Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards? - BSD

This is a discussion on Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards? - BSD ; On 16 Jan 2008 14:33:20 GMT, jpd wrote: >I hope that's an error, as 192.192.0.0/16 is allocated to TANET, >Ministry of Education computer Center, Taipei, Taiwan. Yes, it was obviously an error, since this is a private network -> 192.168.0.0/24 ...

  1. Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards?

    On 16 Jan 2008 14:33:20 GMT, jpd
    wrote:
    >I hope that's an error, as 192.192.0.0/16 is allocated to TANET,
    >Ministry of Education computer Center, Taipei, Taiwan.

    Yes, it was obviously an error, since this is a private network ->
    192.168.0.0/24 :-)

    >Here, you should carefully read the output of ifconfig de0. Note
    >the 'media:' line. I don't know about your setup, but I don't think
    >selecting the AUI connector on the card is right in your case.

    It's an old DLink that has a both a regular Ethernet plub (100BT?) and
    a coaxial plug. The IP phone is connected on the 100BT, but fact is, I
    can't ping the IP phone:

    # ping 192.168.1.2
    PING 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.2): 56 data bytes
    ping: sendto: Host is down
    ping: sendto: Host is down
    ping: sendto: Host is down

    >In my experience, cards driven by de(4) (and do read that manpage)
    >tend to need a bit of prodding to do the right thing.

    Since a PCI NIC goes for 5E, I don't mind getting a new one, but I
    used this old NIC just to check how to configure things so that it
    works.

    >Maybe. If you turn on the phone, and it already has an IP address, how
    >is asterix to know you just turned on the phone?

    The IP phone is configured statically to use 192.168.1.2, and connect
    to the server at 192.168.1.1.

    >And, of course, have you verified that each of the NIC, the cable, and
    >the phone work?

    The phone works, since I configured it by connecting it first to the
    modem/switch, before moving it to the 192.168.1.x network.

    The reason I want to separate things, is that if the modem goes down,
    at least the IP phone will still ring when a call comes in through the
    FXO PCI card in the Asterisk server to which a phone line is
    connected.

    OTOH, if the IP phone is connected to the modem/switch, it will stop
    ringing if the modem goes south.

    >The handbook has instructions on how to do that.

    I'll take a look. Thanks.

  2. Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards?

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:48:02 +0100, Gilles Ganault
    wrote:
    >It's an old DLink that has a both a regular Ethernet plub (100BT?) and
    >a coaxial plug. The IP phone is connected on the 100BT, but fact is, I
    >can't ping the IP phone:
    >
    ># ping 192.168.1.2
    >PING 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.2): 56 data bytes
    >ping: sendto: Host is down
    >ping: sendto: Host is down
    >ping: sendto: Host is down

    # pciconf -vl

    de0@pci0:4:0: class=0x020000 card=0x01001186 chip=0x00141011
    rev=0x21 hdr=0x00
    vendor = 'Digital Equipment Corporation'
    device = 'DecChip 21041 "Tulip Plus" Ethernet Adapter'
    class = network
    subclass = ethernet

  3. Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards?

    Begin <5t5so3h2s7rnbdtjfgqmksm8pbcfpj58d1@4ax.com>
    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:48:02 +0100, Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On 16 Jan 2008 14:33:20 GMT, jpd
    > wrote:
    >>Here, you should carefully read the output of ifconfig de0. Note
    >>the 'media:' line. I don't know about your setup, but I don't think
    >>selecting the AUI connector on the card is right in your case.

    > It's an old DLink that has a both a regular Ethernet plub (100BT?) and
    > a coaxial plug. The IP phone is connected on the 100BT, but fact is, I
    > can't ping the IP phone:

    I know of no cards that can do combine 10Base5 or 10Base2 and 100BaseTX.
    So, I suppose the TP connector will only give you 10BaseT. If it has
    ``a coaxial plug'', that'd be for 10Base2.

    Now read the output of ifconfig de0 again, and slower than before,
    and check what is on the line starting with ``media:''.

    Then read de(4) and ifconfig(8). Specifically about the ``media''
    options available.

  4. Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards?

    On 16 Jan 2008 14:54:01 GMT, jpd
    wrote:
    >I know of no cards that can do combine 10Base5 or 10Base2 and 100BaseTX.
    >So, I suppose the TP connector will only give you 10BaseT. If it has
    >``a coaxial plug'', that'd be for 10Base2.

    Yes, it's 10BT and 10B2. I couldn't remember how coaxial plugs were
    called.

    >Then read de(4) and ifconfig(8). Specifically about the ``media''
    >options available.

    OK. I'll first have to figure out how to read de(4), and report back
    :-)

    # /usr/local/etc/asterisk]# man de
    No manual entry for de
    # man de 4
    No manual entry for de
    # man de(4)
    -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

    Or rather, I'll just get a newer card, and see if the problem goes
    away, so I'll just have to figure out how to get Asterisk to listen on
    two NICs.

    Thanks for your help.

  5. Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards?

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:16:55 +0100, Gilles Ganault
    wrote:
    >OK. I'll first have to figure out how to read de(4), and report back
    >:-)

    For newbies like me:
    # sysinstall

    Configure > Distributions > man

    # man de 4

  6. Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards?

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:20:35 +0100, Gilles Ganault
    wrote:
    >For newbies like me:

    We're in business :-)

    # ifconfig -m
    de0: flags=8c43 mtu
    1500
    ether 00:80:c8:47:32:a1
    media: Ethernet autoselect (10base5/AUI)
    status: active
    supported media:
    media autoselect
    media 10base5/AUI
    media 10base2/BNC
    media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex
    media 10baseT/UTP

    10baseT/UTP Set 10Mbps operation on the 10baseT port

    # cat /etc/rc.conf
    ifconfig_de0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 media
    10baseT/UTP"

    # /etc/rc.d/netif restart

    # ifconfig
    de0: flags=8843 mtu 1500
    ether 00:80:c8:47:32:a1
    media: Ethernet 10baseT/UTP
    status: active

    # ping 192.168.1.2

    Thanks JP!

  7. Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards?

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:29:00 +0100, Gilles Ganault
    wrote:
    >We're in business :-)

    .... and Asterisk doesn't seem to need anything special to the phone:

    ==================
    asterisk*CLI>
    -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/1-1'
    -- Executing [s@my-phones:1] Verbose("Zap/1-1", "Pick up the
    phone!") in new stack
    Pick up the phone!
    -- Executing [s@my-phones:2] Dial("Zap/1-1", "SIP/2001") in new
    stack
    -- Called 2001
    -- SIP/2001-086a5000 is ringing
    -- SIP/2001-086a5000 answered Zap/1-1
    == Spawn extension (my-phones, s, 2) exited non-zero on 'Zap/1-1'
    -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'
    ==================

    Obviously, things need to configured further so that the IP phone can
    be connected to a remote phone on the Net, through the
    FreeBSD/Asterisk server.

  8. Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards?

    Begin
    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:20:35 +0100, Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:16:55 +0100, Gilles Ganault
    > wrote:
    >>OK. I'll first have to figure out how to read de(4), and report back
    >>:-)

    > For newbies like me:
    > # sysinstall
    >
    > Configure > Distributions > man

    Having the manpages installed is pretty much mandatory, yes.

    > # man de 4

    Only by virtue of no ``de'' entries in other sections. Try it with dc(4)
    and you won't get what you want.

    SYNOPSIS
    man [-adfhkotw] [-m machine] [-p string] [-M path] [-P pager] [-S list]
    [section] name ...

    The relevant bits here are ``man [section] name''. See also the rest of
    that manpage, specifically sections DESCRIPTION and EXAMPLES.

  9. Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards?

    On 16 Jan 2008 16:20:21 GMT, jpd
    wrote:
    >Having the manpages installed is pretty much mandatory, yes.

    Yes, but I chose Minimum Install because I previously tried installing
    FBSD on a Compact Flash.

    >Only by virtue of no ``de'' entries in other sections. Try it with dc(4)
    >and you won't get what you want.

    Good to know. Thanks.

  10. Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards?

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:16:55 UTC, Gilles Ganault
    wrote:

    > On 16 Jan 2008 14:54:01 GMT, jpd
    > wrote:
    > >I know of no cards that can do combine 10Base5 or 10Base2 and 100BaseTX.
    > >So, I suppose the TP connector will only give you 10BaseT. If it has
    > >``a coaxial plug'', that'd be for 10Base2.

    > Yes, it's 10BT and 10B2. I couldn't remember how coaxial plugs were
    > called.
    >
    > >Then read de(4) and ifconfig(8). Specifically about the ``media''
    > >options available.

    > OK. I'll first have to figure out how to read de(4), and report back
    > :-)
    >
    > # /usr/local/etc/asterisk]# man de
    > No manual entry for de
    > # man de 4
    > No manual entry for de
    > # man de(4)
    > -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

    man 4 de

    Mind, I've had problems with the consistency of these cards on other
    operating systems. I'd get a 3Com or something if I were you.
    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  11. Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards?

    Begin <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-ZVd5WTG5yZXL@rikki.tavi.co.uk>
    On 16 Jan 2008 19:05:46 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:
    > Mind, I've had problems with the consistency of these cards on other
    > operating systems. I'd get a 3Com or something if I were you.

    3c905 have their own problems, IIRC mostly with pre-revC cards. As I
    said, the de(4) driven stuff might have problems getting the autoneg and
    media settings right. Prod'em a bit and they work fine.

    There's really nothing wrong with 21143 (dc(4) driver) or i825xx (fxp(4))
    based cards. In fact, those are my favourite 10/100Mbit NICs, with 3coms
    rating a bit after that.

  12. Re: Asterisk with two ethernet cards?

    On 16 Jan 2008 20:05:01 GMT, jpd
    wrote:
    >There's really nothing wrong with 21143 (dc(4) driver) or i825xx (fxp(4))
    >based cards. In fact, those are my favourite 10/100Mbit NICs, with 3coms
    >rating a bit after that.

    I'll keep that in mind. If I'm having issues with that old DLink card,
    I'll get something newer. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread