Default kernel immediately dumps core on new 6.2 installation - BSD

This is a discussion on Default kernel immediately dumps core on new 6.2 installation - BSD ; Hi there. I'm a linux user trying out freebsd for the first time. I installed freebsd 6.2 to an external usb hard drive. Installation went smoothly. When trying to boot for the first time, I was successfully taken to the ...

  1. Default kernel immediately dumps core on new 6.2 installation

    Hi there.

    I'm a linux user trying out freebsd for the first time. I installed
    freebsd 6.2 to an external usb hard drive. Installation went smoothly.
    When trying to boot for the first time, I was successfully taken to the
    freebsd bootloader which was installed to the usb hd MBR. When the boot
    actually started, however, the kernel immediately printed a stack dump
    to the terminal and wouldn't proceed. There was no other output to the
    terminal.

    I can't tell you what the stack dump actually said because it now prints
    the stack over and over in an infinite loop, so I can't read it. (It
    started doing that on the second boot attempt and every time since). It
    looks like those screensavers from the matrix movie with all those
    random characters precipitating down the screen.

    I tried booting with my internal hd bootloader (grub 0.97) and the same
    thing happens.

    I'm assuming that there's something in the kernel that finds my system
    disagreeable. No idea what though. If anyone has had a similar problem
    please tell me how you got it working.

    Thanks very much,
    Elliot

    Here is much more information than you actually want about my system.
    Information about the drive I installed freebsd to is under usb:4.

    # lshw -sanitize
    computer
    product: Presario V5000 (EZ430UA#ABA)
    vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    version: F.15
    serial: [REMOVED]
    width: 32 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.4 dmi-2.4
    configuration: boot=oem-specific chassis=notebook
    uuid=E8D88135-15FC-11DB-94A5-0016D43665AC
    *-core
    product: 30A8
    vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    physical id: 0
    version: 56.38
    serial: [REMOVED]
    slot:
    *-firmware
    vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    physical id: 0
    version: F.15 (06/13/2006)
    size: 99KB
    capacity: 960KB
    capabilities: pci pcmcia pnp upgrade shadowing escd cdboot
    bootselect int5printscreen int9keyboard int17printer int10video acpi usb
    agp smartbattery biosbootspecification
    *-cpu
    product: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 410 @ 1.46GHz
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 4
    bus info: cpu@0
    version: 6.14.8
    serial: [REMOVED]
    slot: U1
    size: 1460MHz
    capacity: 1460MHz
    width: 32 bits
    capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce
    cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss
    tm pbe nx constant_tsc pni monitor tm2 xtpr
    *-cache
    physical id: 5
    slot: L2 Cache
    size: 1MB
    capacity: 2MB
    capabilities: burst internal write-back
    *-memory
    physical id: a
    slot: System board or motherboard
    size: 512MB
    capacity: 2GB
    *-bank:0
    physical id: 0
    slot: M1
    size: 512MB
    width: 32 bits
    *-bank:1
    physical id: 1
    slot: M2
    *-pci
    product: Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express Memory
    Controller Hub
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 100
    bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
    version: 03
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    configuration: driver=agpgart-intel module=intel_agp
    *-display:0
    product: Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated
    Graphics Controller
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
    version: 03
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: msi pm vga bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
    product: Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated
    Graphics Controller
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 2.1
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
    version: 03
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    *-multimedia
    product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1b
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
    version: 01
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 module=snd_hda_intel
    *-pci:0
    product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1c
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.0
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm normal_decode
    bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=pcieport-driver
    *-pci:1
    product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1c.1
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.1
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm normal_decode
    bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=pcieport-driver
    *-pci:2
    product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1c.2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.2
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm normal_decode
    bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=pcieport-driver
    *-network UNCLAIMED
    product: Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    *-usb:0
    product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1d
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.0
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: uhci bus_master
    configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
    *-usbhost
    product: UHCI Host Controller
    vendor: Linux 2.6.21-ck2 uhci_hcd
    physical id: 1
    bus info: usb@2
    logical name: usb2
    version: 2.06
    capabilities: usb-1.10
    configuration: maxpower=0mA slots=2 speed=12.0MB/s
    *-usb:1
    product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1d.1
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.1
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: uhci bus_master
    configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
    *-usbhost
    product: UHCI Host Controller
    vendor: Linux 2.6.21-ck2 uhci_hcd
    physical id: 1
    bus info: usb@3
    logical name: usb3
    version: 2.06
    capabilities: usb-1.10
    configuration: maxpower=0mA slots=2 speed=12.0MB/s
    *-usb:2
    product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1d.2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.2
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: uhci bus_master
    configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
    *-usbhost
    product: UHCI Host Controller
    vendor: Linux 2.6.21-ck2 uhci_hcd
    physical id: 1
    bus info: usb@4
    logical name: usb4
    version: 2.06
    capabilities: usb-1.10
    configuration: maxpower=0mA slots=2 speed=12.0MB/s
    *-usb:3
    product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1d.3
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.3
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: uhci bus_master
    configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
    *-usbhost
    product: UHCI Host Controller
    vendor: Linux 2.6.21-ck2 uhci_hcd
    physical id: 1
    bus info: usb@5
    logical name: usb5
    version: 2.06
    capabilities: usb-1.10
    configuration: maxpower=0mA slots=2 speed=12.0MB/s
    *-usb:4
    product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1d.7
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.7
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm debug ehci bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=ehci_hcd latency=0 module=ehci_hcd
    *-usbhost
    product: EHCI Host Controller
    vendor: Linux 2.6.21-ck2 ehci_hcd
    physical id: 1
    bus info: usb@1
    logical name: usb1
    version: 2.06
    capabilities: usb-2.00
    configuration: maxpower=0mA slots=8 speed=480.0MB/s
    *-usb
    product: Mass Storage Device
    vendor: Prolific Technology Inc.
    physical id: 1
    bus info: usb@1:1
    logical name: scsi4
    version: 1.00
    serial: [REMOVED]
    capabilities: usb-2.00 emulated scsi-host
    configuration: driver=usb-storage maxpower=100mA
    speed=480.0MB/s
    *-disk
    product: 00JB-00REA0
    vendor: MDT MD12
    physical id: 0.0.0
    bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/sdb
    version: 20.0
    size: 111GB
    capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
    *-volume:0
    physical id: 1
    bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0,1
    logical name: /dev/sdb1
    capacity: 19GB
    capabilities: primary
    *-volume:1
    physical id: 3
    bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0,3
    logical name: /dev/sdb3
    capacity: 27GB
    capabilities: primary
    *-volume:2
    physical id: 4
    bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0,4
    logical name: /dev/sdb4
    capacity: 64GB
    capabilities: primary
    *-pci:3
    product: 82801BAM/CAM PCI Bridge
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1e
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1e.0
    version: e1
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pci subtractive_decode bus_master cap_list
    *-network
    product: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 8
    bus info: pci@0000:08:08.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 01
    serial: [REMOVED]
    size: 100MB/s
    capacity: 100MB/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
    tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes
    driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.17-k2-NAPI duplex=full firmware=N/A
    ip=[REMOVED] latency=66 link=yes maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 module=e100
    multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
    *-isa
    product: 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1f
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.0
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: isa bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    *-ide
    product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1f.1
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.1
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: ide bus_master
    configuration: driver=PIIX_IDE latency=0
    *-ide
    physical id: 0
    bus info: ide@0
    logical name: ide0
    clock: 33MHz
    *-cdrom
    product: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4082N
    physical id: 0
    bus info: ide@0.0
    logical name: /dev/hda
    version: HQ04
    serial: [REMOVED]
    capabilities: packet atapi cdrom removable
    nonmagnetic dma lba iordy pm audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
    configuration: status=nodisc
    *-storage
    product: 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage
    Controller AHCI
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1f.2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.2
    logical name: scsi0
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 66MHz
    capabilities: storage msi pm ahci_1.0 bus_master cap_list
    emulated
    configuration: driver=ahci latency=0
    *-disk
    product: HTS541060G9SA00
    vendor: Hitachi
    physical id: 0.0.0
    bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/sda
    version: MB3O
    serial: [REMOVED]
    size: 55GB
    capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
    configuration: ansiversion=5
    *-volume:0
    physical id: 1
    bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,1
    logical name: /dev/sda1
    capacity: 25GB
    capabilities: primary bootable
    *-volume:1
    physical id: 2
    bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,2
    logical name: /dev/sda2
    capacity: 7961MB
    capabilities: primary
    *-volume:2
    physical id: 3
    bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,3
    logical name: /dev/sda3
    capacity: 22GB
    capabilities: primary
    *-volume:3
    physical id: 4
    bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,4
    logical name: /dev/sda4
    capacity: 509MB
    capabilities: primary nofs
    *-serial
    product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 1f.3
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.3
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    configuration: driver=i801_smbus latency=0

  2. Re: Default kernel immediately dumps core on new 6.2 installation

    Elliot wrote:
    > Hi there.
    >
    > I'm a linux user trying out freebsd for the first time. I installed
    > freebsd 6.2 to an external usb hard drive. Installation went smoothly.

    FreeBSD 6.3 release is just out. Try that one instead.
    If that doesn't work, try a recent 7.0 RC / BETA.

    > When trying to boot for the first time, I was successfully taken to the
    > freebsd bootloader which was installed to the usb hd MBR. When the boot
    > actually started, however, the kernel immediately printed a stack dump
    > to the terminal and wouldn't proceed. There was no other output to the
    > terminal.

    Before it loads the kernel? (you can tell because it says "loading
    kernel" or something like that)
    If so, this is a known problem. Some machines have a buggy bios wrt USB
    hard drives, and the FreeBSD boot loader (both stage 1 and stage 2)
    doesn't know how to work around it.

    > I tried booting with my internal hd bootloader (grub 0.97) and the same
    > thing happens.

    Try to configure your grub to boot the FreeBSD kernel directly, and see
    if that helps.
    Note: thisd isn't easy, at least not for a Linux newbie like me, I
    failed to get Grub to boot FreeBSd kernel directly.

    HTH
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  3. Re: Default kernel immediately dumps core on new 6.2 installation

    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Elliot wrote:
    >> When trying to boot for the first time, I was successfully taken to
    >> the freebsd bootloader which was installed to the usb hd MBR. When the
    >> boot actually started, however, the kernel immediately printed a stack
    >> dump to the terminal and wouldn't proceed. There was no other output
    >> to the terminal.

    > Before it loads the kernel? (you can tell because it says "loading
    > kernel" or something like that)
    > If so, this is a known problem. Some machines have a buggy bios wrt USB
    > hard drives, and the FreeBSD boot loader (both stage 1 and stage 2)
    > doesn't know how to work around it.

    I guess it must be before the kernel... I think. There's definately no
    output that's not hexadecimal gibberish.

    >> I tried booting with my internal hd bootloader (grub 0.97) and the
    >> same thing happens.

    > Try to configure your grub to boot the FreeBSD kernel directly, and see
    > if that helps.
    > Note: thisd isn't easy, at least not for a Linux newbie like me, I
    > failed to get Grub to boot FreeBSd kernel directly.

    Yeah I can't do it either. I can pass 'kernel /boot/loader', no problem,
    but grub won't let me descend into the /boot/kernel directory to get to
    the actual kernel. It gives me an "Error: inconsistent file structure",
    which I think just means ufs support in grub 0.97 is spotty. I also
    tried grub 1.95 but it's so poorly documented that I'm really not sure
    how to get it to work. I can load the ufs module ok but it still can't
    read from the disk.

    This may not even be possible. From the GRUB 0.97 manual:

    "4.2.3 FreeBSD

    GRUB can load the kernel directly, either in ELF or a.out format. But
    this is not recommended, since FreeBSD's bootstrap interface sometimes
    changes heavily, so GRUB can't guarantee to pass kernel parameters
    correctly. "

    I guess what I'll do is try the newer freeBSD versions, and if they
    don't work I'll rearrange my disk partitions so I can install it to my
    internal drive. Thanks very much for the suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread