re0 no link - BSD

This is a discussion on re0 no link - BSD ; Hi, I use FBSD 7.0-Prerelease and I wanted to enable an onboard NIC. ifconfig gives: re0: flags=8802 metric 0 mtu 1500 options=9b ether 00:18:f3:08:cc:bf media: Ethernet 100baseTX (10baseT/UTP ) status: no carrier Yet the status doesn't change whatever I do. ...

  1. re0 no link

    Hi,
    I use FBSD 7.0-Prerelease and I wanted to enable an onboard NIC.
    ifconfig gives:
    re0: flags=8802 metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=9b
    ether 00:18:f3:08:cc:bf
    media: Ethernet 100baseTX (10baseT/UTP )
    status: no carrier

    Yet the status doesn't change whatever I do.

    Any ideas?

    Us

  2. Re: re0 no link

    Us wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I use FBSD 7.0-Prerelease and I wanted to enable an onboard NIC.
    > ifconfig gives:
    > re0: flags=8802 metric 0 mtu 1500
    > options=9b
    > ether 00:18:f3:08:cc:bf
    > media: Ethernet 100baseTX (10baseT/UTP
    > ) status: no carrier
    >

    > Yet the status doesn't change whatever I do.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Us

    I think the first thing might be to examine and determine exactly what
    hardware is present. Look through your dmesg and utilize the command:
    pciconf -lv.

    What I'm wondering is if you're trying to use the wrong driver. This can be
    sorted out by chip type. The 8139C+ and 8169 types should use re. If it is
    a straight (older kind) of 8139 then try the rl driver instead.

    I have heard of people having trouble with some of the 816x/811x/8101x
    chips. I only have experience with the old style 8139 using the rl here.

    -Jason

  3. Re: re0 no link

    Us wrote:
    > ifconfig gives:
    > re0: flags=8802 metric 0 mtu 1500
    > options=9b
    > ether 00:18:f3:08:cc:bf
    > media: Ethernet 100baseTX (10baseT/UTP )
    > status: no carrier
    >
    > Yet the status doesn't change whatever I do.

    ifconfig re0 up

    cu
    Clemens.
    --
    /"\ http://czauner.onlineloop.com/
    \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN

  4. Re: re0 no link

    Clemens Zauner wrote:
    > Us wrote:
    >> ifconfig gives:
    >> re0: flags=8802 metric 0 mtu 1500
    >> options=9b
    >> ether 00:18:f3:08:cc:bf
    >> media: Ethernet 100baseTX (10baseT/UTP )
    >> status: no carrier
    >>
    >> Yet the status doesn't change whatever I do.

    > ifconfig re0 up
    >
    > cu
    > Clemens.

    Damn, I keep doing small invisible mistakes all the time. Thanks - saved
    me from headbanging on the table.

    Us

+ Reply to Thread