Rebuilding a single kernel module - BSD

This is a discussion on Rebuilding a single kernel module - BSD ; Hello Everyone, In relation to a FreeBSD bug I reported earlier I'd like to carry out some debugging (more precisely investigation only) myself. For this, time to time I need to rebuild the kernel module in question. I am hoping ...

  1. Rebuilding a single kernel module

    Hello Everyone,

    In relation to a FreeBSD bug I reported earlier I'd like to carry out some
    debugging (more precisely investigation only) myself.
    For this, time to time I need to rebuild the kernel module in question.
    I am hoping that I can do this without rebuilding the entire kernel, because
    a "make buildkernel" takes a little more than an hour on this hardware.

    I assume there is a way to build only the modified part, which is one of the
    if_xxx.ko modules. Could somebody point me to a location that documents
    this process. Actually, I am happy with a brief intro too.

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  2. Re: Rebuilding a single kernel module

    Keve Nagy wrote:
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > In relation to a FreeBSD bug I reported earlier I'd like to carry out some
    > debugging (more precisely investigation only) myself.
    > For this, time to time I need to rebuild the kernel module in question.
    > I am hoping that I can do this without rebuilding the entire kernel, because
    > a "make buildkernel" takes a little more than an hour on this hardware.
    >
    > I assume there is a way to build only the modified part, which is one of the
    > if_xxx.ko modules. Could somebody point me to a location that documents
    > this process. Actually, I am happy with a brief intro too.

    "make -DNO_CLEAN buildkernel" or
    cd to /usr/src/sys/modules/xxx and do a "make"

  3. Re: Rebuilding a single kernel module

    Max Haus wrote:

    > Keve Nagy wrote:
    >> Hello Everyone,
    >>
    >> In relation to a FreeBSD bug I reported earlier I'd like to carry out
    >> some debugging (more precisely investigation only) myself.
    >> For this, time to time I need to rebuild the kernel module in question.
    >> I am hoping that I can do this without rebuilding the entire kernel,
    >> because a "make buildkernel" takes a little more than an hour on this
    >> hardware.
    >>
    >> I assume there is a way to build only the modified part, which is one of
    >> the if_xxx.ko modules. Could somebody point me to a location that
    >> documents this process. Actually, I am happy with a brief intro too.

    > "make -DNO_CLEAN buildkernel" or
    > cd to /usr/src/sys/modules/xxx and do a "make"

    I thought the latter could be an option, but I was afraid it doesn't work
    for kernel modules. Or even if it does (I mean if it compiles) then the
    module will not work with the kernel, will crash, etc.
    However, now that you suggested it I will give it a try.
    I didn't know about the first one though. Self explainig, and pretty useful.
    Thanks!

    Regards,
    Keve

    --