[FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports? - BSD

This is a discussion on [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports? - BSD ; On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:05:54 UTC, Warren Block wrote: > Gilles Ganault wrote: > > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 19:19:24 -0000, Warren Block > > wrote: > >>Just for fun, I just now built and installed Asterisk. I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    wrote:

    > Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 19:19:24 -0000, Warren Block
    > > wrote:
    > >>Just for fun, I just now built and installed Asterisk. I turned off
    > >>every option except Zaptel. There weren't any errors. Here's my uname
    > >>-a:
    > >>
    > >>FreeBSD speedy.wonkity.com 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #0: Tue Jan 1 14:16:24 MST 2008
    > >>root@speedy.wonkity.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SPEEDY i386

    > > Mmm... I installed 6.2, since it's the current RELEASE version, and
    > > I'm just too newbie to take the risk of using anything else.

    > Mine is just 6-STABLE, but on your machine it'll take a while to build.
    > 6.2-RELEASE should be fine.
    >
    > > So, at this point, I reinstalled 6.2 from the Net. What do you think I
    > > should do? Should I update the host with newer stuff, and if yes, how?

    > Install source from the 6.2 CD, if you didn't already. Don't update it.
    > In fact, don't change anything you don't have to, like bash instead of
    > csh. (csh/tcsh with a decent .cshrc is very tolerable.)
    >
    > pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui (I don't think 6.2-RELEASE had csup, or you
    > could use it).

    No need - 6.2-RELEASE has csup.

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  2. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:05:54 -0000, Warren Block
    wrote:
    >Install source from the 6.2 CD, if you didn't already.

    I installed 6.2 from the 10MB boot ISO, "Minimal install" so the Ports
    aren't there.

    What does "install source" mean? Is it running "csup
    standard-supfile"?

    I know, newbie stuff :-)

  3. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:05:54 -0000, Warren Block
    > wrote:
    >>Install source from the 6.2 CD, if you didn't already.

    > I installed 6.2 from the 10MB boot ISO, "Minimal install" so the Ports
    > aren't there.

    I've found that pretty much every time I get a mini-ISO, I end up
    downloading a full one later. So I don't bother with the minis any
    more.

    > What does "install source" mean? Is it running "csup
    > standard-supfile"?

    No, well at least not as-is. You could use the stable-supfile and
    change the tag, but let's not do that.

    You can do it with sysinstall:

    sysinstall
    Configure
    Distributions
    Mark "src".
    Okay/Exit/Install/whatever it asks. It should download the source tree
    (/usr/src) from the net. You may have to tell it to use FTP and which
    server.

    > I know, newbie stuff :-)

    Everybody starts that way, and thanks to CRS syndrome, some of us pretty
    much remain there. 8-)

  4. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:11:25 -0000, Warren Block
    wrote:
    >No, well at least not as-is. You could use the stable-supfile and
    >change the tag, but let's not do that.
    >
    >You can do it with sysinstall:

    OK. So /usr/src is the source code of FreeBSD proper, while
    /usr/ports/ is the source code of the thousands of applications that's
    been ported to FBSD, ready to be compiled (as opposed to installing
    binary packages with pkg_add)?

    Actually, while waiting for a reply, I ran the following commands to
    install Lighttpd + PHP + MySQL:

    # portsnap fetch
    # portsnap extract
    # portsnap update

    Hopefully, it's the same as running SysInstall > Configure
    Distributions Mark "src" > OK.

    >Everybody starts that way, and thanks to CRS syndrome, some of us pretty
    >much remain there. 8-)

    http://www.google.com/search?q=crs+syndrome

    :-)

  5. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:11:25 -0000, Warren Block
    > wrote:
    >>No, well at least not as-is. You could use the stable-supfile and
    >>change the tag, but let's not do that.
    >>
    >>You can do it with sysinstall:

    > OK. So /usr/src is the source code of FreeBSD proper,

    Exactly.

    > while /usr/ports/ is the source code of the thousands of applications
    > that's been ported to FBSD,

    Almost. The ports tree doesn't have the actual source, but a Makefile
    and a few other things like patches. Think of it as a "how to build
    from this application from source on FreeBSD" set of instructions. When
    you do a make in a port dir, then it goes out to the net and retrieves
    the application source.

    > ready to be compiled (as opposed to installing binary packages with
    > pkg_add)?

    Yes.

    > Actually, while waiting for a reply, I ran the following commands to
    > install Lighttpd + PHP + MySQL:
    >
    > # portsnap fetch
    > # portsnap extract
    > # portsnap update
    >
    > Hopefully, it's the same as running SysInstall > Configure
    > Distributions Mark "src" > OK.

    Nope--you updated the ports, which is fine. portsnap is the new
    alternate way to do that instead of with csup. But still no system
    source.

    Okay, the other way is to use csup. I haven't tested that tag, but I
    think it's right.

    (log in as root)
    cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile /root/6.2.0-supfile

    Change the default host and tag lines:

    *default host=cvsup.fr.FreeBSD.org
    *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_2_0_RELEASE

    And then get it. This will take a while:

    csup 6.2.0-supfile

  6. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 00:36:43 UTC, Gilles Ganault
    wrote:

    > OK. So /usr/src is the source code of FreeBSD proper,

    Yes.

    > while
    > /usr/ports/ is the source code of the thousands of applications that's
    > been ported to FBSD, ready to be compiled (as opposed to installing
    > binary packages with pkg_add)?

    Not quite. It's a set of skeleton directories, makefiles and patches.
    The actual source code is downloaded (often from the maintainer's site)
    when you 'make' the port. If it were the entire source code, it'd be
    many times its (already quite large) size.

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  7. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 01:21:46 -0000, Warren Block
    wrote:
    >csup 6.2.0-supfile

    Thanks a lot. I could compile Zaptel and Asterisk :-)

    I just had the following errors at the end of compiling Asterisk:

    ==========
    + Asterisk has successfully been installed. +
    + If you would like to install the sample +
    + configuration files (overwriting any +
    + existing config files), run: +
    + +
    + gmake samples +
    + +
    [...]
    # gmake samples
    Makefile:54: *** missing separator. Stop.
    # make samples
    make: don't know how to make samples. Stop
    ==========

    Am I missing something?

  8. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On 14 Jan 2008 06:34:39 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:
    >Not quite. It's a set of skeleton directories, makefiles and patches.
    >The actual source code is downloaded (often from the maintainer's site)
    >when you 'make' the port.

    Makes sense. Thank you.

  9. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 01:21:46 -0000, Warren Block
    > wrote:
    >>csup 6.2.0-supfile

    > Thanks a lot. I could compile Zaptel and Asterisk :-)
    >
    > I just had the following errors at the end of compiling Asterisk:
    >
    >==========
    > + Asterisk has successfully been installed. +
    > + If you would like to install the sample +
    > + configuration files (overwriting any +
    > + existing config files), run: +
    > + +
    > + gmake samples +
    > + +
    > [...]
    > # gmake samples
    > Makefile:54: *** missing separator. Stop.
    > # make samples
    > make: don't know how to make samples. Stop
    >==========
    >
    > Am I missing something?

    Yes--that's a message from Asterisk. It doesn't know it's being built
    as a port. gmake will try the nearest Makefile--the port's Makefile,
    not the Asterisk Makefile the message is expecting.

    However, you should look in /usr/local/etc/asterisk first. There are
    lots of sample files (-dist) in there already, and they should have been
    adjusted by the port so they're more likely to be correct for FreeBSD.

  10. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:11:45 -0000, Warren Block
    wrote:
    >Yes--that's a message from Asterisk. It doesn't know it's being built
    >as a port. gmake will try the nearest Makefile--the port's Makefile,
    >not the Asterisk Makefile the message is expecting.

    OK. There were indeed some sample files already. I guess they were
    installed before by "make install", although under Linux, this doesn't
    install samples.

    Generally speaking, is this kind of error an oversight by the person
    who ported a software to FBSD's Ports collection?

  11. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:11:45 -0000, Warren Block
    > wrote:
    >>Yes--that's a message from Asterisk. It doesn't know it's being built
    >>as a port. gmake will try the nearest Makefile--the port's Makefile,
    >>not the Asterisk Makefile the message is expecting.

    Originally, I meant to note the difference between gmake and FreeBSD's
    make, too. The ports Makefiles are for BSD make, and gmake will
    probably choke on them.

    > OK. There were indeed some sample files already. I guess they were
    > installed before by "make install", although under Linux, this doesn't
    > install samples.
    >
    > Generally speaking, is this kind of error an oversight by the person
    > who ported a software to FBSD's Ports collection?

    It's standard practice for sample config files to be installed. The
    port probably ought to be modified so the message tells the user where
    the example files are.

    Whether what's in /usr/local/etc/asterisk are all the examples, or the
    user really does need to use gmake in the port workdir, I don't know.
    Once you've got a handle on that, I encourage you to check with the port
    maintainer (make maintainer), man send-pr, or the more accessible web
    version:

    http://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.html

    (It's like investing. It may not pay off for a while (or ever), but
    you'll be glad when it does.)

    I hope you'll post about how well Asterisk works for you, and where you
    got the hardware and what it cost.

  12. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:23:59 -0000, Warren Block
    wrote:
    >Once you've got a handle on that, I encourage you to check with the port
    >maintainer (make maintainer), man send-pr, or the more accessible web
    >version:
    >http://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.html

    Will do. I keep notes of things I try.

    >I hope you'll post about how well Asterisk works for you, and where you
    >got the hardware and what it cost.

    At this point, it's working OK. Zaptel can configure the PCI card to
    which I connect an analog phone line, and Asterisk reacts to an
    incoming phone call.

    I've also installed Apache + PHP + MySQL since incoming calls will
    need to launch a PHP script that will look for information in a SQLite
    database. I'm also looking at some poor man's CRM so that our little
    team can keep track of calls, who handled them, etc.

    The hardware is minimal, since it's a Pentium 233MHz with 256MB I got
    off eBay for 20E, but I only need to handle one phone line anyway, and
    a couple of remote SIP or IAX phones.

    Anyway, I wanted to thank you guys for the great help I got. I could
    never have gone that far with FreeBSD without your help!

  13. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:23:59 -0000, Warren Block
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I hope you'll post about how well Asterisk works for you, and where you
    >>got the hardware and what it cost.

    > At this point, it's working OK. Zaptel can configure the PCI card to
    > which I connect an analog phone line, and Asterisk reacts to an
    > incoming phone call.

    Which PCI card? How much did it cost?

    > Anyway, I wanted to thank you guys for the great help I got. I could
    > never have gone that far with FreeBSD without your help!

    You're welcome. Help out somebody else if you get the chance!

  14. Re: [FreeBSD 6.2] Error compiling Zaptel from Ports?

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 04:28:26 -0000, Warren Block
    wrote:
    >Which PCI card? How much did it cost?

    A clone of the Digium TDM card built by OpenVox. About $85.

    http://www.openvox.com.cn/products.php?genre_id=9

    >You're welcome. Help out somebody else if you get the chance!

    I do, when I can :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2