GLX error in FB7 - BSD

This is a discussion on GLX error in FB7 - BSD ; Hi, there, I have a on-board nvidia graphic card (6150 go). When I installed the xorg, it seems also installed the nvidia driver. But when I was running some application like tuxracer or some feature in xscreensaver, it will complain ...

  1. GLX error in FB7

    Hi, there,

    I have a on-board nvidia graphic card (6150 go).
    When I installed the xorg, it seems also installed the nvidia driver.
    But when I was running some application like tuxracer or some feature in
    xscreensaver, it will complain that the GLX is missing.

    My congfiure file /etc/X11/xorg.conf is below and it load "glx" in the
    configure file.

    I have searched some web, but it seems most discussions are on previous
    version like 6.1 release.
    I have try to change Driver "nv" to Driver "nvidia" as some website
    said, but this change make the xorg could not start.
    I also installed the compact5x ports, actually I think it is installed
    with the nvidia driver.

    Any ideas on such things is appreciated.

    Kemian

    xorg.conf:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "X.org Configured"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"
    RgbPath "/usr/local/share/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "record"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "glx"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "xtrap"
    Load "dri"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "type1"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "Monitor Model"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    ### Available Driver options are:-
    ### Values: : integer, : float, : "True"/"False",
    ### : "String", : " Hz/kHz/MHz"
    ### [arg]: arg optional
    #Option "SWcursor" # []
    Option "HWcursor" "False" # []
    #Option "NoAccel" # []
    #Option "ShadowFB" # []
    #Option "UseFBDev" # []
    #Option "Rotate" # []
    #Option "VideoKey" #
    #Option "FlatPanel" # []
    #Option "FPDither" # []
    #Option "CrtcNumber" #
    #Option "FPScale" # []
    #Option "FPTweak" #
    #Option "DualHead" # []
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "nv"
    VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName "C51 [Geforce 6150 Go]"
    BusID "PCI:0:5:0"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    SubSection "Display"
    #Option "FPScale" # []
    #Option "FPTweak" #
    #Option "DualHead" # []
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "nv"
    VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName "C51 [Geforce 6150 Go]"
    BusID "PCI:0:5:0"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 1
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

  2. Re: GLX error in FB7

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:27:27 +0000, Kemian Dang wrote:
    : Hi, there,
    :
    : I have a on-board nvidia graphic card (6150 go).
    : When I installed the xorg, it seems also installed the nvidia driver.
    : But when I was running some application like tuxracer or some feature in
    : xscreensaver, it will complain that the GLX is missing.
    :
    : My congfiure file /etc/X11/xorg.conf is below and it load "glx" in the
    : configure file.

    Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for (WW)arnings and (EE)rrors

  3. Re: GLX error in FB7

    Howard Goldstein 写道:
    > On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:27:27 +0000, Kemian Dang wrote:
    > : Hi, there,
    > :
    > : I have a on-board nvidia graphic card (6150 go).
    > : When I installed the xorg, it seems also installed the nvidia driver.
    > : But when I was running some application like tuxracer or some feature in
    > : xscreensaver, it will complain that the GLX is missing.
    > :
    > : My congfiure file /etc/X11/xorg.conf is below and it load "glx" in the
    > : configure file.
    >
    > Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for (WW)arnings and (EE)rrors

    Hi, the result of WW & EE is below:

    %cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep WW
    (WW) OS did not count PCI devices, guessing wildly
    (WW) NV: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:10:3) found
    (WW) NV(0): Unable to estimate virtual size

    %cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
    (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not
    found)

    it said the nvidia driver is not found, But actually I have the latest
    nividia driver installed from ports:

    %pkg_info |grep nvidia
    nvidia-driver-100.14.19 NVidia graphics card binary drivers for hardware
    OpenGL ren

    What should I do to recover my nvidia driver?

    Cheers,
    Kemian

  4. Re: GLX error in FB7

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:46:34 +0000, Kemian Dang wrote:
    : Howard Goldstein ??:
    : > On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:27:27 +0000, Kemian Dang wrote:
    : > : Hi, there,
    : > :
    : > : I have a on-board nvidia graphic card (6150 go).
    : > : When I installed the xorg, it seems also installed the nvidia driver.
    : > : But when I was running some application like tuxracer or some feature in
    : > : xscreensaver, it will complain that the GLX is missing.
    : > :
    : > : My congfiure file /etc/X11/xorg.conf is below and it load "glx" in the
    : > : configure file.
    : >
    : > Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for (WW)arnings and (EE)rrors
    :
    : Hi, the result of WW & EE is below:
    :
    : %cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep WW
    : (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    : (WW) OS did not count PCI devices, guessing wildly
    : (WW) NV: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:10:3) found
    : (WW) NV(0): Unable to estimate virtual size
    :
    : %cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
    : (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    : (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    : (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not
    : found)
    :
    : it said the nvidia driver is not found, But actually I have the latest
    : nividia driver installed from ports:
    :
    : %pkg_info |grep nvidia
    : nvidia-driver-100.14.19 NVidia graphics card binary drivers for hardware
    : OpenGL ren

    First, make sure to read all of the the notes in
    /usr/local/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/ . The Driver is "nvidia" for use
    with the binary. If that and all else is configured as indicated
    there then check to see if the nvidia kernel module is loaded. If not,
    kldload it. If it is loaded, kldunload it, and try portupgrade -f
    reinstalling it.

    Here are the relevant bits from my xorg.conf

    Section "Device"
    ### Available Driver options are:-
    ### Values: : integer, : float, : "True"/"False",
    ### : "String", : " Hz/kHz/MHz"
    ### [arg]: arg optional
    # Option "NoLogo" "False"
    #EXPERIMENTAL
    Option "RenderAccel" "True"

    #Option "SWcursor" # []
    #Option "HWcursor" # []
    #Option "NoAccel" # []
    #Option "ShowCache" # []
    #Option "ShadowFB" # []
    #Option "UseFBDev" # []
    #Option "Rotate" # []
    #Option "VideoKey" #
    #Option "FlatPanel" # []
    #
    Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0"
    Option "ModeValidation" "DFP-0: NoMaxPClkCheck,NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"
    Option "backingstore" "True"
    Identifier "Card0"
    #this is less efficient driver
    # Driver "nv"
    #ONLY WHEN NV kern driver
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "NvAGP" "3"
    VendorName "NVidia"
    EndSection

    If it still fails then you might want to ping the folks on
    freebsd-questions or the experts on the freebsd-x mailing list

  5. Re: GLX error in FB7

    Hi, there,

    Sorry for abense as I have a lot of work to do.

    I checked the Nvidia Readme and found there are a lot of files that it
    described were not in my system. So, I downloaded the newest driver from the
    nvidia website, but it said it did not support 7.x. I also tried the same
    version as ports, still no lucky.

    I wonder whether the driver in ports is for FB7, or someone using FB7 could
    use that driver?

    Cheers,
    Kemian