Monitor replacement - BSD

This is a discussion on Monitor replacement - BSD ; hi, I have just bought a lcd monitor to replace my old crt and I was wondering how should I (re)set up X. -boot in single user mode, -backup the old xorg.conf and -edit it to reflect changes... Am I ...

  1. Monitor replacement

    hi,

    I have just bought a lcd monitor to replace my old crt
    and I was wondering how should I (re)set up X.

    -boot in single user mode,
    -backup the old xorg.conf and
    -edit it to reflect changes...

    Am I missing something ?

  2. Re: Monitor replacement

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:50:38 UTC, Lie Algebra
    wrote:

    > I have just bought a lcd monitor to replace my old crt
    > and I was wondering how should I (re)set up X.
    >
    > -boot in single user mode,
    > -backup the old xorg.conf and
    > -edit it to reflect changes...
    >
    > Am I missing something ?

    I'd run 'X -configure' first. Then do as you say, copying the stuff from
    the xorg.conf.new that relates to the monitor (saves working it out).
    Then edit for actual supported resolutions, etc.
    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  3. Re: Monitor replacement

    Begin <4789fa79$0$29405$426a34cc@news.free.fr>
    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:50:38 +0100,
    Lie Algebra wrote:
    > I have just bought a lcd monitor to replace my old crt
    > and I was wondering how should I (re)set up X.
    >
    > -boot in single user mode,

    Why would you do that?

    Unless you configured your machine to boot graphically. But in that
    case, you could have disabled that while the old monitor was still
    attached, then attach the new one and setup X again. After that works,
    you can turn xdm (or whatever you're using) back on again.

  4. Re: Monitor replacement

    Lie Algebra wrote:

    > I have just bought a lcd monitor to replace my old crt
    > and I was wondering how should I (re)set up X.
    >
    > -boot in single user mode,

    Not necessary.

    > -backup the old xorg.conf and
    > -edit it to reflect changes...

    Or just rename it as a backup, connect the monitor and restart X.
    Depends on how old the xorg install is, and maybe your hardware, but
    will often work.

  5. Re: Monitor replacement

    Warren Block wrote:

    > Or just rename it as a backup, connect the monitor and restart X.
    > Depends on how old the xorg install is, and maybe your hardware, but
    > will often work.

    It's exactly what I did and it made the trick. I still reconfigured X to
    use the highest resolution handled by the monitor even if this was not
    necessary. I also figured out that the ctrl+alt+backspace sequence
    doesnt kill X, it just restarts GDM as I am using it. So to kill X, I
    have to stop GDM and the uniq way I found to do that was to run killall
    gdm-binary...

  6. Re: Monitor replacement

    Dnia 14.01.2008 Lie Algebra napisał/a:
    > Warren Block wrote:
    >
    >> Or just rename it as a backup, connect the monitor and restart X.
    >> Depends on how old the xorg install is, and maybe your hardware, but
    >> will often work.
    >>

    > It's exactly what I did and it made the trick. I still reconfigured X to
    > use the highest resolution handled by the monitor even if this was not
    > necessary. I also figured out that the ctrl+alt+backspace sequence
    > doesnt kill X, it just restarts GDM as I am using it. So to kill X, I
    > have to stop GDM and the uniq way I found to do that was to run killall
    > gdm-binary...

    It should be enough to restart gdm to issue:

    # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm restart

    --
    Piotr Smyrak

+ Reply to Thread