times out. I just
    >said it creates entries in the router logs.

    OK, as you are running it as a guest system in VMWare, use a packet
    sniffer on the host system, and see what is happening to the bits on
    the wire. Is it talking to a DNS server? Is it getting a reply? Is
    it using that information to try to connect to some remote host?
    Does the remote host exist? Does it respond?

    >It does not respond to ping by design.

    Which is fine - back lacking elementary network clients makes it hard
    to deduce what it is or isn't doing.

    >Aye you're right, it's not Linux. And I looked at ALL the online
    >documentation, as well as Google a load of ****, and it was hopeless,
    >otherwise I wouldn't have bothered asking some smug git in a newsgroup.

    The limited stuff I saw using google wasn't all that hopeless. I'll
    admit I see little use of the application given the alternatives -
    anything from Tor to creative use of the thousands of open proxies
    out there.

    >No, I just don't care, I asked for help. If it's so damned old, why do
    >"tech" sites keep reporting how "good" this is and how well it works?

    What are the dates of those reports? Most of the material I saw looked
    to be two years old, and thinking that relay sites would be unchanged in
    two years is expecting quite a bit.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Anyone had any luck with Anonym.OS?

    To sum it all up:

    1. Thanks for your help.
    2. I finally found the bloody command prompt, and the network is fine.
    3. I give up, I didn't realise how crappy it is.
    4. I want.

    Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread