[FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports? - BSD

This is a discussion on [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports? - BSD ; Hello I'm still stuck trying to compile the Zaptel driver to install Asterisk on FreeBSD 6.2: ============= # cd # cvsup -g -L 2 standard-supfile # cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile # cd /usr/ports/misc/zaptel/ # make ===> Building for zaptel-1.4.6_2 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Hello

    I'm still stuck trying to compile the Zaptel driver to install
    Asterisk on FreeBSD 6.2:

    =============
    # cd
    # cvsup -g -L 2 standard-supfile
    # cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile

    # cd /usr/ports/misc/zaptel/
    # make
    ===> Building for zaptel-1.4.6_2
    make -C zaptel all
    Warning: Object directory not changed from original
    /usr/ports/misc/zaptel/work/zaptel-bsd-1.4.6/zaptel
    cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -Wall -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE
    -std=c99 -nostdinc -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000
    --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000
    -fno-common -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2
    -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -Wall
    -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
    -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef
    -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c zaptel.c
    cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-pointer-sign"
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports/misc/zaptel/work/zaptel-bsd-1.4.6/zaptel.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports/misc/zaptel/work/zaptel-bsd-1.4.6.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports/misc/zaptel.
    =============

    Any idea where I could look for a possible explanation?

    Thank for any tip.

  2. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 02:31:36 +0100, Gilles Ganault
    wrote:
    (snip)
    >cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-pointer-sign"
    >*** Error code 1

    I wonder if maybe the people who ported Asterisk to FreeBSD aren't
    using a more recent version of GCC than what's available in the 6.2
    ports:

    ======
    # cc -v
    Using built-in specs.
    Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 3.4.6 [FreeBSD] 20060305
    ======

    Since GCC was not upgraded by running cvsup, what would be a valid way
    to upgrade it myself? By downloading a package for a more recent
    version of FBSD?

    Thank you.

  3. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:

    > I'm still stuck trying to compile the Zaptel driver to install
    > Asterisk on FreeBSD 6.2:
    >
    >=============
    > # cd
    > # cvsup -g -L 2 standard-supfile

    Remember that this only updates your system source. It doesn't install
    the new system. zaptel appears to be a kernel module--the Makefile says
    it needs to be in sync with the system source. So you should rebuild
    your system before building zaptel:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...makeworld.html

    Incidentally, the -g -L 2 stuff is unnecessary, and if you have csup it
    replaces cvsup.

    > # cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile
    >
    > # cd /usr/ports/misc/zaptel/
    > # make
    >===> Building for zaptel-1.4.6_2
    > make -C zaptel all
    > Warning: Object directory not changed from original
    > /usr/ports/misc/zaptel/work/zaptel-bsd-1.4.6/zaptel
    > cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -Wall -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE
    > -std=c99 -nostdinc -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000
    > --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000
    > -fno-common -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2
    > -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -Wall
    > -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
    > -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef
    > -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c zaptel.c
    > cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-pointer-sign"
    > *** Error code 1
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/misc/zaptel/work/zaptel-bsd-1.4.6/zaptel.
    > *** Error code 1
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/misc/zaptel/work/zaptel-bsd-1.4.6.
    > *** Error code 1
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/misc/zaptel.
    >=============

  4. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 02:31:36 +0100, Gilles Ganault
    > wrote:
    > (snip)
    >>cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-pointer-sign"
    >>*** Error code 1

    > I wonder if maybe the people who ported Asterisk to FreeBSD aren't
    > using a more recent version of GCC than what's available in the 6.2
    > ports:
    >
    >======
    > # cc -v
    > Using built-in specs.
    > Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
    > Thread model: posix
    > gcc version 3.4.6 [FreeBSD] 20060305
    >======

    Well, gcc4.2 and 4.3 are in ports. But the 4.2 binary is called gcc42,
    so it's unlikely they'd get mixed up. If zaptel really needs a later
    gcc, it would be a bug in the port to not have it depend on that.

    > Since GCC was not upgraded by running cvsup,

    Well, no. cvsup just updated the source files. You'll have to build
    the system to get the new binaries. Try that first. If that doesn't
    work, I'd either submit a PR or contact the port maintainer.

    > what would be a valid way to upgrade it myself? By downloading a
    > package for a more recent version of FBSD?

    Installing from the lang/gcc ports would be the right way. But don't do
    that yet, because gcc is a huge port to build and that's probably not
    the problem.

  5. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:59:35 -0000, Warren Block
    wrote:
    >Remember that this only updates your system source. It doesn't install
    >the new system. zaptel appears to be a kernel module--the Makefile says
    >it needs to be in sync with the system source. So you should rebuild
    >your system before building zaptel:
    >
    >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...makeworld.html

    Thanks a lot for the tip.

    However, I ran "# cd /usr/src ; make buildworld" over two hours ago,
    and the screen hasn't displayed anything at all. Is it stuck or doing
    number-crunching on this old AMD Duron?

    Notice that the state of the four "make" is set to "wait":

    ===========
    # top
    last pid: 1252; load averages: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00 up 0+03:00:27
    19:15:48
    28 processes: 1 running, 27 sleeping

    Mem: 7780K Active, 10M Inact, 16M Wired, 10M Buf, 461M Free
    Swap: 999M Total, 999M Free

    PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME WCPU
    COMMAND
    761 root 1 96 0 6252K 3344K select 0:00 0.00% sshd
    906 root 1 8 0 3200K 2088K wait 0:00 0.00% bash
    697 root 1 8 0 1388K 1100K nanslp 0:00 0.00% cron
    555 root 1 96 0 1376K 1028K select 0:00 0.00%
    syslogd
    766 root 1 8 0 3200K 2088K wait 0:00 0.00% bash
    777 root 1 8 0 652K 540K wait 0:00 0.00% make
    633 root 1 96 0 1288K 824K select 0:00 0.00% usbd
    863 root 1 5 0 3104K 1896K ttyin 0:00 0.00% bash
    862 root 1 8 0 628K 516K wait 0:00 0.00% make
    860 root 1 8 0 628K 516K wait 0:00 0.00% make
    771 root 1 8 0 556K 444K wait 0:00 0.00% make
    740 root 1 5 0 1344K 952K ttyin 0:00 0.00% getty
    745 root 1 5 0 1344K 952K ttyin 0:00 0.00% getty
    744 root 1 5 0 1344K 952K ttyin 0:00 0.00% getty
    751 root 1 5 0 1344K 952K ttyin 0:00 0.00% getty
    742 root 1 5 0 1344K 952K ttyin 0:00 0.00% getty
    743 root 1 5 0 1344K 952K ttyin 0:00 0.00% getty
    741 root 1 5 0 1344K 952K ttyin 0:00 0.00% getty
    ===========

  6. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 20:21:45 +0100, Gilles Ganault
    wrote:
    >However, I ran "# cd /usr/src ; make buildworld" over two hours ago,
    >and the screen hasn't displayed anything at all. Is it stuck or doing
    >number-crunching on this old AMD Duron?

    Pfff, found what it was: Like most Linux users, I'm used to Bash, so
    had the following in ~/.chsrc:

    [ -x /usr/local/bin/bash ] && exec /usr/local/bin/bash

    Apparently, "make buildworld" won't work with Bash. The solution is to
    comment the line out, log off-on, and retry.

    HTH,

  7. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > Pfff, found what it was: Like most Linux users, I'm used to Bash, so
    > had the following in ~/.chsrc:
    >
    > [ -x /usr/local/bin/bash ] && exec /usr/local/bin/bash
    >
    > Apparently, "make buildworld" won't work with Bash. The solution is to
    > comment the line out, log off-on, and retry.

    IIRC, you could also just have started sh bfore doing the make buildworld.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  8. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:08:35 UTC, Torfinn Ingolfsen
    wrote:

    > Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > > Pfff, found what it was: Like most Linux users, I'm used to Bash, so
    > > had the following in ~/.chsrc:
    > >
    > > [ -x /usr/local/bin/bash ] && exec /usr/local/bin/bash
    > >
    > > Apparently, "make buildworld" won't work with Bash. The solution is to
    > > comment the line out, log off-on, and retry.

    > IIRC, you could also just have started sh bfore doing the make buildworld.

    Or created an /etc/make.conf containing:

    MAKE_SHELL=sh
    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  9. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On 12 Jan 2008 23:41:45 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:
    >> IIRC, you could also just have started sh bfore doing the make buildworld.

    >Or created an /etc/make.conf containing:
    >
    > MAKE_SHELL=sh

    Thanks for the tip, but I first had to figure out 1) that something
    was wrong (number crunching over the network doesn't trigger HD
    activity, so I thought things were OK), and 2) that if buildworld was
    indeed stuck, it was because of the shell :-/ Learned something new
    today.

    BTW, "make buildworld" has been running for four hours now: Do I
    really need this to solve the Zaptel issue above? If yes, on that ol'
    AMD Duron, how long can I expect this to last, including the other
    steps?

    # make buildworld
    # make buildkernel
    # make installkernel
    # reboot

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...makeworld.html

    Thanks.

  10. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:

    > BTW, "make buildworld" has been running for four hours now: Do I
    > really need this to solve the Zaptel issue above?

    It may not be the particular problem you're having, but according to the
    zaptel Makefile, it can be a problem.

    > If yes, on that ol' AMD Duron, how long can I expect this to last,
    > including the other steps?

    buildworld takes quite a while on slow systems. buildkernel takes a
    while, but not quite as much. Fortunately, it doesn't have to be done
    all that often. How long depends on the CPU, cache, and disk, but
    multiple hours is not unusual. It can help to remove /usr/obj first.

    > # make buildworld
    > # make buildkernel
    > # make installkernel
    > # reboot

    And then

    # make installworld
    # mergemaster
    # reboot

  11. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 01:25:28 -0000, Warren Block
    wrote:
    >It may not be the particular problem you're having, but according to the
    >zaptel Makefile, it can be a problem.

    Thanks. Unfortunately, things are not looking good :-/

    Following "23.4.1 The Canonical Way to Update Your System", I did
    this:

    # make buildworld
    # make buildkernel

    # make installkernel
    kldxref: file isn't dynamically-linked
    kldxref: file isn't dynamically-linked
    kldxref: file isn't dynamically-linked

    Google says: "This hs nothing to do with DEFAULT. Instead it is a
    -current only wanring based on work that Ru@ did to install the
    symbols for the modules and kernel. It really is a harmless warning."

    Ok then...

    # reboot
    =>Here, the computer is stuck at "hpttr: no controller detected."

    Maybe I should just reinstall 6.2, and compile Asterisk from source
    instead of ports?

  12. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Gilles Ganault writes:

    > Apparently, "make buildworld" won't work with Bash. The solution is to
    > comment the line out, log off-on, and retry.

    I make buildworld under bash all the time.

  13. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Begin <44ir1xkgzg.fsf@Lowell-Desk.lan>
    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 08:11:31 -0500,
    Lowell Gilbert wrote:
    > Gilles Ganault writes:
    >
    >> Apparently, "make buildworld" won't work with Bash. The solution is to
    >> comment the line out, log off-on, and retry.

    > I make buildworld under bash all the time.

    The difference here is that he's effectively replaced tcsh with bash
    through his if-there-is-bash-then-exec-bash trick. The right way to
    change your login shell is by using chsh. That way scripts that expect
    to get t/csh when they ask for it won't get bash after all.

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 01:25:28 -0000, Warren Block
    > wrote:
    >>It may not be the particular problem you're having, but according to the
    >>zaptel Makefile, it can be a problem.

    > Thanks. Unfortunately, things are not looking good :-/
    >
    > Following "23.4.1 The Canonical Way to Update Your System", I did
    > this:
    >
    > # make buildworld
    > # make buildkernel
    >
    > # make installkernel
    > kldxref: file isn't dynamically-linked
    > kldxref: file isn't dynamically-linked
    > kldxref: file isn't dynamically-linked
    >
    > Google says: "This hs nothing to do with DEFAULT. Instead it is a
    > -current only wanring based on work that Ru@ did to install the
    > symbols for the modules and kernel. It really is a harmless warning."
    >
    > Ok then...
    >
    > # reboot
    >=>Here, the computer is stuck at "hpttr: no controller detected."

    Sorry, no idea about that. Maybe it'll timeout and go on eventually.

    > Maybe I should just reinstall 6.2, and compile Asterisk from source
    > instead of ports?

    Or reinstall 6.2 including source but don't update the source. The
    Asterisk install from ports should be okay with that. Looking at the
    Asterisk Makefile shows that you can build it without Zaptel, too.

  15. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On 13 Jan 2008 13:32:44 GMT, jpd
    wrote:
    > The right way to change your login shell is by using chsh

    OK, so it's either:
    - /etc/make.conf -> "MAKE_SHELL=sh"
    - run "chsh". Can I avoid having to type this manually, and have some
    script run the command when I log on?

  16. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Begin
    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:55:08 +0100, Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On 13 Jan 2008 13:32:44 GMT, jpd
    > wrote:
    >> The right way to change your login shell is by using chsh

    [snip]
    > - run "chsh". Can I avoid having to type this manually, and have some
    > script run the command when I log on?

    You run it manually. Once. It updates the user database. Login again and
    you're done. Try it, you'll be amazed.

  17. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:54:31 -0000, Warren Block
    wrote:
    >Sorry, no idea about that. Maybe it'll timeout and go on eventually.

    Nope, I left it there for 10mn, it's stuck. I didn't get this error
    before.

    >Or reinstall 6.2 including source but don't update the source. The
    >Asterisk install from ports should be okay with that. Looking at the
    >Asterisk Makefile shows that you can build it without Zaptel, too.

    But I need Zaptel because I have a PCI card :-/

    In your opinion, what could be the cause of the pb? That the persons
    in charge of the Asterisk/Zaptel ports don't actually use 6.2, and
    assume some dependencies that are actually available in more recent
    version of FreeBSD?

    Thanks.

  18. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:54:31 -0000, Warren Block
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Or reinstall 6.2 including source but don't update the source. The
    >>Asterisk install from ports should be okay with that. Looking at the
    >>Asterisk Makefile shows that you can build it without Zaptel, too.

    > But I need Zaptel because I have a PCI card :-/
    >
    > In your opinion, what could be the cause of the pb? That the persons
    > in charge of the Asterisk/Zaptel ports don't actually use 6.2, and
    > assume some dependencies that are actually available in more recent
    > version of FreeBSD?

    Not likely. Port Makefiles will usually have conditions for different
    major versions of the OS.

    Just for fun, I just now built and installed Asterisk. I turned off
    every option except Zaptel. There weren't any errors. Here's my uname
    -a:

    FreeBSD speedy.wonkity.com 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #0: Tue Jan 1 14:16:24 MST 2008
    root@speedy.wonkity.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SPEEDY i386

  19. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 19:19:24 -0000, Warren Block
    wrote:
    >Just for fun, I just now built and installed Asterisk. I turned off
    >every option except Zaptel. There weren't any errors. Here's my uname
    >-a:
    >
    >FreeBSD speedy.wonkity.com 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #0: Tue Jan 1 14:16:24 MST 2008
    >root@speedy.wonkity.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SPEEDY i386

    Mmm... I installed 6.2, since it's the current RELEASE version, and
    I'm just too newbie to take the risk of using anything else.

    So, at this point, I reinstalled 6.2 from the Net. What do you think I
    should do? Should I update the host with newer stuff, and if yes, how?
    Following the instructions in Chap 23 again, at the risk of getting
    the error once more?

  20. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 19:19:24 -0000, Warren Block
    > wrote:
    >>Just for fun, I just now built and installed Asterisk. I turned off
    >>every option except Zaptel. There weren't any errors. Here's my uname
    >>-a:
    >>
    >>FreeBSD speedy.wonkity.com 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #0: Tue Jan 1 14:16:24 MST 2008
    >>root@speedy.wonkity.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SPEEDY i386

    > Mmm... I installed 6.2, since it's the current RELEASE version, and
    > I'm just too newbie to take the risk of using anything else.

    Mine is just 6-STABLE, but on your machine it'll take a while to build.
    6.2-RELEASE should be fine.

    > So, at this point, I reinstalled 6.2 from the Net. What do you think I
    > should do? Should I update the host with newer stuff, and if yes, how?

    Install source from the 6.2 CD, if you didn't already. Don't update it.
    In fact, don't change anything you don't have to, like bash instead of
    csh. (csh/tcsh with a decent .cshrc is very tolerable.)

    pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui (I don't think 6.2-RELEASE had csup, or you
    could use it).

    Update ports. Use the /usr/share/examples/ports-supfile.

    Don't mess with /etc/make.conf or other stuff.

    Then install Asterisk from ports, turning off everything you don't need.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast